XBA-C10: Sony's Colorful, Low-Priced BA
Jun 13, 2013 at 8:52 PM Post #46 of 96
Lol, that might explain why I don't own a pair :wink:

Jun 26, 2013 at 6:14 AM Post #47 of 96
I posted my video review of the XBA-C10 :)

I am going to try to get a written review up of the XBA-C10 vs the UM1 and some other single BA earphones...

Jun 26, 2013 at 3:57 PM Post #48 of 96
The video review is very good. It makes me want to buy one. I guess it may take a while though until I can find these in the US for around $30-35. It seems like they are available in Japan for around 2500 yen($26). I didn't like the way the XBA-1 sticks out so much. Some complained that the treble on the XBA-1 wasn't enough, but based on the reviews and the frequency response graph, it seems like the treble on the XBA-C10 is much better(I hope it isn't too much though like on the JVC HA-FX40 and Meelectronics CW31). I am a bit treble sensitive, so with some music I might need to cut the treble with the equalizer when using those.

Jun 26, 2013 at 6:02 PM Post #50 of 96
I see the XBA-C10IP on the Sony website, but don't see the regular XBA-C10. The IP one is with the mic/controller, which I don't want. Buying from Sony directly  is also usually too expensive.

Jun 26, 2013 at 7:26 PM Post #51 of 96
I think at a price up to about $35 - $40 these are great. I wouldn't pay more than that though. The whole reason I like them is that they are at a price where if they break it won't be a sob story. 

I suspect that once the XBA-1 clears retail channels and the XBA-10 is introduced, the XBA-C10 will get cheaper outside of Japan.

The Japanese price is great and if you were to buy a bunch for Christmas presents it would work out well.

Jun 26, 2013 at 7:40 PM Post #52 of 96
I wonder how the XBA-C10 compares to dynamic IEMs such as the JVC HA-FX40 and Panasonic RP-HJE355. These have plenty of detail, and are under $20. The Panasonic RP-HJE450 has less detail than the HJE355 but more bass impact, and is only around $23.Unless the XBA-C10  is that much better, it may not be worth double the price of these. The JVC HA-FX40 has amazing detail for just $15 on Amazon. Imo those would make great cheap gifts. You just need to warn people that it needs plenty of burn in.

Jun 26, 2013 at 7:44 PM Post #53 of 96
I'm sure there are similarly priced dynamic drivers that are bassier than the C10 and it would be nice to compare. I really like the C10 because it is extremely lightweight and has a very stable and comfortable fit, and the build quality is actually quite good for a budget earphone. It's a nice, practical design. For a similar amount of money I'm sure that the JVC FXD60 would eat it for lunch in terms of sound. The FXD80 certainly does.

Jun 26, 2013 at 8:03 PM Post #54 of 96
The HA-FXD60 and HA-FXD80 are microdriver IEMs though. I have trouble fitting microdriver IEMs. I already have 2 JVC microdriver IEMs and they are very uncomfortable. How do these two differ? Are there any other carbon nanotube JVC earphones besides these and the HA-FX40?

Jun 26, 2013 at 8:54 PM Post #55 of 96
Quote:
The HA-FXD60 and HA-FXD80 are microdriver IEMs though. I have trouble fitting microdriver IEMs. I already have 2 JVC microdriver IEMs and they are very uncomfortable. How do these two differ? Are there any other carbon nanotube JVC earphones besides these and the HA-FX40?

Oh, the FXD80 is not super comfortable. The nozzle is quite wide. The Audio Technica CKN70 is carbon nanotube and quite comfortable because of the earloop, but the cable is terrible and the sound is a little raw.

Other microdrivers that are comfortable include the Shure SE215, Westone ADV and (I'd assume) the Sennheiser IE800...

The XBA-C10 is more comfortable than most of these and is also less fiddly to fit :3

Oct 22, 2013 at 4:13 AM Post #57 of 96
  I'm sure there are similarly priced dynamic drivers that are bassier than the C10 and it would be nice to compare. I really like the C10 because it is extremely lightweight and has a very stable and comfortable fit, and the build quality is actually quite good for a budget earphone. It's a nice, practical design. For a similar amount of money I'm sure that the JVC FXD60 would eat it for lunch in terms of sound. The FXD80 certainly does.

Do you know of any good places to get these (online?) at the moment?

Nov 4, 2013 at 10:37 PM Post #59 of 96
Just found out about these, not much info out there. They did get favorite IEM under $100 here, although they focused on ones with phone remotes, but did compare many of them.

Is it true that you can't wear them over the ears (even if you reverse L/R)? Kind of a deal-breaker there since microphonics becomes a big issue.

I am very curious how they compare to more expensive, highly regarded armature 'phones like Meelec A161. My set of those just died and I'm in the market for new ones, and these Sony's seem like they might be good for everyday commuting (unless I can't wear them over the ear).

Nov 5, 2013 at 3:49 AM Post #60 of 96
  Just found out about these, not much info out there. They did get favorite IEM under $100 here, although they focused on ones with phone remotes, but did compare many of them.

Is it true that you can't wear them over the ears (even if you reverse L/R)? Kind of a deal-breaker there since microphonics becomes a big issue.

I am very curious how they compare to more expensive, highly regarded armature 'phones like Meelec A161. My set of those just died and I'm in the market for new ones, and these Sony's seem like they might be good for everyday commuting (unless I can't wear them over the ear).

YMMV, but I had no trouble wearing them over-ear. The 'loop' on the housing is just small enough for my ears to not cause any discomfort, or limit insertion depth.

I've never listened to the A161, but I just had these arrive in the mail alongside a pair of XBA-40s. - A few notes after test through my Samsung Fascinate: While it lacks the low-end punch its cousin has, it played along nicely with all the of music I threw at it - and responds well to EQ if you are willing/able to do so. I don't know how the C10 compares to other in-ears in this price range, but it certainly exceeded my expectations.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back