xDSD Gryphon: birth of a ‘head-fi’ legend
Jul 7, 2022 at 12:17 PM Post #2,341 of 3,839
Ah, thanks, I didn't see iFi's response, but that all makes sense and confirms my thoughts, so it's good to know :)

No worries! Of course!

Jul 9, 2022 at 5:53 AM Post #2,344 of 3,839
Hi, so my unit just arrived and while checking things out i noticed that the 4.4mm have certain issue, using thieaudio est cable with 4.4mm when i fully inserted it the left doesn’t make any sound while the right is okay and by slightly move it out both left and right works, same with fiio em5 4.4mm plug when it rotated certain way the left suddenly not producing any sound while the right is okay.
Whats the problem? Is it faulty unit?

Edit: i tried with my m3x, using 4.4mm fiio em5, slightly tug it out, rotate it, not even a hint of cut out, both side works…

Last edited:
Jul 9, 2022 at 6:05 AM Post #2,345 of 3,839
Hi, so my unit just arrived and while checking things out i noticed that the 4.4mm have certain issue, using thieaudio est cable with 4.4mm when i fully inserted it the left doesn’t make any sound while the right is okay and by slightly move it out both left and right works, same with fiio em5 4.4mm plug when it rotated certain way the left suddenly not producing any sound while the right is okay.

Edit: i tried with my m3x, using 4.4mm fiio em5, slightly tug it out, rotate it, not even a hint of cut out, both side works…
Silly question: did you push the plug all in?

Jul 9, 2022 at 6:09 AM Post #2,346 of 3,839
Silly question: did you push the plug all in?
🤔 yes for both, and em5’s just rotate it some degree and left audio disappear, and isn’t it normal for all the way in..? Since it would be more secure and safe from any random cut out as “portable” kit

Jul 9, 2022 at 6:17 AM Post #2,347 of 3,839

On my Gryphon i have same with 4.4. Just little rotate and it work well.

Jul 9, 2022 at 6:26 AM Post #2,348 of 3,839
I have the same issue with certain 4.4mm connectors using the Gryphon, Go Blu and the Go Bar.

Some 4.4mm work fine and others need a bit of rotation, such as the Dunu cables and the Letshuoer cables.

Jul 9, 2022 at 8:20 AM Post #2,349 of 3,839

Oh your cable works with other devices? interesting.

This usually the manufacturer tolerances 4.4mm jack on the cables end is the problem for me. Or I thought it was so.

I also have the same problem as SenyorC with my Dunu Zen's cable's 4.4mm silvery modular plug; that silvery-plated 4.4plug needs to be rotated. No problems with my Duna Luna's gold-plated 4.4mm modular plug though; no rotation needed.

Last edited:
Jul 9, 2022 at 2:34 PM Post #2,350 of 3,839

I have this issue with one 4.4 to 4.4 cable at line out port. Suspect is some grounding issue due to contacting the gryphon chassis. By using a rubber ring to separate contact, issue is resolved. But on another 4.4 to 4.4 cable, no this issue. So, I think it depends on the 4.4 jack too.

Jul 10, 2022 at 4:01 PM Post #2,351 of 3,839
I have this issue with one 4.4 to 4.4 cable at line out port. Suspect is some grounding issue due to contacting the gryphon chassis. By using a rubber ring to separate contact, issue is resolved. But on another 4.4 to 4.4 cable, no this issue. So, I think it depends on the 4.4 jack too.

The back of the Gryphon is plastic so I doubt it is a grounding problem. More likely just a slight variation in the cables plug dimensions from specification and the spacer pulls a terminal back into proper contact.

I've got a number of 4.4mm adapters, headphone cables and interconnect cables from various makes and several that will give issues, the same plug will give problems regardless of what it is plugged into so I believe the issues are with the plugs more typically than the jack in amp.

Last edited:
Jul 11, 2022 at 5:43 AM Post #2,352 of 3,839
Anyone else try latest Gryphon XMOS 1.53fw and BT 2.15fw ? I've just installed and like the new functionality! Nice work ifi!
New Gaia app allows you to turn off any BT codecs you don't want to use.
Volume limiter is great and no more blasting head off with sync vol!
Volume lock cool!
Volume soft ramp! Noice!
Was used to db vol indicator but 0 to 100 makes sense.
New screen dim setting is nice.

Jul 11, 2022 at 6:17 AM Post #2,353 of 3,839
Most of the modifications you mention have existed from versions previous to v1.53. What's new in 1.53 is:
- the volume sync is defaulted to off;
- the problem with unit shutting down at ~30% battery has been solved; This is by far the most important fix.
- in BT v2.15 some improvements have been made, specifically the problem I was having with volume on Android phone always being at zero after connecting is no longer there;
- the GAIA app has indeed been improved;

The volume in percentage is something that has been requested to be reversed back to dB or at least choose from the menu one or the other, as many of us don't like it in percentage. For me, this was one of the things I really liked when buying the unit (volume in dB).

There was a feature when screen could be both low and high brigtness in OFF mode, which has been removed (not in 1.53, in a earlier version). This is also something that a lot of people miss and a request has been made to bring it back.
So I'm not sure about what new screen dim feature are you talking about...

Last edited:
Jul 11, 2022 at 6:32 AM Post #2,354 of 3,839
yeah I was on much earlier fw from when I purchased ages ago. did the first fw upgrade that came out after launch months ago and nothing since.
Was referring to dim after 10 mins. for me just used to have high, low and off or something like that.

Last edited:
Jul 11, 2022 at 6:51 AM Post #2,355 of 3,839
I have this issue occasionally with my ALO litz pure silver 4.4... small rotation fixes it
https://flic.kr/p/2nxvaNC

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back