xDSD Gryphon: birth of a ‘head-fi’ legend
Aug 10, 2023 at 6:28 AM Post #3,631 of 3,839
That is tested two ways with the same result, seems the Gryphon 4.4 setting is the same as high on the seperate 4.4mm IEMatch and the ultra setting is presumably 12db higher attenuation.
Thank you. Good to know!

Aug 12, 2023 at 6:17 AM Post #3,632 of 3,839
However, take care that there is a difference between the input and output impedances between the various IE-MATCH models and change the attenuation between the HIGH and ULTRA settings:

IEMATCH+IEMATCH 2.5IEMATCH 4.4
Male connector3.5mm S-Balanced (*)2.5mm TRRS balanced4.4mm pentaconn balanced
Female connector3.5mm S-Balanced (*)2.5mm TRRS balanced4.4mm pentaconn balanced
High:
Input impedance16 ohm16 ohm40 ohm
Output impedance2.5 ohm2.5 ohm8.4 ohm
Attenuation12 dB12 dB12 dB
Ultra:
Input impedance16 ohm16 ohm50 ohm
Output impedance1 ohm1 ohm3.6 ohm
Attenuation24 dB24 dB24 dB

https://www.audioreviews.org/ifi-iematch-must-have/

Woah, whoever designed the 4.4mm version (not me, I did the first two and the iEMatch Lite [aka "ear buddy"]) did not really understand the design and aims. That's a lot of added output impedance that makes the 4.4mm iEMatch fairly unusable with many IEM's, as the tonality will change a lot. Why ON EARTH would they do something like that?

The output impedance should have been ~ 3 Ohm for "High" and ~ 1 Ohm for "Ultra" with correct design.

Thor

Aug 12, 2023 at 7:54 AM Post #3,633 of 3,839
Woah, whoever designed the 4.4mm version (not me, I did the first two and the iEMatch Lite [aka "ear buddy"]) did not really understand the design and aims. That's a lot of added output impedance that makes the 4.4mm iEMatch fairly unusable with many IEM's, as the tonality will change a lot. Why ON EARTH would they do something like that?

The output impedance should have been ~ 3 Ohm for "High" and ~ 1 Ohm for "Ultra" with correct design.

Thor

In the article I linked it is written:

IEMatch 4.4 is intended to be used it with high(er) powered balanced-ended AMPs.
The much higher (up to 50 ohm vs 16 ohm) impedance it presents to the source will force the AMP to work at a higher “volume” level, thus at a higher voltage.

On the flip side IEMatch 4.4 offers a minimum output impedance of 3.6 ohm (significantly higher then its siblings' 1 ohm)

Could this be the explanation?

Aug 12, 2023 at 8:28 AM Post #3,634 of 3,839
In the article I linked it is written:

IEMatch 4.4 is intended to be used it with high(er) powered balanced-ended AMPs.
The much higher (up to 50 ohm vs 16 ohm) impedance it presents to the source will force the AMP to work at a higher “volume” level, thus at a higher voltage.

On the flip side IEMatch 4.4 offers a minimum output impedance of 3.6 ohm (significantly higher then its siblings' 1 ohm)

Could this be the explanation?

Based on "What I would have done, if I had designed the balanced 4.4mm iEMatch, to the same design targets I used when I designed the others" - No.

And the design targets I used for the original iEMatch have been proven in practice for many years.

Of course, iFi is free to design whatever they want, with whatever design targets they like, it's just an "IEM Matcher" (the meaning of iEMatch) with nearly 10 Ohm output impedance will not work well with most IEM's, making the product name a bit of an oxymoron.

Thor

Aug 12, 2023 at 8:58 AM Post #3,635 of 3,839
Based on "What I would have done, if I had designed the balanced 4.4mm iEMatch, to the same design targets I used when I designed the others" - No.

And the design targets I used for the original iEMatch have been proven in practice for many years.

Of course, iFi is free to design whatever they want, with whatever design targets they like, it's just an "IEM Matcher" (the meaning of iEMatch) with nearly 10 Ohm output impedance will not work well with most IEM's, making the product name a bit of an oxymoron.

Thor

If someone really needs IEMatch for a balanced connection, they should probably rethink why they are using balanced in the first place... as opposed to single-ended... :)

Aug 12, 2023 at 9:41 AM Post #3,636 of 3,839
If someone really needs IEMatch for a balanced connection, they should probably rethink why they are using balanced in the first place... as opposed to single-ended... :)

Good point. Balanced outputs are inherently more noisy than SE.

However with low impedance IEM's the contact and cable resistance for "GND" becomes material and can cause excessive crosstalk.

Ideally there would be a way to use a single ended amplifier but balanced wiring and connectors.

It is trivial to make a portable amplifier than can produce 10V RMS into high impedance headphones and can offer -120dBV noise at low gain settings.

This can cover 130dB/1V IEM's giving with 10dB absolute noise levels and to drive AKG K1000 to 107dB peak SPL (2dB louder than THX maximum SPL), so nothing else should be needed to cover this.

Thor

Aug 16, 2023 at 3:36 PM Post #3,639 of 3,839
I use a phone Huawei P30 Pro EMUI 11. ifi Gryphon I connect with HWA codec - Dolby Atmos automatically turns on on the phone, I have to turn it off manually - what causes it to turn on? How to avoid this?
I have had many Bluetooth receivers, including ifi Go Blu - Dolby Atmos did not turn on by itself when device gets connected.

ifi support wrote:
It won't be the Gryphon that's turning on Dolby Atmos unfortunately it's your phone. We have had similar issues with the Xiaomi Mi 12 Pro however the phone corrected itself and stopped turning on automatically once we turned it off once manually. I am unsure what settings your phone may need to change to get this stop.

Anybody have any ideas how to solve the issue?

Aug 27, 2023 at 9:54 PM Post #3,644 of 3,839
just wanted to comment that iematch works well with easy-to-drive headphones too, not just with iems! had a sesh with ie900 with gryphon in amp mode, everything 👍. next up, th900 sounded off. the only change i made was turning off 4.4 iematch. back on and everything sounds groovy again!

20230827_214733.jpg

Aug 28, 2023 at 8:52 AM Post #3,645 of 3,839
just wanted to comment that iematch works well with easy-to-drive headphones too, not just with iems! had a sesh with ie900 with gryphon in amp mode, everything 👍. next up, th900 sounded off. the only change i made was turning off 4.4 iematch. back on and everything sounds groovy again!

20230827_214733.jpg
Thanks very much for sharing your thoughts!

Much appreciated!

Cheers!!

iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/people/IFi-audio/61558986775162/ https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back