XBA-C10: Sony's Colorful, Low-Priced BA
Nov 7, 2013 at 2:12 PM Post #61 of 96
Bumping just in case anyone else has any comments on these (especially compared to the Meelectronics A161 or Soundmagic PL50).  (joker??
smile.gif
)

Thought there would have been more info/thoughts on these by now since they seem to be a good value based on reviews.

Dec 2, 2013 at 6:33 PM Post #63 of 96
Slight bump!

I have been looking at these for a while now. And since i´m back on the shopping spree from some months off, im starting to fill up my IEM collection. 

I have the XBA-1ip which i am not that impressed by to be honest. It feels "almost" like a good IEM but it falls short in clarity for me. The bass is tight and the articulation with voices and instruments is very good, bass is tight and fast. But the overall sound sound murky and held back in a way.

Since i stumbled upon these again on Amazon i kind of had to buy them to get the "want" out of my head. Enough said i picked them up today. I´m just a couple of hours in to the listening session so no full review for a while. The fit and build quality is way better then the xba-1ip, that´s the first thing that struck me. Second is the added clarity, they keep the tight and well articulate sound as the XBA-1 but feels a little less held back in the upper freq-range. Since they are straight out of the box i will let them burn over night. Placebo or not, i have always found that burn can do wonders ( for my brain/ears at least )

Dec 10, 2013 at 4:53 PM Post #65 of 96
Seems like not many people have these, but anyway FYI I've found that by putting the earpieces in the opposite ear as marked allows a good over-the-ear fit since the loop things then face the same direction as intended. I actually get a better seal this way than hanging down in the as-marked ears (which as mentioned leads to microphonic issues).

Also, with the A161s I used the largest tip since you can push them in as far as you want, but with my ears I have a much better fit with the second-largest ("medium") on these. The loop thing sets a limit with how far you can push them in, which actually makes the smaller tip fit perfectly for me. With a good seal there is a nice amount of outside noise blockage.

Good things about these 'phones are the tips fit on nice and tightly, and the jack is also a little oversized so you have to push it in a little harder than usual, so it is hard to pull out accidentally.

Dec 13, 2013 at 10:20 AM Post #66 of 96
Does anyone know what the warranty is on these, for when they inevitably break? The documentation is in Japanese and I don't see it in the barebones English "manual" on one of the Sony websites that have these.

Dec 13, 2013 at 10:29 AM Post #67 of 96
  Does anyone know what the warranty is on these, for when they inevitably break? The documentation is in Japanese and I don't see it in the barebones English "manual" on one of the Sony websites that have these.

Here is the US warranty terms and instructions document.
Taken from the XBA-C10ip page : Here

Feb 20, 2014 at 8:35 PM Post #72 of 96
sorry for necroing the thread, anyone tried opening up their C10 for recabling? I can't seem to open mine. when i try to pry it open, brute force or not, the glossy paint just chips and wont move.

Mar 18, 2014 at 4:24 PM Post #73 of 96
  sorry for necroing the thread, anyone tried opening up their C10 for recabling? I can't seem to open mine. when i try to pry it open, brute force or not, the glossy paint just chips and wont move.

Did the cables break? If so, how long have you had them? They seem pretty sturdy to me. Again, I really like these. Great noise blockage, great non-bloated sound for the price.

Jun 1, 2014 at 7:07 AM Post #74 of 96
Bump to say that I finally purchased a pair of C10s, and I'm very impressed, albeit with a twist.

The advantage of the C10s is that drawbacks are few, there's no bloat or inaccuracy or issues like strange vocal placement. Therefore if you are willing to EQ the hell out of it, it's not held back by those faults, and becomes something that could (to me) transcend its price tag. Not only do you bump the highest bands for clarity (in poweramp, both 8K and 16K), you can also bump the lower bands for better bass.

I was deciding between 2 IEMs: the XBA-3 for $140 and XBA-C10 for $30, they were both on sale. I personally prefer a pair of post-EQ C10s over the 3 or 30, both of which I had to EQ anyway during audition. This is not a comment on the absolute quality difference between them, but rather achieving what I want and paying far less. Yeah, 20 years of headphone shopping has impoverished me and jaded me so even $140 is a lot tyvm. I appreciate what the C10 brings to the table for $30, I mean can you imagine the IM01 becoming this cheap?
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back