xDSD Gryphon: birth of a ‘head-fi’ legend
Jun 30, 2022 at 3:40 PM Post #2,326 of 3,839
Bought the official Gryphon case https://ifi-audio.com/products/xdsd-gryphon-case/

Why is it designed to block the volume knob? It destroyed the elegance of turning the knob :confused:
And no opening for accessing the iEMatch switch at the back. :sweat:
The case is very fit/tight so its difficult to take it out partially just to switch the iEMatch.

For something that is not cheap and designed by official, its really not recommended, unless you are OK with the above design flaws.
The Miter case is made of soft Italian leather and does not have the problems you specified. Just sayin'! Seriously, though, I love that case--and I never buy cases for things like this.

Jun 30, 2022 at 7:06 PM Post #2,328 of 3,839
If you've solved the imbalance issue, maybe I should sell you my like-new, open box Signature for $550. I really wanted to love it and am returning it, but I'd rather give it a happy home than have it bouncing around to future unhappy owners.
You too can solve it with the above. Full blast volume on the sig and lower volume on the input source, or lower the power output since it has 3 levels

Jun 30, 2022 at 7:07 PM Post #2,329 of 3,839
If you've solved the imbalance issue, maybe I should sell you my like-new, open box Signature for $550. I really wanted to love it and am returning it, but I'd rather give it a happy home than have it bouncing around to future unhappy owners.
You too can solve it with the above. Full blast volume on the sig and lower volume on the input source, or lower the power output since it has 3 levels. You are hard pressed to find a better sounding device for the price

Jun 30, 2022 at 8:30 PM Post #2,330 of 3,839
You too can solve it with the above. Full blast volume on the sig and lower volume on the input source, or lower the power output since it has 3 levels. You are hard pressed to find a better sounding device for the price
Thanks, Josh. It's true, and your idea works. I'll get used to it, but it's a pain adjusting phone vs amp volume. Now I know, analog volume control has its quirks.

Last edited:
Jun 30, 2022 at 8:51 PM Post #2,331 of 3,839
Thanks, Josh. It's true, there's no imbalance at all on ECO mode. I'll try your idea, but it does defeat bit-perfect play out from my phone--in bit-perfect mode in USB Audio Player Pro, there's no phone volume control. But my ears may not tell the difference. I'm finding out from this just how sensitive they are it seems.
Don't know weather you are using iems or not but I find eco mode along with iematch off gives me channel balance from about 9.15 up & iematch on hi sensitivity gives me channel balance to lower volumes from about 10 up with more range in volume adjustment.
That with sennheiser ie600 iem that arnt hard to drive at all.

Jul 1, 2022 at 9:51 AM Post #2,333 of 3,839
Don't know weather you are using iems or not but I find eco mode along with iematch off gives me channel balance from about 9.15 up & iematch on hi sensitivity gives me channel balance to lower volumes from about 10 up with more range in volume adjustment.
That with sennheiser ie600 iem that arnt hard to drive at all.

Oh my god, ie900 with iFi Gryphon xbassii is the craziest slammy bass experience ever. Such a guilty pleasure.

And for my ie900 over the ie600 I can also benefit from the Presence-mode boost.

Jul 1, 2022 at 6:17 PM Post #2,334 of 3,839
Oh my god, ie900 with iFi Gryphon xbassii is the craziest slammy bass experience ever. Such a guilty pleasure.

And for my ie900 over the ie600 I can also benefit from the Presence-mode boost.
Haven't heard the ie900 as yet but since they went up in price I think I will go for the sony ier-z1r instead. A lot of people on the ie600 thread prefer the ie600 to the ie900 but well all hear differently so I know I will end up purchasing the ie900 sooner or later lol

Jul 2, 2022 at 1:16 PM Post #2,335 of 3,839
I tried the Gryphon with my PS4Pro yesterday for the first time. Soundwise its fine, but I am getting random shut downs every 20-40 minutes. Does not matter if connected with the charger or not. I used USB as connection to the PS4Pro. I do not have this issue if I connect the Gryphon with my PC or MacBook.

Do you know this issue and is this something which could be fixed via FW soon?

Last edited:
Jul 2, 2022 at 1:23 PM Post #2,336 of 3,839
I tried the Gryphon with my PS4Pro yesterday for the first time. Soundwise its fine, but I am getting random shut downs every 20-40 minutes. Does not matter if connected with the charger or not. I used USB as connection to the PS4Pro. I do not have this issue if I connect the Gryphon with my PC or MacBook.

Do you know this issue and is this something which could be fixed via FW soon?

Ouch, hopefully they fix that. But it's the Playstation environment more likely to blame than iFi finding a work around.

The Qudelix 5k has specific optimizations made to work with the Playstation consoles. Maybe that device would work better for your scenario in the mean time.

Though I just realized I told you to spend more money....which is a stupid answer.

Last edited:
Jul 2, 2022 at 2:05 PM Post #2,337 of 3,839
Ouch, hopefully they fix that. But it's the Playstation environment more likely to blame than iFi finding a work around.

The Qudelix 5k has specific optimizations made to work with the Playstation consoles. Maybe that device would work better for your scenario in the mean time.

Though I just realized I told you to spend more money....which is a stupid answer.

All fine. Console gaming is not the main use case for me. I just wanted to try it out. I was not aware that this is tricky with the Playstations, because all my other mobile DACs are working just fine with the PS4.

Jul 6, 2022 at 7:51 AM Post #2,338 of 3,839
How much was it?
Miter has one well though out to eliminate all mentioned flaws. though it is expensive and does not fully cover.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/MITER-Gryp...cphy=9045957&hvtargid=pla-1601876520130&psc=1
Thanks for the link!
And just to mention, the one @Skullar posted above is the PU leather model (i.e. fake leather, or 'vegan friendly', if we're being polite) :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
They also sell another version of the case in genuine Italian leather (as @zhuhang mentioned; and thanks to you as well for making me aware).
The Italian leather model is available in blue and a rather attractive and understated green:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/MITER-CASE...+for+ifi+audio+xdsd+gryphon+dac,aps,93&sr=8-3

In iFi's defence, I'd suggest that the reason the volume knob is covered up with their own carry case/sleeve might be because it's a product that will likely be used 'on the go' by many owners; as such, having the volume knob covered could prevent the volume from being accidentally increased whilst carrying the Gryphon in a tight pocket?

I've had this happen to me with other products, so I see a reason to do that. Anyway, at least this way, users have a choice of products with covered or uncovered volume knob. A win for the consumer :)

Finally, the official iFi case looks to be of a *much* softer and more stretchy material than the Miter leather case.
With this in mind, wouldn't it be possible to just toggle the IEMatch switch through the material of the iFi case?
If so, then I suspect that would be the reason to simply cover it up, rather than adding another hole in the case, which could reduce its robustness or allow access to dirt or dust. Can anyone with the iFi case give this a try? Just curious :)

Jul 6, 2022 at 11:02 PM Post #2,339 of 3,839
Finally, the official iFi case looks to be of a *much* softer and more stretchy material than the Miter leather case.
With this in mind, wouldn't it be possible to just toggle the IEMatch switch through the material of the iFi case?
If so, then I suspect that would be the reason to simply cover it up, rather than adding another hole in the case, which could reduce its robustness or allow access to dirt or dust. Can anyone with the iFi case give this a try? Just curious :)
Nope, the official gryphon case is hard (and tight), the leather is just a skin on top.
We have to pull it out about 1/3 to toggle the iEMatch, and push it back in to the case. And the process is awkward.

iFi responded with this earlier:
The case is designed so you don't bump the volume knob when you're on the go with it, by accident. The same goes with IEMatch in the back, so it stays whatever position you leave it in before you put in the case.

Jul 7, 2022 at 9:14 AM Post #2,340 of 3,839
Nope, the official gryphon case is hard (and tight), the leather is just a skin on top.
We have to pull it out about 1/3 to toggle the iEMatch, and push it back in to the case. And the process is awkward.

iFi responded with this earlier:
Ah, thanks, I didn't see iFi's response, but that all makes sense and confirms my thoughts, so it's good to know :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back