xDSD Gryphon: birth of a ‘head-fi’ legend
Mar 6, 2022 at 8:19 PM Post #1,728 of 3,839
Hi all!
As an audio enthusiast (no audiophile, or expert though :wink: ) I have been looking to diversify my current portable setup (phone + L&P W1 / Cayin N3 Pro).
I was originally interested in getting either a Fiio M11 Plus ESS or Shanling M6 Pro 21.
However, I saw this neat little Gryphon that picked my interest! Its versatility seems awesome (could be integrated into my desktop setup Topping E30 + Schiit Magni 3), and Bluetooth capabilities look great too.
I have a number of IEMs (FiiO FD5 and JVC FDX1 to cite the top ones, as well as maybe 7Hz Timeless soon), and some headphones too (Senn HD6XX, Monoprice M570, AQ Nighthawk Carbon). Listening would be mostly on Tidal (HiFi Plus account), through the desktop app or on my Android phone (Samsung S21+).
Anyone owning either of these DAPs could advise me on what would be the better buy, mostly in terms of SQ?
Thanks in advance!

Mar 7, 2022 at 4:31 PM Post #1,729 of 3,839
On the latest firmware and loving the ability to disable volumesync & set limits!

One question -- Regardless of the source material, when connected with USB the gryphon KHz indicator only ever shows yellow (PCM 48/44.1kH). I'm using Windows 10 with the latest ifi usb drivers, and the iFi USB Audio Device Control Panel does correctly show the sample rate with each song however the gryphon light only ever shows yellow. Doesn't matter which player I'm using (Tidal, Qobuz, foobar, etc), or what protocol (ASIO, WASAPI, Direct). Anyone else experience this? @iFi audio any ideas?

If the problem were upstream I'd understand, but the fact that the iFi drivers do correctly reflect the sample rate has me confused.

Mar 7, 2022 at 4:54 PM Post #1,730 of 3,839
@iFi audio any ideas?

This would mean that your xDSD Gryphon is getting 44.1/48kHz streams, so your Win10 has to prevent any sample rates above that, but maybe @Sebastien Chiu has any ideas, thanks :)

iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/people/IFi-audio/61558986775162/ https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
Mar 7, 2022 at 5:46 PM Post #1,731 of 3,839
Is the iFi USB driver not the last link in the chain before the signal is sent over USB to the gryphon? If this was a windows mixer issue limiting sampling rate to 44.1/48, the iFi USB driver would only see 44.1 or 48. But the driver sees the correct rate, all the way up to 192.

Mar 7, 2022 at 6:06 PM Post #1,732 of 3,839
Windows 10/11 like to reset the USB output rate to 44k at random.

Settings > Sound > USB Output > change output to 384k.

Mar 8, 2022 at 10:35 AM Post #1,734 of 3,839
Just joined the club! :beerchug:

I immediately did a DIY screen protector - it's not perfect but its gonna do the job!

20220308_225938.jpg

FYI for those Galaxy Fold 2/3 users - if you purchased protective film for your phone's spine and have some left- use it! :wink:

Last edited:
Mar 8, 2022 at 12:25 PM Post #1,735 of 3,839
How strong is Bluetooth (LDAC)? I currently have the Qudelix 5K and I can listen to my entire property in LDAC, upstairs/downstairs, when I leave my phone on my office desk, on the first floor. Approximately the same, with my UTWS5 (aptX Adaptive), even though the Qudelix is much stronger. I have a few drops, at some spots, with the UTWS5 but nothing serious, like in some corners of the bathroom. How strong is the Bluetooth signal on the Gryphon?

Mar 8, 2022 at 12:36 PM Post #1,736 of 3,839
How strong is Bluetooth (LDAC)? I currently have the Qudelix 5K and I can listen to my entire property in LDAC, upstairs/downstairs, when I leave my phone on my office desk, on the first floor. Approximately the same, with my UTWS5 (aptX Adaptive), even though the Qudelix is much stronger. I have a few drops, at some spots, with the UTWS5 but nothing serious, like in some corners of the bathroom. How strong is the Bluetooth signal on the Gryphon?
In my testing using LDAC, it had similar range to BTR5. From what I read, Qudelix 5k has better range than BTR5 so...

I do sometimes experience stutters even when having Gryphon in one pocket and phone (LG G8x) in another, but it's rare, like 2-3 times while listening for 2 hours...

Mar 8, 2022 at 1:45 PM Post #1,737 of 3,839
We have no info about these at this time, but we're aware that xDSD Gryphon should have one!

That's correct, xDSD Gryphon's line out is variable and becomes fixed if volume is set to 0dB. So yes, you can use xDSD Gryphon as a DAC and preamp for your power amps or active speakers.
Hi there...I am a Gryphon owner and was wondering with the new volume stepping through 106, at what point in the line out fixed? Thanks.

Mar 8, 2022 at 1:52 PM Post #1,738 of 3,839
In my testing using LDAC, it had similar range to BTR5. From what I read, Qudelix 5k has better range than BTR5 so...

I do sometimes experience stutters even when having Gryphon in one pocket and phone (LG G8x) in another, but it's rare, like 2-3 times while listening for 2 hours...
Thank you for your reply. I have never (ever) experienced any stuttering while having my phone and my Qudelix 5K on me. Actually, I almost never use it this way, because I am only using it indoors. so I can leave my phone on my desk or on my bedside cabinets. upstairs in the bedrooms. We will see....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back