xDSD Gryphon: birth of a ‘head-fi’ legend
Jan 12, 2023 at 6:15 PM Post #3,241 of 3,836
I’m thinking of selling my chord mojo and a50s/d50s stack and use the gryphon as my desktop and mobile DAC. thoughts?

Jan 12, 2023 at 7:06 PM Post #3,243 of 3,836
Depends which headphone you are using. It is an amazing device, I use it a lot. It even sounded nice with a hifiman arya stealth, maybe not it’s max, but really nice nonetheless
mostly IEMs

Jan 12, 2023 at 8:12 PM Post #3,244 of 3,836
mostly IEMs

Just be aware that the Gryphon has a bit of a noise floor with more sensitive IEM, especially out of the 4.4mm, higher than the Mojo for certain, much less of a problem from the 3.5mm, about the same as the Mojo give or take.

I use the 4.4mm for everything except one IEM. I like the Gryphon but like anything it has limits, nothing is perfect it seems.

If you have sensitive IEM and don't like using IEMatch that might be a deal breaker for you.

Last edited:
Jan 12, 2023 at 11:17 PM Post #3,245 of 3,836
I’m thinking of selling my chord mojo and a50s/d50s stack and use the gryphon as my desktop and mobile DAC. thoughts?
There are certain aspects of sound that the Gryphon does better than the Mojo, mainly it has a wider soundstage, it's more extended (Mojo, I felt rolled off a bit early) and has DSP that works really good with a lot of Headphones & IEMs, not to mention that it's much more versatile with features like Bluetooth, Line Inputs and Outputs, more Power... On the other hand, the Mojo will have better stage depth with slightly better Imaging and it can present micro detail a tiny bit better. Overall, I would say that the Gryphon will be an improvement and easy recommendation for a portable setup. Even so, if you can, I recommend trying to audition the Gryphon before you make the final decision.

Using it as a Desktop replacement though, might not be the best thing to do. My primary concern would be battery life, there is no way to run the Gryphon off of an external power supply so this might impact the product's life cycle when using it for both Portable and Desktop use. In my testing, I felt that the Gryphon's Line-Output (only tried 3.5) wasn't the cleanest in comparision to other portable products like micro iDSD Signature and Mojo 2 so if you plan to use powered speakers at your desk, then the D50s (have not heard it personally) or even Mojo might provide a cleaner signal. It still sounds better than budget options like Zen DAC or E30 but most Mid-Fi Desktop DACs will sound better when comparing Line-Outputs into Speakers or Amps.

You mentioned that IEMs will be your primary pairing with Gryphon so power is not an issue but like others have mentioned before, there is some audible hiss from Gryphon's Balanced Output when using IEMs, my IEMs aren't even that sensitive and I can easily hear this noise so if you are driving very sensitive IEMs, this might be an issue. This can be completely removed using the IEMatch but I am one of few who does not like using it cause in my testing, it does something to the sound that I'm not a fan of. It's a very minor effect and depending on how bad the Hiss is with your IEM, you might not care or you might think it's a fair trade off.

I've read that some people mod the Mojo by disconnecting the battery and running it from external power or something. If you are comfortable doing that, you could keep Mojo for desktop use, Gryphon for portable use and sell the Topping stack. This way, you could even experiment with different combinations like using Mojo as DAC, Gryphon as Amp with xBass, xSpace...

Jan 13, 2023 at 6:12 PM Post #3,247 of 3,836
There are certain aspects of sound that the Gryphon does better than the Mojo, mainly it has a wider soundstage, it's more extended (Mojo, I felt rolled off a bit early) and has DSP that works really good with a lot of Headphones & IEMs, not to mention that it's much more versatile with features like Bluetooth, Line Inputs and Outputs, more Power... On the other hand, the Mojo will have better stage depth with slightly better Imaging and it can present micro detail a tiny bit better. Overall, I would say that the Gryphon will be an improvement and easy recommendation for a portable setup. Even so, if you can, I recommend trying to audition the Gryphon before you make the final decision.

Using it as a Desktop replacement though, might not be the best thing to do. My primary concern would be battery life, there is no way to run the Gryphon off of an external power supply so this might impact the product's life cycle when using it for both Portable and Desktop use. In my testing, I felt that the Gryphon's Line-Output (only tried 3.5) wasn't the cleanest in comparision to other portable products like micro iDSD Signature and Mojo 2 so if you plan to use powered speakers at your desk, then the D50s (have not heard it personally) or even Mojo might provide a cleaner signal. It still sounds better than budget options like Zen DAC or E30 but most Mid-Fi Desktop DACs will sound better when comparing Line-Outputs into Speakers or Amps.

You mentioned that IEMs will be your primary pairing with Gryphon so power is not an issue but like others have mentioned before, there is some audible hiss from Gryphon's Balanced Output when using IEMs, my IEMs aren't even that sensitive and I can easily hear this noise so if you are driving very sensitive IEMs, this might be an issue. This can be completely removed using the IEMatch but I am one of few who does not like using it cause in my testing, it does something to the sound that I'm not a fan of. It's a very minor effect and depending on how bad the Hiss is with your IEM, you might not care or you might think it's a fair trade off.

I've read that some people mod the Mojo by disconnecting the battery and running it from external power or something. If you are comfortable doing that, you could keep Mojo for desktop use, Gryphon for portable use and sell the Topping stack. This way, you could even experiment with different combinations like using Mojo as DAC, Gryphon as Amp with xBass, xSpace...
I hear that little noise as well, just a little. but the moment the music starts it’s gone and than it is heaven with my iem’s. I do notice the noise is gone enabling iematch, but that goes with a cost, staging is less nice.
So choose to keep it without iematch, the gryphon is a really nice device.

Now planing to buy the micro idsd signature, but mainly for the arya stealth I ordered. With the gryphon they sound nice, but you can hear the better control with the signature.

Jan 14, 2023 at 2:55 AM Post #3,248 of 3,836
I hear that little noise as well, just a little. but the moment the music starts it’s gone and than it is heaven with my iem’s. I do notice the noise is gone enabling iematch, but that goes with a cost, staging is less nice.
So choose to keep it without iematch, the gryphon is a really nice device.

Now planing to buy the micro idsd signature, but mainly for the arya stealth I ordered. With the gryphon they sound nice, but you can hear the better control with the signature.
Hi all,
Can somebody please let know if there is hiss while using headphones with Gryphon specially with planers like Arya stealth. My reasoning is, I'm ok to use iematch in Gryphon with IEMs or using IEMs with 3.5mm output as IEMs will have enough power from Gryphon in both the cases. But if I have to use iematch with headphones as well then I suppose it would have less power left for headphones with iematch on even with 4.4mm. Thank you.

Jan 14, 2023 at 3:13 AM Post #3,249 of 3,836
I use the Gryphon with the Thieaudio Monarch OG but I've never heard any noise, even without playing music.

Jan 14, 2023 at 12:26 PM Post #3,253 of 3,836
Hi all,
Can somebody please let know if there is hiss while using headphones with Gryphon specially with planers like Arya stealth. My reasoning is, I'm ok to use iematch in Gryphon with IEMs or using IEMs with 3.5mm output as IEMs will have enough power from Gryphon in both the cases. But if I have to use iematch with headphones as well then I suppose it would have less power left for headphones with iematch on even with 4.4mm. Thank you.

You won’t have hissing problems with the Arya or any other normal headphone.

Only moderately to more highly sensitive IEM will pick it up. A headphone would have to be insanely sensitive to hear the noise floor.

Jan 14, 2023 at 1:02 PM Post #3,255 of 3,836
Thank you. 😊
Deffinately no hissing, just a little faint noise if you listen carefully, but that is with extreme low latency like the shure se846 around 9/10 ohm. But the moment you listen music it is gone. More noticable on the 4.4 (because if the higher power). But the 4.4 does sound better than the 3.5 port. In extreme cases you could use the iematch, but I don’t even use it on the shure se846. The gryphon is a amazing device. Love the small form factor.
I do have to say though I tried the arya stealth on the gryphon, and yes it definately sounded great, seriously great! Don’t let anyone let you tell otherwise.

But connected to for example to the ifi micro idsd signature you could hear a little bit more of control on the arya as a whole (but! Not night and day, just a little better) Just little bit smoother as a whole

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back