xDSD Gryphon: birth of a ‘head-fi’ legend
Jan 23, 2022 at 7:06 AM Post #1,457 of 3,839
Is there a technical reason for using two smaller cells rather than one larger cell? Do the cells power different circuits perhaps? I'd fill out an RMA and have your unit replaced.
I can't think of one.

Using two cells like this is a design decision based on cost vs battery capacity. The battery has to fit around the screen hence the "L" shape. A custom "L" shaped battery would have been the best option but would be very expensive, so iFi came up with this genius (but I'm not convinced yet) solution of using two different capacity Li-Ion batteries.

I assume the cells are supposed to be connected in series to double the voltage, they must be because if they were in parallel the voltages would be the same across both cells because they are connected + to + and - to -.

Of course my battery may be faulty so we can conclude nothing from my musings.

Jan 23, 2022 at 8:46 AM Post #1,458 of 3,839
All's good in the world for now. :)

The MarkParity tm Jumper cable and Chilling to Aurora on a Sunday afternoon.

20220123_131735.jpg 20220123_134223.jpg

Last edited:
Jan 23, 2022 at 9:07 AM Post #1,459 of 3,839
Hi folks!
JVC HA-FW10000 & ifi xDSD gryphon
Fantastic pair!

77.jpg

Jan 23, 2022 at 10:42 AM Post #1,461 of 3,839
HWA

Jan 23, 2022 at 4:07 PM Post #1,465 of 3,839
IMG_20220123_213646.jpg

Not sure why it doesn't work.
I no longer have my NW-A55l but I don't remember it being able to output audio via the USB connection. Have you successfully done this with other DAC/amps?

Jan 23, 2022 at 5:29 PM Post #1,466 of 3,839
I was thinking of replacing my old Zen DAC with the Gryphon but reading all the complaints about the 4.4mm connection, I guess I’ll wait.

I bought my Zen DAC 3 years ago I think. It also has this problem of not properly fitting in the 4.4mm jack. I did not return it as I was able to use it and still using it by not plugging in the cable completely but only half way through.

IFI cannot blame the cable here because this one is the stock cable that comes with the Sony Z1R and it fits perfectly on my other DACs including the Go Blu.

Looks like IFI’s DACs having inconsistent 4.4mm jacks is more common than it’s known. It’s a shame given everything else the DACs have to offer.

Jan 23, 2022 at 5:48 PM Post #1,467 of 3,839
I am thinking this would be great between the Xbox controller and my headphones/ IEMs.

Jan 23, 2022 at 5:54 PM Post #1,468 of 3,839
I was thinking of replacing my old Zen DAC with the Gryphon but reading all the complaints about the 4.4mm connection, I guess I’ll wait.

I bought my Zen DAC 3 years ago I think. It also has this problem of not properly fitting in the 4.4mm jack. I did not return it as I was able to use it and still using it by not plugging in the cable completely but only half way through.

IFI cannot blame the cable here because this one is the stock cable that comes with the Sony Z1R and it fits perfectly on my other DACs including the Go Blu.

Looks like IFI’s DACs having inconsistent 4.4mm jacks is more common than it’s known. It’s a shame given everything else the DACs have to offer.
I've been considering this dac, read my way through this whole thread and on the subject of the 4.4mm connector, ifi posted this:

"Our 4.4mm ports are built to the spec that matches the official Pentacon jack, not a 3rd party reproduction"

Seems an odd statement, the Pentaconn connector is a Pentaconn products / NDCL product. From this, I'd assume anything said to be "built to the spec that matches" is a knock off (otherwise known as a third party reproduction), in that it's not made by NDCL.

Anyone have a micrometer? Measure the Pentaconn plug that is tight. If it's 4.45mm or smaller and it's tight, the socket is likely undersize. If the internal diameter is wrong or out of round, it would follow that other aspects of the connector could be out of tolerance or not to spec.

I really like the idea of this product and it fits my use case well, but as I'm intending using it with a 4.4mm Pentaconn plug, I'll hold off until the issue is resolved.

Jan 23, 2022 at 10:26 PM Post #1,469 of 3,839
This is anecdotal, but I have had the following experiences with 4.4 balanced and iFi.

- Purchased an iFi Hip Dac and tried to use it with my Campfire Audio Cascades and an SXC8 Balanced cable that had worked with ALL other devices. Cable cut out in the left channel on the Hip Dac unless held against the side of the connector. Campfire replaced the cable through the dealer and replacement was fine.

- Purchased a Diablo (since sold) and Gryphon. All my 4.4mm cable worked BUT, purchased a Dunu Noble and the 4.4mm interchangeable plug had the same issue as above with BOTH the Diablo and Gryphon. Dunu sent me a replacement and it was fine with both.

I have and have had many different devices and this has only happened with iFi. It would seem to indicate that there is SOME issue with tolerances (either too loose or too tight) with 4.4mm and iFi that other devices seem to not exhibit.

Jan 24, 2022 at 12:44 AM Post #1,470 of 3,839
The only devices I have to compare the Gryphon/GO blu 4.4 ports to are HiBy's R8 and RS6 DAPs. With both DAPs the plugs go in and out silky smooth with hardly any resistance, and are still seated firmly. The ifi ports, by comparison, are tight, with several clicks along the way and a final larger click when fully seated. It takes some effort, using both hands, to insert and remove them, whereas with the HiBy's it can easily be done one handed.

The same goes for the Pro iDSD, which I've been testing this weekend. The left channel occasionally cuts out using my genuine Sony Z1R Pentaconn cable with the Pro, but not with the Gryphon/GO blu.

Since I have no real issues other than the tightness, I'm ok with it. Except I am a bit worried the tight ports might start stripping the gold plating off the cable connectors. If that happens, there's a serious problem.

I think the only way it can be resolved, however, is for ifi to switch connector suppliers, and that's a major undertaking.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back