xDSD Gryphon: birth of a ‘head-fi’ legend
Dec 5, 2021 at 11:50 PM Post #766 of 3,839
Thanks for your reply. Guess I'd be trying to find a DAP then, as I didn't like the IEMatch with the OG Andromeda.
My WM1A has minor hiss with Solaris but the sound is..wow. Hiss isn't noticable with music. I think the A55 would be a cheap good way to go.

Dec 6, 2021 at 1:04 AM Post #767 of 3,839
Thanks for your reply. Guess I'd be trying to find a DAP then, as I didn't like the IEMatch with the OG Andromeda.
The Gryphon does a lot of things really well, just can't recommend it solely for campfire audio IEMs.

Dec 6, 2021 at 1:18 AM Post #768 of 3,839
Thanks for your inputs. I know the gryphon is a capable device and would surely perform well for others, however I have no intention to replace my Andromedas anytime soon so yeah guess I'd have to find out what works best with them to replace my aging walkman. I liked the WM1A a lot and would consider buying it once it's available here.

Dec 6, 2021 at 1:24 AM Post #769 of 3,839
Thanks for your inputs. I know the gryphon is a capable device and would surely perform well for others, however I have no intention to replace my Andromedas anytime soon so yeah guess I'd have to find out what works best with them to replace my aging walkman. I liked the WM1A a lot and would consider buying it once it's available here.
Can't import where you are at? If you end up snagging one look into the custom firmware for it. Or just grab an A55. Despite the price there's a lot of enjoyment to be had when it comes to campfire IEMs.

Last edited:
Dec 6, 2021 at 10:36 AM Post #772 of 3,839
Got mine today and hook it up to a raspberry pi (the golden thing) running Volumio3 with TIDAL MQA out.
BTR5, E1DA9038S G3 Susumu, SMSL500, ifi Zen CAN Signature V2 HFM, and ifi Go Blu will probably
collect dust somewhere as this one sounds better and is a keeper. I put it on charge and hope the'
charging time won't be too long. I am a Linux/Fedora girl and unfortunately, there is no other way to get MQA than
running Volumio on a Debian. Widnows10? -- Not my cup of tea!

4032-3024-max.jpg

Last edited:
Dec 6, 2021 at 11:34 AM Post #773 of 3,839
Anybody else similar issues with wired connection to a Samsung mobile phone as I noted on previous page?

@Sebastien Chiu
@iFi audio any possible updates that could fix this issue?

Dec 6, 2021 at 12:01 PM Post #774 of 3,839
Received mine a few hours ago, I find no GTO filter unfortunately. The unit is new and playing to my utopia with roon by usb connected to an iPad.

I have a question for the users already have it, does the unit change with time? I feel at least with the utopia out of the box that the clarity or separation is a little congested..

the hardware design is beautiful and until now is working as expected, strange the manual mentions the gto filter and is non existent. MQA works perfectly.

The GTO filter will be coming in the next firmware update. I don't have a date yet but soon!

Gryphon screen brightness should have a auto low brightness setting. The auto uses max brightness and is ok, but a auto with low brightness is a welcome addition if possible for late at night listening and checking the screen.

Thanks for the suggestion, I'll toss this up to the team!

Is there any way of using the Gryphon as a DAC only into a desktop amp?

No, but our amps have incredibly low distortion and can basically be used as a desktop amp as a result!

@Sebastien Chiu
@iFi audio

I've come across an issue that I'm reporting to you uys but don't think you'll be able to fix.

First off, well done on an excellent looking, excellent featured and excellent sounding device especially when using Bluetooth, also excellent sound when using via USB to my Samsung S21 Ultra, however only if I use the USB Audio Player Pro app. It seems that an age old problem with certain Android handsets is going to affect the Gryphon.

If I use the Gryphon via USB and use my Amazon HD service then I hear small clicks and pops in the background of the music. I had this with the Dragonfly Cobalt and Audioquest explained it is something to do with the maximum sample rate of the Android audio driver. USB Audio Player Pro bypasses the driver so effectively eliminates the issue however they only support Tidal and Qobuz and doesn't support offline listening.

This is not really Ifi-audio's fault but will probably make it a deal breaker for me as although I do store music on my phone I do tend to use my streaming service more and can't listen to pops and clicks.

Be interesting if any other Samsung users have this, I think it mainly affects the chipsets used in Euro models, and if they have found any solutions. Well reported over at Samsung forums but to my knowledge never resolved, Samsung don't feel it is their issue. It's been happening since around the S7 days.

Anybody else similar issues with wired connection to a Samsung mobile phone as I noted on previous page?

@Sebastien Chiu
@iFi audio any possible updates that could fix this issue?

Hey bud,

This is the first time I have seen this issue. I agree with you and think it's something unique to Samsung's side.

That said, I will still take your feedback and diagnosing up to the team, and see if there' any additional insight we can provide.

Thanks for putting your time into it, and sorry this is happening :frowning2:

Dec 6, 2021 at 12:03 PM Post #775 of 3,839
I wasn't planning to get this by any means, but the proposition is hard to miss after a brief intimate listening time yesterday in our local "mini can jam"
Hopefully, I don't regret the purchase, but my fingers are crossed!

Just a quick PSA, seems I almost blow my eardrums accidentally - it seems the USB connection between Gryphon and Apple OS (Macbook Pro) isn't that stable, it has a tendency to restart the connection in the midst of my listening session, unfortunately, Gryphon volume control is directly connected with the system - so whenever there is a restart, the volume was set to 100% - hence translated to Turbo +6dB in Gryphon. So beware guys! I hope there is a good workaround for this. (my Qudelix 5K can bypass the host volume control to avoid this issue)

Also, with Tidal, AVOID Force Volume control ! that is guaranteed to blow your ears to the kingdom come!
Even the force volume mode is turned off, any MQA contents love to tease +6dB turbo mode briefly before adjusting to the intended volume.
This making my palms wet :frowning2:

Attachments

• gryphon_small.jpg
    gryphon_small.jpg
    700.2 KB · Views: 0
Dec 6, 2021 at 12:04 PM Post #776 of 3,839
@Sebastien Chiu
Thanks for the reply. I'm pretty sure it's purely driver problem, I had a Fiio Q5 a while and it doesnt suffer the issue apparently because the hardware uses it own driver, not sure if that is true though.
For most people the USB Audio Pro app will be a work around if they use Tidal or Qobuz but for those of using Amazon or others then this problem will still exist.

Just for reference, I also had the same issue with Hip Dac v1

Last edited:
Dec 6, 2021 at 12:38 PM Post #777 of 3,839
I have an intriguing question, why there always multiple firmwares for the same product, each one has different functionality, why not only one firmware with all the funtiionality?

I found the pro iDSD has only one firmware that does it all, but on the mobile dac’s that’s not the case will the gryphon have the same approach of the pro iDSD or with a firmware that have it all, or will have multiple options that we have to loose something to have another, thanks.

Last edited:
Dec 6, 2021 at 12:44 PM Post #778 of 3,839
I wasn't planning to get this by any means, but the proposition is hard to miss after a brief intimate listening time yesterday in our local "mini can jam"
Hopefully, I don't regret the purchase, but my fingers are crossed!

Just a quick PSA, seems I almost blow my eardrums accidentally - it seems the USB connection between Gryphon and Apple OS (Macbook Pro) isn't that stable, it has a tendency to restart the connection in the midst of my listening session, unfortunately, Gryphon volume control is directly connected with the system - so whenever there is a restart, the volume was set to 100% - hence translated to Turbo +6dB in Gryphon. So beware guys! I hope there is a good workaround for this. (my Qudelix 5K can bypass the host volume control to avoid this issue)

Also, with Tidal, AVOID Force Volume control ! that is guaranteed to blow your ears to the kingdom come!
Even the force volume mode is turned off, any MQA contents love to tease +6dB turbo mode briefly before adjusting to the intended volume.
This making my palms wet :frowning2:

We are aware of the volume issue and looking into it as well. No updates at this time until we diagnose what's actually causing it.

I have an intriguing question, why there always multiple firmwares for the same product, each one has different functionality, why not only one firmware with all the funtiionality?

I found the pro iDSD has only one firmware that does it all, but on the mobile dac’s that’s not the case will the gryphon have the same approach of the pro iDSD or with a firmware that have it all, or will have multiple options that we have to loose something to have another, thanks.

There are some intricacies with firmware that do not allow us at this time to put all of it in one place for our lower-end devices.

The Pro iDSD was built with that as a leading idea around its construction, and that's why it's currently the only device that can do what you mentioned fully in our line-up.

Dec 6, 2021 at 12:49 PM Post #779 of 3,839
We are aware of the volume issue and looking into it as well. No updates at this time until we diagnose what's actually causing it.

There are some intricacies with firmware that do not allow us at this time to put all of it in one place for our lower-end devices.

The Pro iDSD was built with that as a leading idea around its construction, and that's why it's currently the only device that can do what you mentioned fully in our line-up.
Thanks the reply. The pro iDSD is very good, one of the pieces os hardware that will live with me for many years to come.

Dec 6, 2021 at 1:03 PM Post #780 of 3,839
Got the Gryphon over the weekend and it's perfect. Best combination of all things (strong power and xbass for my LCD-5, IEM match for Solaris and Dorado), 4.4 and 3.5 mm. Battery indicator in OLED. Bluetooth.

I'm set for a long time with this.

No issues with volume or any problems thus far with it.

My poor xdsd and diablo need new homes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back