xDSD Gryphon: birth of a ‘head-fi’ legend
Dec 6, 2021 at 7:19 PM Post #796 of 3,842
I've had no issues with the Gryphon and Campfire Audio Solstice. It's a voltage divider. Literally just that.
It raises the output impedance and changes the FR of the Solaris. Graphs provided earlier in this thread prove this. If you don't have an issue with the change then jam on :)

Last edited:
Dec 6, 2021 at 8:00 PM Post #798 of 3,842
I don't plan on doing this often. But is there a benefit to leveraging this for bluetooth headphones vs just connecting directly to my iphone via bluetooth?

Dec 6, 2021 at 8:07 PM Post #799 of 3,842
I don't plan on doing this often. But is there a benefit to leveraging this for bluetooth headphones vs just connecting directly to my iphone via bluetooth?
I don’t believe the Gryphon has bluetooth output.

Dec 6, 2021 at 9:16 PM Post #800 of 3,842
Currently testing Gryphon balanced line out (4.4mm to xlr) to my power amp (m-pwr).

I’m quite nervous, without volume limit or host volume control disregard, really anxious if any sudden sound/notification from my PC will blast my speakers to the oblivion.

Again, after the initial driver setup, my windows volume tied to the gryphon volume control, and it was set to 100% by default!

I turned off my power amp immediately and turned down the volume to 1% after.
Boy, i feel all tensed with the experience!

Anyway, now everything is setup properly - my initial impression with the line out/pre-amp quality is better than i expected.

First, XBass and XSpace is work with the line out, will experimenting with these later.

Second, the sonic quality is even better than i expected, and if i remembered correctly, Gryphon sound a tad better compared to Qutest. Gryphon sound more 3D even in my near-field setup, the details and dynamics that shared with the delta sigma’s DAC is here, with smoother treble.
(If compared to SU-9 and X16).

Third, DSD and MQA work, along with 768Khz PCM after you install the driver (for Windows)

That’s all, will test this further.

Attachments

• 8310DDED-982B-4093-ABE5-D135269FFE1A.jpeg
    8310DDED-982B-4093-ABE5-D135269FFE1A.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
Dec 7, 2021 at 6:20 AM Post #802 of 3,842
Nobody else using wired with a Samsung handset such as the S10/11/20/21?

Dec 7, 2021 at 9:11 AM Post #804 of 3,842
There are no graphs. I saw a post were you misinterpreted some data but no Solaris graphs. Feel free to post them though.

The fr data is on page 32. It's pretty clear. The Solaris is more sensitive
and has a lower impedance than the Andromeda so the changes can be assumed to be more significant. Like I said if you are fine with it great. If you want to act like engaging iematch doesn't change fr on certain iems, also great. So long as you enjoy it then by all means, enjoy it. Gryphon is still a great device.

Screenshot_20211207-071331.jpg

This is old data, check out the new IEmatch 4.4 here which I would assume is more near what is in the Gryphon. It's significantly worse. There is very good info in this thread linked below. I recommend you read through it. If I actually misinterpreted something please, let me know. We're all here to learn and enjoy the hobby.

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/ifi...d-listening-to-the-full.960847/#post-16680862

Last edited:
Dec 7, 2021 at 9:49 AM Post #805 of 3,842
Lol ok, The fr data is on page 32. It's pretty clear. The Solaris is more sensitive
and has a lower impedance than the Andromeda so the changes may be more significant. Like I said if you are fine with it great. If you want to act like engaging iematch doesn't change fr on certain campfire iems, also great. So long as you enjoy it then by all means, enjoy it. Gryphon is still a great device.

Screenshot_20211207-071331.jpg

And this is old data, check out the new IEmatch 4.4 here which I was assume is more near what is in the Gryphon.

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/ifi...d-listening-to-the-full.960847/#post-16680862

Read the thread, there's plenty of the proof you seek in there.

I figured this was the data you were alluding to but wanted to confirm since you kept talking about the Solaris. The graph shows another IEM with a completely different iEMatch system. I never once said it doesn't change the FR. In fact, it's been known for years at this point. Again, I just wanted you to show actual data on your claims. I agree the OI of the new 4.4mm iEMatch is disappointing and will **** with the FR of super sensitive IEMs. But until it's confirmed that it the same system used in the Gryphon should you really be making that claim?

@iFi audio @Sebastien Chiu - Can you confirm the OI of the 3.5mm and 4.4mm jack withe the iEMatch engaged on the Gryphon? The manual has the OI as <1Ω but I assume that's without the iEMatch. Just trying to keep the signal to noise ratio of the thread down and a solid answer should help.

Dec 7, 2021 at 10:00 AM Post #806 of 3,842
I figured this was the data you were alluding to but wanted to confirm since you kept talking about the Solaris. The graph shows another IEM with a completely different iEMatch system. I never once said it doesn't change the FR. In fact, it's been known for years at this point. Again, I just wanted you to show actual data on your claims. I agree the OI of the new 4.4mm iEMatch is disappointing and will **** with the FR of super sensitive IEMs. But until it's confirmed that it the same system used in the Gryphon should you really be making that claim?

@iFi audio @Sebastien Chiu - Can you confirm the OI of the 3.5mm and 4.4mm jack withe the iEMatch engaged on the Gryphon? The manual has the OI as <1Ω but I assume that's without the iEMatch. Just trying to keep the signal to noise ratio of the thread down and a solid answer should help.

The Solaris is more sensitive with a lower impedance. From a statistical standpoint it'll be impacted more. That's a mathematical fact. This data was provided by an Ifi rep so I assume it's somewhat relative. This is where my claim is based. As for the speculation part I'd be shocked if they released a more suitable 4.4mm solution in the Gryphon (one can hope) than what they just announced to sell separately at the same time.

Last edited:
Dec 7, 2021 at 11:27 AM Post #807 of 3,842
Nobody else using wired with a Samsung handset such as the S10/11/20/21?
I will test it with my Samsung S10e, once I get my Gryphon... So that could take a little while...

Dec 7, 2021 at 12:48 PM Post #808 of 3,842
Has anyone paired this with Moondrop Variations or similar? I was contemplating getting the campfire but based on above thinking about going with the moondrops.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back