xd 53 vs pro700 vs dn hp1000
Jul 6, 2011 at 9:45 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Parall3l

lƐllɐɹɐԀ

[size=medium]
ok, so after asking around and researching on head-fi, i've decided to (slowly) convert my library in 16/44.1 flac and have decided on the audio technica pro 700 (+ fiio e11). but then i realised that the pro700 is known to break after a few weeks of use. there is two other models of headphones which is said to be slightly modded versions of the pro700 (xd 53 & hp1000) personally, i like the way the denon dj logo looks but as far as i can tell the xd 53 is a better choice, here is a list of everything i found out about them and i hope you guys can help me pick the right one

pro700 
detachable cables
tend to break
the original version (also the cheapest?)

hp1000
apparently better bass
non detachable cables (?)

xd 53

detachable cables
partly metal (?)

how tough, is the hp1000 compared to the xd 53? if they are of equal quality then i'll buy the hp1000, thanks in advance. 
bigsmile_face.gif

[/size]

Jul 6, 2011 at 10:09 AM Post #2 of 7
I went through the exact same dilemma as you in the past.

First of all, neither of all three have detachable cables, only the PRO700MK2 does have detachable cables, but that seems to be a rather different set of headphones compared to the original PRO700 and respective official modded versions.

Unfortunately, I didn't have the chance to try the DN-HP1000 as those were actually the ones I wanted to get. There is also the matter of different plugs between each version.
In the end, I did get the A&H XD-53, which does have a metal strip through the headband, therefore giving added resistence to the headband, mainly to avoid what seems to be a frequent issue with the original PRO700.

Sound wise, I can say do note a small improvement on the XD-53 over the PRO700, but it's not a significant difference, and can be attributed to several factors, like the gear on which the headphones were plugged into.

Overall, you should mention the prices at which you can get all three headphones, as certain price differences aren't worth it.

Jul 6, 2011 at 2:03 PM Post #4 of 7
That's the thing, I've actually found the PRO700 at a higher price than their modded counterparts, which is very odd when taking in account that both modded versions are better in both build quality and sound, but that can be explained due to some wacky local store policies and pricing.

Basically, if the price difference is close to nil, then it's definitely recommended to get either XD-53 or DN-HP1000. And that's why I asked the OP what prices can he get for all three sets.

Jul 7, 2011 at 6:09 AM Post #5 of 7
WOW, u guys replie fast ! i can get all the headphones at $180 (AUD), is the pro700 mkii more durable than the original? if the mkii is just as durable to rest, i'd get the mkii for the looks. 
biggrin.gif

Jul 7, 2011 at 6:23 AM Post #6 of 7

Quote:
WOW, u guys replie fast ! i can get all the headphones at $180 (AUD), is the pro700 mkii more durable than the original? if the mkii is just as durable to rest, i'd get the mkii for the looks. 
biggrin.gif

I've heard that the MKII sounds better. Although. comfort is an infamous issue with these cans o.o

Review in my sig if you need it :)

Jul 7, 2011 at 6:50 AM Post #7 of 7

Quote:
biggrin.gif

PRO700MK2 does seem to have the previous version issues fixed, but they're more expensive, and supposed to have a different (read, improved) sound.

If you can get all three sets you wrote at the same price, then get either XD-53 or DN-HP1000, it's a no brainer. While they're no longer my main headphones, the XD-53 served me just fine, and I still use then on occasion. Though, the comfort is a bit of an issue for me, and all three headphones suffer from the same design, where my ear did touch the metal grills covering the drivers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back