xDSD Gryphon: birth of a ‘head-fi’ legend
Apr 3, 2022 at 6:41 AM Post #1,891 of 3,842
What kind of battery life are you getting with full size headphones? I’m getting around 3 hours at -35 dB. I think maybe the GTO filter uses battery more.
Using Bit-Perfect, I get ~ 2 hours 30 Mins @ 80-90 Volume on latest firmware) using Sundara and ~5 hours when using IEM's (~60 Volume). I get less life when engaging IEMatch with IEM's (3-4 Hours @~80 Volume). Using Balanced out with all my gear.

Apr 3, 2022 at 9:59 AM Post #1,892 of 3,842
I'm not sure why, but in firmware v1.45, the Gryphon will auto shutdown even while music is playing. I don't think this happened before, and it really doesn't make sense to force users to adjust volume every few minutes to keep it awake.

Can we have an option to tune the auto shutdown behavior? I'd like to be able to turn it off, or at least set a timer.

Apr 3, 2022 at 1:52 PM Post #1,893 of 3,842
Using Bit-Perfect, I get ~ 2 hours 30 Mins @ 80-90 Volume on latest firmware) using Sundara and ~5 hours when using IEM's (~60 Volume). I get less life when engaging IEMatch with IEM's (3-4 Hours @~80 Volume). Using Balanced out with all my gear.
It maybe a planar vs. dynamic thing. I’m getting better battery life with HD6XX and Verite closed vs. Aeon flow. Still seems less than 8 hours.

Apr 3, 2022 at 2:29 PM Post #1,894 of 3,842
It maybe a planar vs. dynamic thing. I’m getting better battery life with HD6XX and Verite closed vs. Aeon flow. Still seems less than 8 hours.
Sure, generally planars do require a beefier Amp but, headphone impedence & sensitivity also plays an important role. Headphones like Ananda & Arya are more easy to drive than Sundara and so will require less power and hence consume less battery.

The 8 hours official spec was probably done under ideal circumstances. Most people will probably not get more than 7 hours of battery life with Gryphon.

Apr 4, 2022 at 6:32 AM Post #1,895 of 3,842
i heard best charging for long life time baterry is with charging device with turn on device before plugging charger. and wait till 70% , and stop. its true ?

what the best charger recomended for griphon?
i had this charge, with tech QC 3.0 maks output 18 Watt.
this the charger :

https://id.aliexpress.com/item/3275...34372.0;-1;-1@salePrice;IDR;search-mainSearch

this is can great and safe to charge griphon?
if already best spec for charger, share to me...

thanks

Apr 4, 2022 at 11:07 AM Post #1,896 of 3,842
This is one of the best ZMFs till date, I love the spacious presentation and the bass texture.

With high impedance headphones the battery is draining pretty quickly as I'm going closer to -20dB or so. Didn't do an exact measurement but near 3 hours as well (non-GTO filter).

Love the looks and they're pretty comfortable given the substantial weight. In terms of sound, the staging is exceptional among ZMFs. While there are two other headphones near this price category that have "grander" stage (basically HD800S and the Arya 2020) I think the Atrium has a very natural rendition of space that just feels right. I am listening to Coldplay's See You Soon (Live) right now and the audiences cheers and claps can be pinpointed across the stage with actual space between individual "claps", if that makes sense.

The bass is also really well-done, and the vocals are a treat. I do think there is some peak in the presence region that can make some high-pitched guitar riffs sound too up-front but it's not too bothersome in most tracks.

Hopefully I can share more in the final review which is in the works. Also just received the Titan mesh so gotta play around with that as well.

Great, thank you for the nice write-up. Look forward to trying it out.

I'm not sure why, but in firmware v1.45, the Gryphon will auto shutdown even while music is playing. I don't think this happened before, and it really doesn't make sense to force users to adjust volume every few minutes to keep it awake.

Can we have an option to tune the auto shutdown behavior? I'd like to be able to turn it off, or at least set a timer.
Hi,

This is the first time I have seen this as well - if you roll back the firmware, does this still happen?

I can ask in regards to tuning auto-shutdown timing.

i heard best charging for long life time baterry is with charging device with turn on device before plugging charger. and wait till 70% , and stop. its true ?

what the best charger recomended for griphon?
i had this charge, with tech QC 3.0 maks output 18 Watt.
this the charger :

https://id.aliexpress.com/item/32755282746.html?spm=a2g0o.productlist.0.0.596815dc2I2Q5e&algo_pvid=c6e2e59e-055b-4a3b-8659-559050e71ea5&algo_exp_id=c6e2e59e-055b-4a3b-8659-559050e71ea5-11&pdp_ext_f={"sku_id":"10000014289036273"}&pdp_pi=-1;234372.0;-1;-1@salePrice;IDR;search-mainSearch

this is can great and safe to charge griphon?
if already best spec for charger, share to me...

thanks

1. Yes, the Gryphon only charges to 80% on battery and it stops.

2. Any charger that outputs 5v or more will work, as the Gryphon does not support fast charging and will only take 5v.

Apr 5, 2022 at 3:24 AM Post #1,900 of 3,842
I haven't rolled back the firmware, but I noticed that it doesn't happen with all music players. Only Foobar2000, for some reason.
That means it could be a Windows problem? Does it happen on Mac? I haven't updated FW yet until the noted issues are clarified and resolved.

Apr 5, 2022 at 12:16 PM Post #1,901 of 3,842
Not to bring up a competitor, but it seems the main discussion has been about the Gryphon vs. the Mojo 2, but the clear difference is in the additional features and balanced, and if those matter to you, the Gryphon is the obvious choice. But I'm curious what Fiio is going to to do with the upcoming Q7 and how they're going to price it. Looks like it will have 4.4 balanced, MQA, the same things the Gryphon has but with a phone app. Curious to see how the two compare. I will likely order it and may compare the two here.

I always had a problem with the Fiio Q5 and my Mac laptops though. A little bit of the sound would be "cut off" at the beginning of playback. Never had that problem with iFi.

Apr 5, 2022 at 2:26 PM Post #1,902 of 3,842
Can the battery indicator reflect this? It always seems to show a full charge for me. I turn it on, plug it in and expect the indicator to stop at 80%, but it's always full.

Agree. How can we charge with 80 percent auto stop. Not to full 100. ??

I can ask if that's something we can implement.

I haven't rolled back the firmware, but I noticed that it doesn't happen with all music players. Only Foobar2000, for some reason.

It might be a Foobar related issue - have you tried it on other devices as well, perhaps one with Foobar installed to see if you can replicate it there?

Not to bring up a competitor, but it seems the main discussion has been about the Gryphon vs. the Mojo 2, but the clear difference is in the additional features and balanced, and if those matter to you, the Gryphon is the obvious choice. But I'm curious what Fiio is going to to do with the upcoming Q7 and how they're going to price it. Looks like it will have 4.4 balanced, MQA, the same things the Gryphon has but with a phone app. Curious to see how the two compare. I will likely order it and may compare the two here.

I always had a problem with the Fiio Q5 and my Mac laptops though. A little bit of the sound would be "cut off" at the beginning of playback. Never had that problem with iFi.

Thanks! Folks will appreciate the comparisons when you eventually bring them up.

Apr 7, 2022 at 7:33 AM Post #1,903 of 3,842
After several hours listening Tidal with my Gryphon by the balanced output, my left channel is now almost mute 😢

Firmware 1.43 - > is it the problem?

My IEM are working, so the problem is the Gryphon. On 3.5 output there's no problem.
Is there anything I can do? Factory reset could help? @iFi audio I need help 😅

Thank you!

Edit: I updated the firmware to 1.45, but left channel is still mute on balanced output 😞
Same problem after a factory reset

Edit 2: if can help, it happened when I was enabling xbass/xspace (I don't remember which one, but I was pressing the switch button).
Also the 4.4 line out is mute on left channel.
Anything change if I enable IEMatch/xbass/xspace with xbass in the three different features bass/presence/both
Update with good news!

Short story: Gryphon had no fault, it works! The problem was the cable of my IEM 🤦‍♂️

Long Story: I was really unlucky in my tests: everytime I tested my IEM with other equipment, they worked; every time I connected them to Gryphon, they didn't work.
But in only one of my tests in the retailer store, they worked with Gryphon too. But I had no other 4.4 headphones/IEM to make different tests. Neither the retailer had them.

So I ordered a brand new cable. Today was delivered and everything works!
Now I'm going to buy a better cable, this one I bought just for the test, it's not the best choice :)

I am so sorry to bothered @iFi audio and its fast asisstance, thank you again :pray:

Apr 7, 2022 at 7:12 PM Post #1,905 of 3,842
Some dude said that Gryphon wasn't good for IEMs so why should it exist? I bought it for headphones like A2 Noire that I want--sometimes need-- to hear on the road. I have a tiny little Ray Samuels amp for IEMs...it's about the size of a match box and lasts fifty hours on a charge. I think the guy who wrote this took the "Swiss Army knife" rhetoric too seriously.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back