xDSD Gryphon: birth of a ‘head-fi’ legend
Dec 6, 2021 at 1:09 PM Post #781 of 3,842
Got the Gryphon over the weekend and it's perfect. Best combination of all things (strong power and xbass for my LCD-5, IEM match for Solaris and Dorado), 4.4 and 3.5 mm. Battery indicator in OLED. Bluetooth.

I'm set for a long time with this.

No issues with volume or any problems thus far with it.

My poor xdsd and diablo need new homes.
Hello, a comparison with the Diablo is welcome. Thanks.

Dec 6, 2021 at 1:15 PM Post #782 of 3,842
Hello, a comparison with the Diablo is welcome. Thanks.
For IEMs, the Gryphon is much better because built-in IEM match and none of the hiss of Diablo. (Hiss doesn't bother me but I know it bothers some).

For LCD-5, I will need to AB more, but it narrows the sense of space in the LCD-5. It's not congested, but just narrower. The Diablo definitely is the preferred solution because of the power, even running it at normal mode. The detail retrieval seems on par. If you have more power-hungry headphones, Diablo is definitely the winner. I feel the Gryphon is close enough to Diablo for me that the convenience of the xbass and Bluetooth are clearly enough to use it with LCD-5 as a long-term solution.

The Diablo can drive any full-sized headphone well and almost as fully as many desktop amps. If bluetooth, xbass and IEMs are not important to you, then I would go with Diablo because it'll pretty much work for any full-sized headphone you'll ever throw at it.

Dec 6, 2021 at 1:22 PM Post #783 of 3,842
For IEMs, the Gryphon is much better because built-in IEM match and none of the hiss of Diablo. (Hiss doesn't bother me but I know it bothers some).

For LCD-5, I will need to AB more, but it narrows the sense of space in the LCD-5. It's not congested, but just narrower. The Diablo definitely is the preferred solution because of the power, even running it at normal mode. The detail retrieval seems on par. If you have more power-hungry headphones, Diablo is definitely the winner. I feel the Gryphon is close enough to Diablo for me that the convenience of the xbass and Bluetooth are clearly enough to use it with LCD-5 as a long-term solution.

The Diablo can drive any full-sized headphone well and almost as fully as many desktop amps. If bluetooth, xbass and IEMs are not important to you, then I would go with Diablo because it'll pretty much work for any full-sized headphone you'll ever throw at it.

I already have the gryphon but was curious about the Diablo, I only have a pair of focal utopia, maybe in the future I purchase another pair of headphones.

Dec 6, 2021 at 2:23 PM Post #784 of 3,842
Anyone paired this with the OG/2020 Andromeda yet? How was the hiss?
andro.jpg

With my Andro Ti I must use 3.5mm or IEMatch, which is too bad since they look great together... I'm also somewhat reluctant to use it with any IEM if there's any chance the volume will go to 100% unexpectedly. Other than that, the Grypon is awesome, it's amazing how far we've come since I joined Head-Fi (back then Xin Feng amps were TOTL)!

Dec 6, 2021 at 3:10 PM Post #786 of 3,842
Does anyone know if the built in IEMatch changes the output impedance at all, similar to the way the stand alone dongles do? And if so, what those values might be?

Dec 6, 2021 at 3:26 PM Post #787 of 3,842
hi Mr. Sebastian, I appreciate your help here and I have just one thing I am concerned about regarding my Gryphon. Are we going to receive a firmware upgrade (when?) to get AptX lossless working?

AptX Lossless is not a firmware-related upgrade as of now, nor is it our decision.

It's up to Qualcomm if they want to extend that compatibility past the very limited selection of chips that currently work with it.

Dec 6, 2021 at 4:06 PM Post #789 of 3,842
Dec 6, 2021 at 4:08 PM Post #790 of 3,842
AptX Lossless is not a firmware-related upgrade as of now, nor is it our decision.

It's up to Qualcomm if they want to extend that compatibility past the very limited selection of chips that currently work with it.
so, do you mean that the current chipset in this unit is not listed by Qualcomm as compatible wrt AptX lossless?

Dec 6, 2021 at 4:11 PM Post #791 of 3,842
so, do you mean that the current chipset in this unit is not listed by Qualcomm as compatible wrt AptX lossless?

Yes. We aren't the only company dealing with the influx of AptX Lossless questions as a result.

Dec 6, 2021 at 5:47 PM Post #792 of 3,842
When using gryphon with an iPhone or iPad with acc Bluetooth connection how much is the bitrate of acc comparing to cd?

ACC Is for sure less, but how much less, thanks for your reply’s?

Dec 6, 2021 at 6:02 PM Post #794 of 3,842
When using gryphon with an iPhone or iPad with acc Bluetooth connection how much is the bitrate of acc comparing to cd?

ACC Is for sure less, but how much less, thanks for your reply’s?
Typically, it has a transfer rate cap of 256kbps, creating a file similar to that of a mid-quality MP3 which operates at 320kbps.

Last edited:
Dec 6, 2021 at 6:15 PM Post #795 of 3,842
I find the review at least with respecting the iOS devices kind of wrong, I am using the iPad Pro connected by usb playing from roon with no issues at all as I am replying here now, also tried with iPhone and worked the same way, not alone with the provided cables as any other usb cable, even an apple usb-c to usb-c, so the review could be misleading. I also have the go blu, and the diference is very noticeable between the two units.

Unfortunately I have the hip Dac 1 not the 2 and in that I can’t comment.

But this makes me think that the neo idsd could be an interesting dac to take the place of my pro idsd on the computer and migrate the pro iDSD to the living roon to have another flavor of dac on my main system.

Edited to add: The go blu is cheaper but also a has lot less features and functionality. None the less is also a lovely product.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back