XDuoo X3 DSD 24Bit / 192KHz CS4398 Chip Lossless Music Player
Feb 23, 2016 at 2:48 PM Post #1,801 of 5,194
I don't know, it's kinda hard to find much info on it. I'm imagining that's the case.

I own the Hippo Biscuit+ and did a review here on head fi for it, in short the signal was very clean and the sound was decent, punching above Sansa's imo. However it was very buggy, to the point I am now suspicious my unit was defective!
I am intrigued by this little fella, priced around the $88 mark, it's not a budget killer, and may offer a EQ amongst other things. If it sounds as clean and detailed as the Biscuit+ but is more stable then that's a nod in the right direction.

Feb 23, 2016 at 2:52 PM Post #1,802 of 5,194

I mentioned in my post that I serached for some freeware and found this.  I've downloaded it but haven't as yet converted any files.  I hope to experiment some in the coming week or two.  Sorry, wish I had the specifics you seek.

As an aside I'm still digitizing my analog vinyl and tape collection which is a very s-l-o-w and laborious process.  First recording the analog material in real time on a digital audio recorder and then processing it with VinylStudio software which entails a number of steps such as playing sections to confirm exactly where I want the track breaks placed, etc.  To compare ripping a CD in EAC runs 5 or 6 minutes including the search for album art.  The complete process of digitizing an LP can run 2 hours more or less.

Out of curiosity I've downloaded the application (Switch Audio File Converter) and I've ran it on an old laptop running Win XP (I use this laptop for tests i.e. utilities that can be dodgy, etc). After running the installation (quick job) I've tried to carry out the test FLAC file conversion (44.1 KHz to 48 KHz). It did not work as it prompted a message stating that a necessary 'exe' file needs to be downloaded from the developer's site. Connection to the site was not possible because I was running the laptop as a standalone device (without Internet connection)... So this was in my opinion a bad point for this 'free' application as it is clearly trying to install a marker of some sort on your machine; unless one has got a PC/laptop with no personal data and willing to take the risk of allowing uncontrolled access from  the Web I'd say NO to this application.

It's worth noting that if there's a serious amount of FLAC files that needs converting it may be beneficial to aquire a PC/laptop for this purpose only.

Now as the allocated laptop is dedicated for exactly the testing of possibly dodgy applications I've connected it to the Internet and I've converted a FLAC file (size 20 GB exactly as it happened). The resulting file can also be compressed (again) as this feature is available in the options. As I did not want to change the quality of the file too much I've chosen ZERO compression and I obtained a 22.9 GB FLAC file in cca. 4-5 seconds (the laptop's CPU is an INTEL Core 2 Duo 1.2 GHz and the RAM is 2 GB... so nothing Earth shaking).

Please draw your own conclusions...

Feb 23, 2016 at 10:47 PM Post #1,803 of 5,194
When it comes to charging, I noticed that it doesn't matter whether you use an 1A or an 2A charger, it takes about 3 hours with either one of those(from completely empty state). Luckily you can still listen to music while it's being charged.

Feb 24, 2016 at 8:06 AM Post #1,805 of 5,194
  I've converted a FLAC file (size 20 GB exactly as it happened). The resulting file can also be compressed (again) as this feature is available in the options. As I did not want to change the quality of the file too much I've chosen ZERO compression and I obtained a 22.9 GB FLAC file in cca. 4-5 seconds (the laptop's CPU is an INTEL Core 2 Duo 1.2 GHz and the RAM is 2 GB... so nothing Earth shaking).

As FLAC is a lossless compressor regardless of the compression level you choose, the conversion process is from FLAC 44.1kHz to WAV 44.1kHz then resampled to WAV 48kHz (where artifacts may appear) back to FLAC 48kHz (this is a lossless compressed version of the possibly artifact containing WAV 48kHz file). So you will get no different result whether you compress to FLAC at compression 0 or 8 - the resulting file will contain the lossless version of the resampled WAV 48kHz.

I use Foobar for mass conversion but for individual files I use the free Audacity application. Audacity has a host of other features for editing wav files and one of these is the ability to add equalisation to the wav file and then export as a flac file. This may be useful for those that know what their headphones need and want to adjust for the X3s lack of equalisation.

Also very useful to split those annoying last known track on album / hidden track files that seem to occur on so many audio cds these days. Load the combined flac into audacity, split the double track into the two song tracks and get rid of the extra silence and export back out as individual flacs. You may have to download the flac executable seperately to install into audacity but I used the version that came with EAC (Exact Audio Copy).

Feb 24, 2016 at 2:36 PM Post #1,806 of 5,194
  I have two of them in mine and it certainly does! 

Works fine in my Xduoo X3.

Thanks guys.  I've gone from a Silicon Power 128Gb + Samsung 64Gb (both Class 10 UHS-1) to a pair of Silicon Power 128Gb cards.  The Sandisk 200Gb cards are still too rich for my blood but it's nice to know that in the future should I want to expand beyond 256Gb on the X3 there is a path
biggrin.gif

Feb 24, 2016 at 2:38 PM Post #1,807 of 5,194

I use Foobar for mass conversion...

What component(s) are you adding to foobar2000 to accomplish this 44.1 to 48 conversion?  And does the conversion involve either using a playlist or having to "click 'n drop" files into some processing folder?   THX

Feb 24, 2016 at 6:15 PM Post #1,808 of 5,194
  What component(s) are you adding to foobar2000 to accomplish this 44.1 to 48 conversion?  And does the conversion involve either using a playlist or having to "click 'n drop" files into some processing folder?   THX

https://hydrogenaud.io/index.php/topic,67373.0.html

I am using the plugins from here, there are 3 versions - one is the general do all version, one just resamples any files that are not the sample rate set and the other resamples files where the files meet the sample rate set.

The conversion is simply you add tracks / folders etc to the current playlist and convert - it is a fairly fast process - seconds per album.

Feb 24, 2016 at 7:36 PM Post #1,809 of 5,194

https://hydrogenaud.io/index.php/topic,67373.0.html

I am using the plugins from here, there are 3 versions - one is the general do all version, one just resamples any files that are not the sample rate set and the other resamples files where the files meet the sample rate set.

The conversion is simply you add tracks / folders etc to the current playlist and convert - it is a fairly fast process - seconds per album.

Which is which?  Resampler (SoX), Resampler (PPHS), Resampler (dBpoweramp/SSRC)?  I looked through the discussion for these but remained confused as to which does what as all 3 are loaded by the ddl download.  And no I haven't yet tried configuring any of these component plug ins or opening a playlist for conversion.  Want to understand these plug ins better first.

Guess I'd also need to edit my Preferences-Media Library-Music Folders (monitoring) to reflect only the X3's SD cards for conversion. 

Feb 25, 2016 at 3:27 AM Post #1,810 of 5,194

As FLAC is a lossless compressor regardless of the compression level you choose, the conversion process is from FLAC 44.1kHz to WAV 44.1kHz then resampled to WAV 48kHz (where artifacts may appear) back to FLAC 48kHz (this is a lossless compressed version of the possibly artifact containing WAV 48kHz file). So you will get no different result whether you compress to FLAC at compression 0 or 8 - the resulting file will contain the lossless version of the resampled WAV 48kHz.

I beg to differ... In perfectly written application the compression algorythm SHOULD not alter anything but the size of the file; one cannot know the degree of accuracy of  a 'free' application... I've learned long time ago not to go 'knee-deep' into many things so no compression on an already compressed file was my safe choice. The resulting file was 14% larger... no big deal considering the memory cards' prices nowadays.

I use Foobar for mass conversion but for individual files I use the free Audacity application. Audacity has a host of other features for editing wav files and one of these is the ability to add equalisation to the wav file and then export as a flac file. This may be useful for those that know what their headphones need and want to adjust for the X3s lack of equalisation.

Foobar is the 'Swiss Army type' multi-purpose application of choice for the persons who like to dwelve into digital processing and creation of music files. It's a great application and it is FREE... and it's got a large number of enthusiastic developers. What's not to like...?

The only snag (if I am allowed to use this word in connection to a perfect application) is that Foobar 2000 got quite complex over the years and may look daunting to someone prone just to Plug'n'Play...

Feb 25, 2016 at 7:17 AM Post #1,811 of 5,194
To be clear;

A WAV is a WAV is a WAV.

A FLAC is a FLAC is a FLAC. A Flac is like a ZIP file. It will always return to the original block of data, if you want it to, no matter how many times you "zip" it.

A lossy algorythm is a different thing altogether.

On resampling and E.Q. etc:

Resampling to a different rate than the original sample rate is impossible to make absolutely invisible ( inaudible ). Try a test to prove it, if you like. Save a copy of the original file, resample it to a different sample rate then resample it back to the first sample rate. Then, run a duplicate file finder program, or use checksums if you prefer. You'll find that the original and the 'returned' to original, are different. ( make sure there is no tag data before you start this experiment ).

EQ, DSP effects and even level adjustments use limited decimal place mathematics, and therefore loose precise fidelity at each generational use.

Feb 25, 2016 at 6:03 PM Post #1,812 of 5,194
I just started reading this thread and have one question.  How it performs as a dac? I am interested in using it not only DAP but external DAC for my computer. Will it work? If so, how good it is as a dac? If anyone can help answering this, would be greatly appreciated.Thank you.

Feb 25, 2016 at 6:34 PM Post #1,813 of 5,194
  I just started reading this thread and have one question.  How it performs as a dac? I am interested in using it not only DAP but external DAC for my computer. Will it work? If so, how good it is as a dac? If anyone can help answering this, would be greatly appreciated.Thank you.

No, It wont work as a DAC for your computer. Line Out on the player is pretty good though.

Feb 25, 2016 at 6:56 PM Post #1,814 of 5,194

No, It wont work as a DAC for your computer. Line Out on the player is pretty good though.

Thank you. Can I ask a dumb question? What does Line Out do? Does it mean that line out to speaker? Sorry, I am quite newbie on audio world and not sure what it does. 

Feb 25, 2016 at 7:26 PM Post #1,815 of 5,194
  Thank you. Can I ask a dumb question? What does Line Out do? Does it mean that line out to speaker? Sorry, I am quite newbie on audio world and not sure what it does. 

Line out provides a fixed voltage signal which is most commonly used to feed a portable headphone amplifier equiped with a volume control.  It can also be used as a "source" feeding a music system just like a CD player, turntable, etc. do.  Trust this helps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back