xDSD Gryphon: birth of a ‘head-fi’ legend
Apr 8, 2022 at 7:02 PM Post #1,921 of 3,839
Show me a single desktop-grade portable DAC/amp with a phone mic. I can't think of a single one. That's what dongles are for...or better yet, wireless IEMs/headphones
It may be desktop quality but it’s not desktop sized. It is smaller than a phone. It fits well in a pocket. Unlike a lot of DAPs it doesn’t overheat like a sailor on shoreleave. I am not meaning to throw a wet blanket on its merits. The xbass fills the missing link for my Red Halo and makes its reach its potential as a TOTL IEM. I just wish I could use it more, that’s all.

Apr 10, 2022 at 4:33 AM Post #1,923 of 3,839
Ha! I thought it never been brought up here, the OG ifi pouch has hole underneath, it might be useful to use with, while waiting the case to arrive 😁😆

Attachments

• IMG_20220410_161553.jpg
    IMG_20220410_161553.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
Apr 10, 2022 at 5:42 AM Post #1,924 of 3,839
I think it's meant for the line outs on the back

Apr 10, 2022 at 5:42 AM Post #1,925 of 3,839
guys which is ext amp only (not portable), under 300 usd. the best to pir with grifone. i already use griphone 6 days. but i want try the LO for gryphone.
any recomend under 300 usd amp?
i search the amp can make cleaner again in black backgorund for griphone, and more beast Power output to push the detail retrieval and technicallities...

topping l50, smsl SP200, SMSL, smsl sh-8s.

any recomend, or advice. im newbie in this area. thanks for advice.

Apr 10, 2022 at 9:37 AM Post #1,926 of 3,839
It’s kind of like buying a car and then finding out there’s a horse hitched to the front.
I mean I kind of expected the newest tech for a luxury product and not a horse-drawn carriage instead of a car.
Nah. I think it is more like buying a Lamborghini, and then complaining it does not have 2 cup holders... :smirk:

Apr 10, 2022 at 8:41 PM Post #1,928 of 3,839
It’s kind of like buying a car and then finding out there’s a horse hitched to the front.
I mean I kind of expected the newest tech for a luxury product and not a horse-drawn carriage instead of a car.
I don't think very many people will expect the Gryphon to have a mic. The Gryphon is an audiophile DAC/Amp and generally these don't have mics.

Apr 11, 2022 at 5:40 AM Post #1,929 of 3,839
I don't think very many people will expect the Gryphon to have a mic. The Gryphon is an audiophile DAC/Amp and generally these don't have mics.
The Gryphon is a great product. It does what it expected to do very well. Just the other day, I did a A/B test with the Gryphon vs my desktop setups and came out pleasantly suprised. It does punch above its weight class to be sure.

What I am encouraging the makers of portable DAC/amps to consider is that their products have, like many in the tech realm, maintained and even surpassed prior functions while getting smaller. A smaller size expands the possibilities for usage. I have had many “portable” DAC/amps in the past that were portable in much the same way that early cell phones the size of bricks were portable - technically true but not practically so. But that is no longer the case. The Gryphon is not much bigger than a deck of cards.
Was thinking of that and took a pic just to verify:
19BE3240-7C3E-4B9C-89C9-18977B5555A4.jpeg
Just the other day I was doing household chores with it and never had my IEMs sound better on the go.

So those interested in high-end portable audio have two main choices for their on-the-go: DAPs or portable DAC/amps. It makes total sense for DAP makers to be oblivious to phone users as DAP users go that route because they want to ditch their phone. But portable DAC/amp makers obviously need to cater to phone users. They should allow for the opportunity for users to maintain the primary function of their phone: to make phone calls and to receive phone calls. If a product is meant to be used with a phone, it should take the function of the phone into account. If someone in your house decides that the living room couch is where they want to pile their clothes or bags, it is frustrating because it robs the couch of its primary function: to be an uncluttered surface upon which to recline. DAC/amp makers (and I will lump all of them here) treat the phone in much the same way: by not having a mic it makes you work to clear the crap off the couch before you get to lie down.

I am not meaning to come off as a curmudgeon, but as a fan with constructive criticism. I would love to be able to use this as my daily workout buddy, but I can’t because using your speakerphone in public is gauche and there is no other way to answer phone calls quickly apart from removing an IEM and holding the phone up to your ear which is crazy to have to do with something that does, you know, support Bluetooth. I had an original iFI micro iDSD signature black label and that thing had more buttons than Mork’s suspenders. They are clearly a company that values their users feedback and incorporates their needs in product designs. All I am asking is that they find a little space for a mic next time.

Apr 11, 2022 at 10:22 AM Post #1,930 of 3,839
The Gryphon is a great product. It does what it expected to do very well. Just the other day, I did a A/B test with the Gryphon vs my desktop setups and came out pleasantly suprised. It does punch above its weight class to be sure.

What I am encouraging the makers of portable DAC/amps to consider is that their products have, like many in the tech realm, maintained and even surpassed prior functions while getting smaller. A smaller size expands the possibilities for usage. I have had many “portable” DAC/amps in the past that were portable in much the same way that early cell phones the size of bricks were portable - technically true but not practically so. But that is no longer the case. The Gryphon is not much bigger than a deck of cards.
Just the other day I was doing household chores with it and never had my IEMs sound better on the go.

So those interested in high-end portable audio have two main choices for their on-the-go: DAPs or portable DAC/amps. It makes total sense for DAP makers to be oblivious to phone users as DAP users go that route because they want to ditch their phone. But portable DAC/amp makers obviously need to cater to phone users. They should allow for the opportunity for users to maintain the primary function of their phone: to make phone calls and to receive phone calls. If a product is meant to be used with a phone, it should take the function of the phone into account. If someone in your house decides that the living room couch is where they want to pile their clothes or bags, it is frustrating because it robs the couch of its primary function: to be an uncluttered surface upon which to recline. DAC/amp makers (and I will lump all of them here) treat the phone in much the same way: by not having a mic it makes you work to clear the crap off the couch before you get to lie down.

I am not meaning to come off as a curmudgeon, but as a fan with constructive criticism. I would love to be able to use this as my daily workout buddy, but I can’t because using your speakerphone in public is gauche and there is no other way to answer phone calls quickly apart from removing an IEM and holding the phone up to your ear which is crazy to have to do with something that does, you know, support Bluetooth. I had an original iFI micro iDSD signature black label and that thing had more buttons than Mork’s suspenders. They are clearly a company that values their users feedback and incorporates their needs in product designs. All I am asking is that they find a little space for a mic next time.
Well, you make absolutely valid points I think.

I wrote that at present I don't think people would expect the Gryphon to have a mic for a phone but… …maybe they should!

Personally I keep my phone to not receive calls when I'm out but I think I am unusual in that regard. I do like to use the Gryphon while on the bus and if I was receiving calls there I would definitely want a mic.

So, maybe the Gryphon would indeed benefit from having a mic.

Apr 11, 2022 at 11:13 AM Post #1,931 of 3,839
So disappointing. Hopefully future editions will fix this oversight. Having the ability to take/receive calls is one of the selling points for using external amps instead of DAPs, and with the Swiss Army knife abilities of most iFi devices I assumed this would include a mic. Oh well.

Well, you make absolutely valid points I think.

I wrote that at present I don't think people would expect the Gryphon to have a mic for a phone but… …maybe they should!

Personally I keep my phone to not receive calls when I'm out but I think I am unusual in that regard. I do like to use the Gryphon while on the bus and if I was receiving calls there I would definitely want a mic.

So, maybe the Gryphon would indeed benefit from having a mic.

We appreciate the feedback and the suggestions. If you'd like an AiO option, the Go Blu is there for you.

Most manufacturers use an SoC (System on Chip) process that allows them to do everything in two steps.

Our board on the Gryphon does things in more steps, which allows for the highest sound quality possible compared to the SoC devices.

Apr 12, 2022 at 9:44 PM Post #1,932 of 3,839
Just picked up a Gryphon yesterday and am loving it. Thanks to my reading about it in advance, I quicky updated the firmware so now I can use the volume dial to change tracks. Really loving it so far with my Sennheiser IE600. It's comforting to know there's so much power in this handheld device if I happen to need it.

Apr 12, 2022 at 10:04 PM Post #1,933 of 3,839
Just picked up a Gryphon yesterday and am loving it. Thanks to my reading about it in advance, I quicky updated the firmware so now I can use the volume dial to change tracks. Really loving it so far with my Sennheiser IE600. It's comforting to know there's so much power in this handheld device if I happen to need it.

Wah! Still waiting for the IE600 to arrive at my local shop 😔 Looking forward to the same pairing aa well 👍🏼

Apr 12, 2022 at 11:35 PM Post #1,934 of 3,839
Wah! Still waiting for the IE600 to arrive at my local shop 😔 Looking forward to the same pairing aa well 👍🏼

I didn't feel like waiting until some still undefined Spring/Summer date for North America so I took a chance and ordered it from hifigo. Took a couple weeks because of the city lockdown but it eventually arrived. Love it. Would be curious to know how it compares against the IE900 but didn't feel like it would be double the price good. Who knows, maybe a year or two from now I'll be curious enough to find out.

Apr 13, 2022 at 1:49 AM Post #1,935 of 3,839
I didn't feel like waiting until some still undefined Spring/Summer date for North America so I took a chance and ordered it from hifigo. Took a couple weeks because of the city lockdown but it eventually arrived. Love it. Would be curious to know how it compares against the IE900 but didn't feel like it would be double the price good. Who knows, maybe a year or two from now I'll be curious enough to find out.

And just like that, received a message from the shop (literally just now!) That stocks will be arriving next week! He already saved 1 for me, Noice! 😄

Users who are viewing this thread

Back