xDuoo X2 - small lossless player with microSD and OLED!
Jun 6, 2021 at 3:32 PM Post #2,071 of 2,087
X2S Initial impressions:
I've used my X2S for 4 days now. I really enjoy how punchy the audio is by default. FLAC files of live concerts seem really energetic, as if they're broadcast live on the TV. X2S also very good hooked up to any small speaker via line in. Aside from the rattling volume buttons, the build quality of mine is good.

The issues addressed by previous posters are correct. I also noticed it has the apostrophe font gap issue, common with other Chinese DAPs where there' s an unnecessary blank space in filenames with apostrophes.

Biggest bugbears - the tiny display that's near useless outdoors in sunshine, made worse by brightness being one of several settings that always reset to default once switched off. Both are infuriating.

TL : DR
This is IMO, a terrific sounding, no-frills little DAP. But it desperately deserves better firmware than the released v1.2b (and volume buttons that are rattle free). A flawed gem.

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2021 at 11:14 AM Post #2,072 of 2,087
So it turns out that like other xDuoo models (x2 V1, x3 V1), the reason the display can't be read in bright sunshine outdoors is because the plastic window over the OLED display is smoked (for aesthetic reasons). What they should have done is use a clear plastic window with a screen printed or vinyl sticker surround as a aesthetic bezel.

I think the bezel on my Sony MP3 player was screen printed on the inside of the window, which gives a seamless look.

Last edited:
Jun 9, 2021 at 5:06 AM Post #2,073 of 2,087
So it turns out that like other xDuoo models (x2 V1, x3 V1), the reason the display can't be read in bright sunshine outdoors is because the plastic window over the OLED display is smoked (for asthetic reasons). What they should have done is use a clear plastic window with a screen printed or vinyl sticker surround as a asthetic bezel.

i just took the mirror screen off my old X2's , i have received my new X2S and will be doing the same with this. why they continue to implement this design flaw (old X3 also) beats me.

Jun 9, 2021 at 7:53 AM Post #2,074 of 2,087
i just took the mirror screen off my old X2's , i have received my new X2S and will be doing the same with this. why they continue to implement this design flaw (old X3 also) beats me.
I'm too ham-fisted to attempt the clear screen mod on mine. I'll get annoyed with myself if the replacement screen looks askew.

Presumably since those old DAPs were launched many years ago, the negative feedback was forgotten about.

Last edited:
Jun 11, 2021 at 7:11 AM Post #2,075 of 2,087
I'm too ham-fisted to attempt the clear screen mod on mine. I'll get annoyed with myself if the replacement screen looks askew.

Presumably since those old DAPs were launched many years ago, the negative feedback was forgotten about.
I didn't bother putting a replacement screen on the old X2's I had. Didn't seem to need it. I've yet to pull the screen off the X2S to see what it looks like. Still home working, no commute so sunlight affecting screen visibility hasn't kicked in yet

Jul 23, 2021 at 9:32 AM Post #2,076 of 2,087
5 years later and a cracked screen, but I still use this thing. It has served me well over these long years.
I do wish we could rockbox it, because this firmware is just awful.

Also I'm on firmware V7.0, but on the website I see the latest version is V7.0E.
How much of a difference is there? Is it worth it to upgrade? Does it actually fix any of these silly issues on this device?

Aug 22, 2021 at 10:37 AM Post #2,077 of 2,087
Just found that X2S firmware v.1.3 was released nearly 3 weeks ago, now it support USB DAC.

The information of the update:

Firmware version:V1.3
Release Date:August 3,2021

Upgrade firmware steps:
1. Put the "xduoo-X2S.HEX" file in to the root of the X2S TF Card.
2. Enter "System Settings", select "Auto upgrade", select"yes",the player will automatically update.
3. The player will automatically restart after the update is completed, and enter the System Settings to see whether the system information about the player is the latest version.

Firmware updated content:
1. Add USB DAC function
2. Update the Russian language library.

Note:
1.During the update, please make sure power supply.

USB DAC function operation steps:
1. Use USB cable connect X2S's USB port to computer's, select "USB DAC" on the X2S, and press the enter key to enter.
2. After the computer recognizes the X2S(the name is USB AUDIO,no driver is required), set "USB AUDIO" as the default playback device.
3. You can listen to music by playing a song on your computer now.

Note :
1. The USB DAC interface only displays the words "USB DAC" and does not display other information.
2. The initial volume of the USB DAC is 50% after the upgrade first time . The volume can be adjusted by the X2S's volume up/down buttons, or adjusted the player on the computer, but adjusted the volume of the computer system does not work.
3. You can connect your mobile phone USB to X2S's USB as USB DAC through a USB cable with OTG function, but the mobile phone will charge to X2S, so it is not recommended to connect the mobile phone

Aug 24, 2021 at 6:20 PM Post #2,078 of 2,087
Pleased to say the new X2S firmware has fixed a few issues. FLAC tags are now read and device settings are now remembered after being switched off. Progress!

It still does two slow scans of your MicroSD card before it settles into normal operation.

I did notice there's a bug affecting some albums, upon pressing the forward button for the next track to play, the current track starts from the beginning instead. Another press of the button then successfully skips that track.

My own X2S seems to have a battery issue. I'm not sure if it's the battery going bad (which is rubbish for a 7 month old device), or other components or the firmware causing a 'parasitic drain' of the battery overnight. As long as I recharge the thing daily it's not an issue, if I don't it has 1-2 minutes of charge left before it shuts off.

Last edited:
Aug 26, 2021 at 10:24 AM Post #2,080 of 2,087
Last edited:
Jun 4, 2022 at 9:36 AM Post #2,082 of 2,087
Hello.
I am the owner of xDuoo X2S for a month now and its a really good player for that price.
Was looking for a case for it, could not find it, so i designed it and 3D printed for myself.
He are the photos of v01_Case.
If You want the v02 (assembled with screws)
just download it HERE

Attachments

• DSC_3731.jpg.bbe93b47bdc2289556f89a02ae2aecd4.jpg
    DSC_3731.jpg.bbe93b47bdc2289556f89a02ae2aecd4.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 0
  • DSC_3732.jpg.e6b5c0c06ce89b785d3eaaf40295ce34.jpg
    DSC_3732.jpg.e6b5c0c06ce89b785d3eaaf40295ce34.jpg
    87 KB · Views: 0
  • DSC_3733.jpg.54ab1b4570ef357f7a49e2d837dffdb9.jpg
    DSC_3733.jpg.54ab1b4570ef357f7a49e2d837dffdb9.jpg
    89.6 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Jun 4, 2022 at 1:49 PM Post #2,083 of 2,087
Hello.
I am the owner of xDuoo X2S for a month now and its a really good player for that price.
Was looking for a case for it, could not find it, so i designed it and 3D printed for myself.
He are the photos of v01_Case.
If You want the v02 (assembled with screws)
just download it HERE
Wow! Amazing job, mate!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back