xDuoo X2 - small lossless player with microSD and OLED!
May 8, 2016 at 4:42 AM Post #1,786 of 2,087
i wish i'd skipped to the end of this thread after reading all f the positive reviews to find out about the reliability issues. hopefully my player will at least last until i get upgrade fever. it seems even positive reviews can be misleading, at least when it comes to media players. a few years ago, all the buzz was about the hippo gumstick with its class a amp, so i bought the cube 60 version of it, and never got along with it because it would blast at the start of every track and then annoyingly drop the volume an 8th os a second later for every track regardless of volume setting and updating the firmware didn't fix the issue. then there was the day i accidentally switched the language to chinese and spent the better part of an hour finding the language setting by trial and error.

there are no free meals

May 9, 2016 at 3:57 PM Post #1,787 of 2,087
  i wish i'd skipped to the end of this thread after reading all f the positive reviews to find out about the reliability issues. hopefully my player will at least last until i get upgrade fever. it seems even positive reviews can be misleading, at least when it comes to media players. a few years ago, all the buzz was about the hippo gumstick with its class a amp, so i bought the cube 60 version of it, and never got along with it because it would blast at the start of every track and then annoyingly drop the volume an 8th os a second later for every track regardless of volume setting and updating the firmware didn't fix the issue. then there was the day i accidentally switched the language to chinese and spent the better part of an hour finding the language setting by trial and error.

there are no free meals

As I have mentioned in this thread earlier. I am facing a stuttering problem with my Strontium cards but someone said it's fine with a Sandisk cards. So make note of that.

OS is really buggy at times. A few times it had restarted on it's own and few times it doesn't resume from where you left. But then these are not minor software issues and it seem to rectify on it's own. 

The sound on v7 firmware was somewhat weird for me but got that sorted out when I flashed it with v6.0E Tennmak firmware.

The black paint has started coming off from corners other than these little issues I haven't faced any other yet using since Aug last year. 

Edit: You might have to remove all the tags from your music.

Edit2: Ok. I discovered that I had missed the new v7.0E firmware. Just flashed and happy that the sound issues has been sorted out. 
Also, the battery indicator was not accurate, hope they have handled it too.

May 19, 2016 at 2:56 PM Post #1,791 of 2,087
It's too bad there's such limited functionality. Can someone clarify for me:

1) If your library is bigger than 750 songs, you simply can't Play All out of the media library all of your songs?

2) You can't play songs in every sub-directory? Only songs in that particular folder?

My folder structure:
+---Genre
|   +---Artist
|   |   +---song.mp3
|   |   +---song.mp3
|   +---Artist2
|   |   |   +---song.mp3
|   |   |   +---song.mp3
+---Genre2
|   +---etc.
|   |   +---etc.

So if I wanted to play all songs in a Genre folder, I can't do that? It seems when selecting a folder, I can only play songs in the lowest level (the artist folders), is that the case?

3) Is it normal for the x2 to not automatically resume playback? It seems to default to the first mp3 file on the device every startup.

4) Does it work with playlist files?
Thanks in advance.

May 19, 2016 at 3:20 PM Post #1,792 of 2,087
I
It's too bad there's such limited functionality. Can someone clarify for me:

1) If your library is bigger than 750 songs, you simply can't Play All out of the media library all of your songs?

2) You can't play songs in every sub-directory? Only songs in that particular folder?

My folder structure:

So if I wanted to play all songs in a Genre folder, I can't do that? It seems when selecting a folder, I can only play songs in the lowest level (the artist folders), is that the case?

3) Is it normal for the x2 to not automatically resume playback? It seems to default to the first mp3 file on the device every startup.

Thanks in advance.

I'm not sure about the 750 track limit. I'm certain it has a 100 folder limit tho.
Yes, You can only select the lowest level folder to play, but looking at the play mode options you might be able to play one sub folder after another within a folder. If that makes sense. I've never tried. I just listen to albums at a time.

I'm on fw.6 and mine does auto resume.

Despite all its niggles it has an amazing sq

May 23, 2016 at 9:46 PM Post #1,793 of 2,087
 You might have to remove all the tags from your music

totally a non-issue as almost all of my files are WAVs ripped from CDs or from streaming audio/videos using audiograbber.

i got my x2 a few days ago and after checking online, went to best buy to get one of the $12 kensingtons they listed on their website only to find they only had $20 and up sandisks so yesterday i hopped on a bus to walmart because their website said they had $10 samsungs which they didn't, but i did get a $13 sandisk. after struggling to get it to click, i finally got it locked in using my thumbnail and it took the very first file i dragged into it without issue and let me create a folder i dragged woofer cooker https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hQW4LpiDisM into.

the only problem i had was that i juggled an extrenal hard drive and a thumb drive to front and back USB ports so i could free up a top port and windows literally lost its freakin' mind and didn't recognize ANY of the drives anymore! that's not xduoos fault though. after unplugging it, windows found the other 2 drives and accepted the xuduoo once i plugged it back in. i'm guessing it wanted to name the SD with the same letter already given to one of the externals and got confused.

once i had it loaded, i was NOT impressed with the bright and spitty sound, so i decided to loop woofer cooker to break it in. i guess all of the continous infrasonic bass was too much for it as the battery went dead after just 3-4 hours at max volume. i plugged it back in to recharge a bit while i surfed the net then looped a regular dance track for another 5 hours or so. the battery was showing a 75% charge and the sound was MUCH MUCH better! the highs were relaxed, but have gobs of detail. i've never heard my presonus cans sound so good on 3 different PC's soundcards or my sony portable CD player and the bass really opened up too. it's the first time i can actually hear the infrasonics in woofer cooker, if only a little as cone flapping. it blows lightweight clinical sounding sansa clips out of the water with better bass, effortless highs and plenty of volume.

if the competition with a cube 60 with it's class A amp is close, the x2 still destroys that by not blasting ever track a fraction of a second then cutting its volume no matter what volume you're listening at. it also beats my original cowon which was pretty uncolored, but lacked bass wallop or the ability to really crank, and as i said, sansa just doesn't have the balls or treble ease either. the x2 is one sweet sounding piece of gear.

as to the alleged "stiff buttons" issue someone mentioned somewhere. they feel just right to me. the pressure isn't unreasonable and is precisely what i imagined it to be. any softer, and you could get accidental button pushes in your pocket.

for now, everything's working as it should, i love the aluminum casing and cool buttons. i never needed to read the manual. navigation is intuitive, but most of all, this puppy cranks effortlessly and has a nice warm bass that will help a lot of lightweight headphones and really please bassheads with bass cans. as long as reliability issues don't become a problem, i like this player more than any other i've owned by far and it really does live up to the hifi claims. if it lasted 10 years, i could live with it happily and not feel the need to upgrade.

thanks to everyone that helped me find it

UPDATE:
ugh now that i'm listening to it for fun, i've found that the x2 does something unforgivable... it cuts the very beginning of every song off and fades in obscuring drum hits! What is up with chinese players screwing up the beginning of songs?!!! it's cube 60 syndrome all over again! anyone else know what's causing this and how to fix it? i just can't abide by a player wrecking the beginning of a song. despite the inferior sound, that's why i switched back to my clip+ because of cube 60's intro fade downs... now with the x2, it's unwanted fade ins.
ARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGHHHHHH!

May 27, 2016 at 3:47 AM Post #1,795 of 2,087

UPDATE:
ugh now that i'm listening to it for fun, i've found that the x2 does something unforgivable... it cuts the very beginning of every song off and fades in obscuring drum hits! What is up with chinese players screwing up the beginning of songs?!!! it's cube 60 syndrome all over again! anyone else know what's causing this and how to fix it? i just can't abide by a player wrecking the beginning of a song. despite the inferior sound, that's why i switched back to my clip+ because of cube 60's intro fade downs... now with the x2, it's unwanted fade ins.

what firmware are you running? I'm on V.6 and I am not experiencing this second skip issue

May 27, 2016 at 11:42 AM Post #1,796 of 2,087

UPDATE:

I don't have that problem either. Updated to the latest firmware 7.0E and still playing good. Even better, noticed that 7.0E has higher volume than v6E that I was using.

May 28, 2016 at 6:17 AM Post #1,800 of 2,087
  I can't download the update tool for X2, I keep getting a NO FILE or Page Not Found error. Could anyone give a working link or upload it to dropbox etc?

post#1, mirror page

Users who are viewing this thread

Back