Xduoo Amplifiers
Mar 27, 2021 at 5:38 AM Post #406 of 2,015
Getting the 601 to pair with Grado RS2e... I am in Malaysia so its easy to get these amps directly from China.

Should be interesting.

Try to get hold of a JAN Sylvania 7308. I swear by them...

Mar 27, 2021 at 3:34 PM Post #408 of 2,015
A positive review I just wrote on Drop’s store page for the TA-30:

For amps, I’ve been using the THX 789 solid state and I’ve tried the Jotunheim 2. And way long ago I used the Darkvoice tube amp (and quickly returned it). After using the 789 most of the time now, and trying a newly bought TA-30, I find myself preferring to use the TA-30 - particularly when switching out the tubes with:
  • Mullard 12AU7 tubes
  • Jan CHS 5931 rectifier
Not only do I still retain much of the resolution I would have sought out in the 789, I have gained a greater sense of impact, reverb, decay, and a generally bigger sense of natural presence to my music with the TA-30. At first, I preferred the TA-30 only with my HD800 S, rather than playing the 800 S off of my THX 789, but now I also find myself preferring the Hifiman HE6SE V2 off of the TA-30 (and the HE6SE is notoriously difficult to power)! The TA-30 sometimes needs to be turned to the max for the HE6SE to be loud enough (particularly for classical music), but this tube amp does indeed get loud enough to be very enjoyable. I wouldn’t really want to go any louder actually. And for the rest of the headphones you could possibly plug into the TA-30, all being easier to power than the HE6SE, there is always plenty of headroom left over. Just about the only things I have that I prefer to go back to the THX 789 for may be my Clairvoyance IEM’s, and I could still really enjoy them off the tube amp! I would just recommend socket savers from tube monger if you do this, since they have silicone inside to absorb micro phonics - maybe a must for sensitive earphones/headphones. I got the TA-30 when it was priced at $525 (currently it is $599 at time of writing), and I would totally recommend the product at either price or actually full price. The only other thing I would mention is that I’m running the TA-30 from my Schiit Bifrost DAC. It’s not a world of difference from the already very capable built in DAC inside the TA-30, but I do prefer the sound of the TA-30 when using the Bifrost 2 as my DAC. Oh, and the form factor is actually surprisingly smaller than I imagined. It has a thin profile on the desk and fits nicely next to anything else you may have going on. AD8A2F1E-D260-42B2-B653-A9C8D8EE38F3.jpeg80AD0FEA-3C99-483D-B695-0563C9B544E9.jpegC9D63381-EA7E-435E-A37E-BFBE7F5A8B07.jpeg8A7D8D82-8DCA-47BE-B6FE-25AEC58334E2.jpeg

Last edited:
Mar 27, 2021 at 5:16 PM Post #409 of 2,015

For amps, I’ve been using the THX 789 solid state and I’ve tried the Jotunheim 2. And way long ago I used the Darkvoice tube amp (and quickly returned it). After using the 789 most of the time now, and trying a newly bought TA-30, I find myself preferring to use the TA-30 - particularly when switching out the tubes with:
  • Mullard 12AU7 tubes
  • Jan CHS 5931 rectifier
Not only do I still retain much of the resolution I would have sought out in the 789, I have gained a greater sense of impact, reverb, decay, and a generally bigger sense of natural presence to my music with the TA-30. At first, I preferred the TA-30 only with my HD800 S, rather than playing the 800 S off of my THX 789, but now I also find myself also preferring the Hifiman HE6SE V2 off of the TA-30 (and the HE6SE is notoriously difficult to power)! The TA-30 sometimes needs to be turned to the max for the HE6SE to be loud enough (particularly for classical music), but this tube amp does indeed get loud enough to be very enjoyable. I wouldn’t really want to go any louder actually. And for the rest of the headphones you could possibly plug into the TA-30, all being easier to power than the HE6SE, there is always plenty of headroom left over. Just about the only things I have that I prefer to go back to the THX 789 for may be my Clairvoyance IEM’s, and I could still really enjoy them off the tube amp! I would just recommend docket savers if you do this, since they have silicone inside to absorb micro phonics - maybe a must for sensitive earphones/headphones. I got the TA-30 when it was priced at $525 (currently it is $599 at time of writing), and I would totally recommend the product at either price or actually full price. The only other thing I would mention is that I’m running the TA-30 from my Schiit Bifrost DAC. It’s not a world of difference from the already very capable built in DAC inside the TA-30, but I do prefer the sound of the TA-30 when using the Bifrost 2 as my DAC. Oh, and the form factor is actually surprisingly smaller than I imagined. It has a thin profile on the desk and fits nicely next to anything else you may have going on.
Nice write up! Since the TA-30 has an RCA out, did you try passing that into the 789? That would be a nice experiment to see if you get both the tube sound from the TA-30, with the detail retrieval of the 789. I have used the 789 in the past on its own and it can be a bit cold and neutral, things I don’t necessarily enjoy as I really like the sound that tubes convey on my music. That warm distortion just makes me smile as I can “feel” my music.

Mar 27, 2021 at 8:01 PM Post #410 of 2,015

• Mullard 12AU7 tubes
  • Jan CHS 5931 rectifier
Not only do I still retain much of the resolution I would have sought out in the 789, I have gained a greater sense of impact, reverb, decay, and a generally bigger sense of natural presence to my music with the TA-30. At first, I preferred the TA-30 only with my HD800 S, rather than playing the 800 S off of my THX 789, but now I also find myself preferring the Hifiman HE6SE V2 off of the TA-30 (and the HE6SE is notoriously difficult to power)! The TA-30 sometimes needs to be turned to the max for the HE6SE to be loud enough (particularly for classical music), but this tube amp does indeed get loud enough to be very enjoyable. I wouldn’t really want to go any louder actually. And for the rest of the headphones you could possibly plug into the TA-30, all being easier to power than the HE6SE, there is always plenty of headroom left over. Just about the only things I have that I prefer to go back to the THX 789 for may be my Clairvoyance IEM’s, and I could still really enjoy them off the tube amp! I would just recommend socket savers from tube monger if you do this, since they have silicone inside to absorb micro phonics - maybe a must for sensitive earphones/headphones. I got the TA-30 when it was priced at $525 (currently it is $599 at time of writing), and I would totally recommend the product at either price or actually full price. The only other thing I would mention is that I’m running the TA-30 from my Schiit Bifrost DAC. It’s not a world of difference from the already very capable built in DAC inside the TA-30, but I do prefer the sound of the TA-30 when using the Bifrost 2 as my DAC. Oh, and the form factor is actually surprisingly smaller than I imagined. It has a thin profile on the desk and fits nicely next to anything else you may have going on.AD8A2F1E-D260-42B2-B653-A9C8D8EE38F3.jpeg80AD0FEA-3C99-483D-B695-0563C9B544E9.jpegC9D63381-EA7E-435E-A37E-BFBE7F5A8B07.jpeg8A7D8D82-8DCA-47BE-B6FE-25AEC58334E2.jpeg
I am curious since you’ve tried both jot2 and ta-30 with HD800s, do you overall prefer HD800s with TA-30? With the upgraded tubes?

Mar 27, 2021 at 8:58 PM Post #411 of 2,015
I am curious since you’ve tried both jot2 and ta-30 with HD800s, do you overall prefer HD800s with TA-30? With the upgraded tubes?
I preferred the THX 789 over the Jot 2, so that may be something to have in mind if you have a different taste on that comparison to start with.

But then I got the TA-30 and prefer it over the 789 for the 800S. You might think that means I would then have to say I like the TA-30 more than the Jot . And...ya it is true for me.

The Jot 2 didn’t do something to the music in any way that I enjoyed more than what I was already getting from the THX 789. And now the TA-30, with my tubes, is adding a new layer of engagement with my music that I didn’t feel with my memory of the Jot 2 or my A/B comparisons with the 789.

I love the 800S on almost anything, including the 789 or still plenty well on the Jot, but the TA-30 has me smiling with a new sensation I haven’t had with the others. It may be a honeymoon phase, with how nice it feels to me right now, but the experience is different enough to sit well as a companion at the desk.

And honestly....if I had to choose which to keep on my desk and which to sell, then I would feel better about keeping the TA-30 than keeping either the 789 or Jot 2. At least, that’s how I feel in this first week here. Grains of salt please :p

Last edited:
Mar 30, 2021 at 3:37 AM Post #412 of 2,015
Cool thanks for the tip! It should arrive next week.
Also, I would recommend getting some of these heat-resistant O-rings (available on Amazon) to damp any residual microphonic issues with the ECC88 / 7308:

6856F5CD-9719-4F5F-9190-0FF60B361025.jpeg

Mar 30, 2021 at 4:16 AM Post #413 of 2,015
Is the MT-602 a good pick for someone who's interested in getting a feel on how tubes sound (in general and wrt the rest of their gear)? "Proper" OTL tube amps are pretty pretty pretty expensive, so if the 602 has a "tube-y" sound and can sort of give you some hints of what to realistically expect with better tube amps, the asking price seems like a bargain.

Mar 30, 2021 at 7:23 AM Post #414 of 2,015
The 602 for me is not that typical tube sound that is mellow. This amp sounds more balanced, but a bit smoother and natural, than pure solid state. This amp is low impedance so it is quite different to an OTL amp. I use it with HD650 and this pairs quite nice for me.

Mar 30, 2021 at 11:07 AM Post #415 of 2,015
Haha, it's starting to feel like every time I pay attention to one tube amp or the other and ask around, the conclusion is that they don't have "that typical tube sound". But I gotcha. I'll likely get the 602 anyway since it's so cheap and cute and I'm so intrigued, but I'll keep in mind that if I dislike the sound, it's not necessarily representative of how I'd feel about OTL tubes (or vice versa).

Mar 30, 2021 at 3:57 PM Post #417 of 2,015
Apr 1, 2021 at 7:23 PM Post #418 of 2,015
The Western electric 403b is also a good choice in the 602.

Apr 2, 2021 at 4:05 AM Post #419 of 2,015
Is it entirely equivalent to a 6AK5? I know some people use it in the LD 1+.

Apr 2, 2021 at 7:46 AM Post #420 of 2,015
Is it entirely equivalent to a 6AK5? I know some people use it in the LD 1+.

Technically speaking the 403a version is the exact match for the 6ak5 as both have 175mA heater current. The 403b has a lower heater current of 150mA so can be used safely in any socket designed for the 6AK5. If a circuit were designed for the 403b, putting a 6AK5 might overtax the power supply but with such a small difference in current usually this is well within the margins of the design and I know of no instances where using a 6AK5 in a circuit that originally called for a 403b has caused problems.

Another thing I have been asked several times now regards use of 6AJ5 in the 6AK5 socket. These two tubes are electrically identical with the 6AJ5 being optimized for high frequency signals (think radio waves) while the 6AK5 is optimized for lower frequencies (audible frequencies). It was not entirely uncommon to see radios and early tvs that used one tube or the other for both applications in order to only have to stock a single part. This does not mean the 6AJ5 will necessarily perform as well as microphonics are not a concern once out of the audible range and these may not have ever been tested for that when built. Also worth noting, I know of no other tube series in which J and K are interchangable so please do not make that inference.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back