xDSD Gryphon: birth of a ‘head-fi’ legend
Jan 22, 2022 at 7:52 AM Post #1,441 of 3,834
Trying to adjust to the Gryphon..

PXL_20220122_124804847.PORTRAIT.jpg

Jan 22, 2022 at 9:30 AM Post #1,442 of 3,834
MQA can be confusing even after researching how it works... :sunglasses:
Nothing confusing about adding noise and throwing away informaiotn
The odd thing here is that my biggest issue in terms of stiffness is from what I understand is my only original Pentaconn jack - the PW on Traillii! Maybe others are but that's certainly the only one branded as such.

I am having an issue with all my 4.4mm cables. All of a sudden I realize I am not hearing the left headphone/IEM, and I look at the connection and it seems that the connector slipped out a little. I have to push it back in, and then if I jiggle the unit slightly it comes out. The same thing with 4.4mm input.

This is not funny. I am not able to hold the unit in my hand with the DAP, because cable will slip. Even resting the Gryphon and DAP on a flat surface, I have to be careful that the cable shouldn't move too much.

I have never had this issue with any prior DAP or amp going back a number of years (and I have quite a few, both IFI and FIIO, Hiby, etc.)

Edit: I hate to actually be asking this, as I should not have to spend more, but can anyone recommend a 4.4mm to 4.4mm connector that fits perfectly?

Last edited:
Jan 22, 2022 at 1:42 PM Post #1,444 of 3,834
For clarity, is the volume jump issue only something that happens with Tidal?
I used it with Apple Music when the jump happened
I really don't understand, why some people want to increase the volume on the mac, isn't it more convenient to adjust it on the Gryphon?
Well, I use my mac in clamshell mode, so the Gryphon (with its short cable) is a bit farther from my keyboard. Plus, I always have my hand on my keyboard, so it's more convenient to adjust the volume on the mac.

Jan 22, 2022 at 3:20 PM Post #1,445 of 3,834
Sub’ed

Til mojo2 comes out, this is in the top of my list. I don’t know… truly good times for audio, but man, this waiting times.

I’m torn in between cayin n6II r01 (already got the dap) , this and mojo2…

Jan 23, 2022 at 2:06 AM Post #1,451 of 3,834
As I'm waiting (5 days now) for iFi to confirm my questions on the RMA, I decided to use it again last night - interestingly, the stiff issue has been resolved since that part fell out!

@Sebastien Chiu / @iFi audio - can you please nudge your customer service team to respond?

Last edited by a moderator:
Jan 23, 2022 at 3:03 AM Post #1,453 of 3,834
Did you think it's hardware dependent or it's possible a firmware upgrade?
I see the Centrance suggested before works without battery too
I have no way of knowing without a circuit diagram so I can't say for sure.

My guess is yes, a "without battery mode" could be added to the F/W as the board does power up without a battery but a low battery warning is displayed and the unit powers off after a few seconds, this low battery thing could perhaps be a firmware thing.

My another guess is the chances of iFi adding this "feature" though would be slim to none.

Jan 23, 2022 at 3:50 AM Post #1,454 of 3,834
I have no way of knowing without a circuit diagram so I can't say for sure.

My guess is yes, a "without battery mode" could be added to the F/W as the board does power up without a battery but a low battery warning is displayed and the unit powers off after a few seconds, this low battery thing could perhaps be a firmware thing.

My another guess is the chances of iFi adding this "feature" though would be slim to none.
@iFi audio @Sebastien Chiu
Some word about it?

Jan 23, 2022 at 6:36 AM Post #1,455 of 3,834
Here are some "better" pictures of the identifying marks on the cells in the battery if anyone is interested.

The red and black wires attached to the 1250mah cell are my solution to this cell discharging too low to recover (this problem may well affect my unit only)

iFi have not contacted me personally to ask for my Gryphon to be returned for investigation, should I expect this?

In any case I am going to leave these separate charge wires attached so that when this happens again I can quickly remove the end cover access the wire and charge the cell without removing the battery or the circuit board from the case.

To anyone saying "just return it and get iFi to fix it" I would if I 100% thought the issue could be fixed. Many people in this hobby love to tinker and improve stuff. Op-amp rolling, tube rolling. This is just my version of that.

The smaller of the two cells:

20220123_111049.jpg

The bigger cell:

20220123_111106.jpg

My external charging setup (Note smaller cell is 1% charged cell the bigger cell was at 99%):

20220123_110428.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back