xDSD Gryphon: birth of a ‘head-fi’ legend
Jan 14, 2023 at 1:16 PM Post #3,256 of 3,835
Deffinately no hissing, just a little faint noise if you listen carefully, but that is with extreme low latency like the shure se846 around 9/10 ohm. But the moment you listen music it is gone. More noticable on the 4.4 (because if the higher power). But the 4.4 does sound better than the 3.5 port. In extreme cases you could use the iematch, but I don’t even use it on the shure se846. The gryphon is a amazing device. Love the small form factor.
I do have to say though I tried the arya stealth on the gryphon, and yes it definately sounded great, seriously great! Don’t let anyone let you tell otherwise.

But connected to for example to the ifi micro idsd signature you could hear a little bit more of control on the arya as a whole (but! Not night and day, just a little better) Just little bit smoother as a whole
Thank you for sharing your experience. Its great that Gryphon would pair well with Arya. Actually I'm going to use Gryphon mostly with Mest Indigo and Mest Mk2 for portable or travelling purpose. Arya I'll use at home only. I'm planning to buy a good desktop DAC after few months specially to pair with Arya but till then I'll use Gryphon only with Arya as well. So it is good to know that Gryphon doesn't hiss with any of the Arya, Indigo or Mk2; or otherwise it is very less, not noticeable hiss via 4.4mm. So I'm planning to go ahead with Gryphon soon. Thank you. 😊

Last edited:
Jan 14, 2023 at 3:41 PM Post #3,257 of 3,835
I'm having a few weird issues when I pair the KANN Max with my iFi Hip-Dac2 and Gryphon. Both exhibit gaps in playback of MQA files. These sound like pops in the music. Straight from the KANN the MQA files play perfectly. This wasn’t an issue on the KANN Alpha. Does anyone have any idea what would be the cause of this?

Jan 14, 2023 at 3:52 PM Post #3,258 of 3,835
Thank you for sharing your experience. Its great that Gryphon would pair well with Arya. Actually I'm going to use Gryphon mostly with Mest Indigo and Mest Mk2 for portable or travelling purpose. Arya I'll use at home only. I'm planning to buy a good desktop DAC after few months specially to pair with Arya but till then I'll use Gryphon only with Arya as well. So it is good to know that Gryphone doesn't hiss with any of the Arya, Indigo or Mk2; or otherwise it is very less, not noticeable hiss via 4.4mm. So I'm planning to go ahead with Gryphon soon. Thank you. 😊
You will enjoy it, I am looking for a bigger amp as well, but definately will keep my versatile gryphon

Jan 14, 2023 at 4:01 PM Post #3,259 of 3,835
I'm having a few weird issues when I pair the KANN Max with my iFi Hip-Dac2 and Gryphon. Both exhibit gaps in playback of MQA files. These sound like pops in the music. Straight from the KANN the MQA files play perfectly. This wasn’t an issue on the KANN Alpha. Does anyone have any idea what would be the cause of this?

When you say MQA files do you mean streaming from Tidal ?

I get that using a Fiio M11 Android DAP to stream but not when using a MacBook.

I have seen numerous comments about this and it seems the consensus is it is a Tidal app problem rather than an ifi device problem.

I don’t recall having the problem if I use coaxial out of the M11 into the Gryphon so I assume it is a result of the two way USB communication between the devices.

Jan 14, 2023 at 4:14 PM Post #3,260 of 3,835
Thinking of selling A50s/D50s and getting a FiiO K7/9 and selling the RU6 for a Gryphon. Thoughts?

Jan 15, 2023 at 12:28 AM Post #3,261 of 3,835
Thinking of selling A50s/D50s and getting a FiiO K7/9 and selling the RU6 for a Gryphon. Thoughts?
My two cents. Gryphon is definitely a buy. So versatile and full of features with great sound. I did demo it once and since then it is in my mind for me to buy it. K7 will not be of much use when you already have Gryphon. Also do you mean K9 pro? There is huge price difference between K7 and K9 pro. So if you are going in K9 pro range, you can explore many other options. I have just now started my research for a desktop DAC so little early for now as I have only shortlisted hifiman EF400 for now, but this shortlist will grow in few weeks before I decide which one to buy finally. For now, I'm also buying Gryphon by next month.

Jan 15, 2023 at 1:23 AM Post #3,262 of 3,835
When you say MQA files do you mean streaming from Tidal ?

I get that using a Fiio M11 Android DAP to stream but not when using a MacBook.

I have seen numerous comments about this and it seems the consensus is it is a Tidal app problem rather than an ifi device problem.

I don’t recall having the problem if I use coaxial out of the M11 into the Gryphon so I assume it is a result of the two way USB communication between the devices.
Thanks for the reply. I ran some troubleshooting tonight and just re-installed the latest APK of Tidal onto the KANN Max and installed the latest firmware for both the Gryphon as well as the Hip Dac 2 and seems like it's fixed.

Jan 16, 2023 at 1:04 PM Post #3,263 of 3,835
Just got the Gryphon. It's driving my Focal Clear MGs beautifully. Question: when connected via BT to my Fiio M11 or Samsung S21 - what are the recommended levels of volume? Should I go max volume on the phone/DAP? Obviously this affects the volume levels adjustment I make to the Gryphon. Thanks!

Jan 16, 2023 at 1:26 PM Post #3,264 of 3,835
Just got the Gryphon. It's driving my Focal Clear MGs beautifully. Question: when connected via BT to my Fiio M11 or Samsung S21 - what are the recommended levels of volume? Should I go max volume on the phone/DAP? Obviously this affects the volume levels adjustment I make to the Gryphon. Thanks!
Usually max level on source no matter if Bluetooth or cable connection AFAIK

Jan 16, 2023 at 1:49 PM Post #3,266 of 3,835
Usually max level on source no matter if Bluetooth or cable connection AFAIK

Totally agree. Digital volume control works by throwing away the least significant bits to make it softer so 16 bit tracks become 12 bit, etc. Not much of a concern for 24 bit tracks (or bluetooth) but certainly not bit perfect. Worst case is reducing the source volume and then increasing the amp volume...

Jan 24, 2023 at 11:03 AM Post #3,267 of 3,835
I'm looking for an over-ear headphone for portable use with my iFi Gryphon or FiiO M11 Plus. My desktop setup is HD6XX with an iFi Zen Can Signature and I'm quite happy with it. I don't feel like I get the same dynamic impact from my portable setup with the "hard to drive" 300 ohm HD6XX. I was looking at the Sennheiser HD660S as an easier to drive choice ($299 currently). Other suggestions would be appreciated. I might consider closed-backs if that is a better path. I'm not looking for exotic or super high-dollar at this point... Or, better yet, tell me it's just my imagination and the Gryphon drives the HD6XX just fine... :wink:

Jan 24, 2023 at 12:07 PM Post #3,268 of 3,835
I'm looking for an over-ear headphone for portable use with my iFi Gryphon or FiiO M11 Plus. My desktop setup is HD6XX with an iFi Zen Can Signature and I'm quite happy with it. I don't feel like I get the same dynamic impact from my portable setup with the "hard to drive" 300 ohm HD6XX. I was looking at the Sennheiser HD660S as an easier to drive choice ($299 currently). Other suggestions would be appreciated. I might consider closed-backs if that is a better path. I'm not looking for exotic or super high-dollar at this point... Or, better yet, tell me it's just my imagination and the Gryphon drives the HD6XX just fine... :wink:
On a completely different flavor of head gear, i would suggest you consider the TGXear Serratus! For the price, they are on a whole different level (check out the thread here on Head-Fi). They are also 300ohms, but i can drive them easily on my Gryphon, and even something small like the Qudelix 5K and the R3 Pro Saber. And as a plus, they will be even more portable than other over ears lol

Jan 24, 2023 at 12:21 PM Post #3,269 of 3,835
On a completely different flavor of head gear, i would suggest you consider the TGXear Serratus! For the price, they are on a whole different level (check out the thread here on Head-Fi). They are also 300ohms, but i can drive them easily on my Gryphon, and even something small like the Qudelix 5K and the R3 Pro Saber. And as a plus, they will be even more portable than other over ears lol

Thanks for replying! I'm not much into earbuds with the lack of deep bass, but I'll gladly look into your suggestion and research. I have quite a few IEMs and now that I have the Gryphon, I was looking to up my over-ear game...

Jan 24, 2023 at 12:40 PM Post #3,270 of 3,835
Thanks for replying! I'm not much into earbuds with the lack of deep bass, but I'll gladly look into your suggestion and research. I have quite a few IEMs and now that I have the Gryphon, I was looking to up my over-ear game...
Totally understand! I'm a bass head myself! That's why these buds are so amazing! They are truly unique. My preference is kind of a W with deep bass, clear forward vocals, and details in the treble when needed. The Serratus manages it all even though they're a bud lol. Definitely worth checking out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back