X5 II / X3 II: digital coaxial output and DSD
Jul 13, 2016 at 4:08 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

JaZZ

Headphoneus Supremus
I tried to download an up-to-date X5 II user manual from the official link on FiiiO's website. Unfortunately it doesn't work. An older user manual I found on the net sais nothing about DSD playback via an external DAC. But since there's a DoP setting for the coaxial output, it should work with DSD (.dsf, .dff) ...or so I thought.

But it does not. None of my FiiO players – X3 II, X5, X5 II – plays DSD recordings through the S/PDIF output. As soon as a cable is plugged into it, the display shows «File not supported».

Am I missing something or doing something wrong? Actually I don't care for DSD (one of the reasons being the disabled equalizer), but I'd like to know the reason for the discrepancy.

(Latest firmware with all players)

Jul 18, 2016 at 4:05 PM Post #2 of 7
@FiiO-Shadow

Could you please comment on the issue(s)?

Jul 19, 2016 at 12:02 AM Post #3 of 7
  I tried to download an up-to-date X5 II user manual from the official link on FiiiO's website. Unfortunately it doesn't work. An older user manual I found on the net sais nothing about DSD playback via an external DAC. But since there's a DoP setting for the coaxial output, it should work with DSD (.dsf, .dff) ...or so I thought.

But it does not. None of my FiiO players – X3 II, X5, X5 II – plays DSD recordings through the S/PDIF output. As soon as a cable is plugged into it, the display shows «File not supported».

Am I missing something or doing something wrong? Actually I don't care for DSD (one of the reasons being the disabled equalizer), but I'd like to know the reason for the discrepancy.

Hi, JaZZ.

Sorry for the lat reply. 

I think, the DSD files you are playing are DSD128(5.6MHz/1bit), right?
If playing the DSD64, the X3II/X5II can work normally when a coaxial cable is plugged into "LINE/COAX OUT" port when selecting Coax out.

Kindly be noted that, the DSD 128 files(.dsf, .dff, .iso) can be played only when headphones are plugged into X3II/X5II's headphone out port OR the audio cable is connected with the Lineout.

If there are not headphones plugged in, or a coaxial cable is plugged into, even or both the headphones and coaxial cable are connected with the players(the coaixal output has the priority comparing to the headphone output ), then yes, it will  show "File not supported".
 Actually, we also tried to fix it, but it is not easy to be solved. 

Jul 19, 2016 at 4:17 PM Post #4 of 7
Maybe the DSD files would play digitally in D2P mode instead of DoP mode?

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Jul 20, 2016 at 8:27 AM Post #5 of 7

Hi, JaZZ.

Sorry for the lat reply. 

I think, the DSD files you are playing are DSD128(5.6MHz/1bit), right?
If playing the DSD64, the X3II/X5II can work normally when a coaxial cable is plugged into "LINE/COAX OUT" port when selecting Coax out.

Kindly be noted that, the DSD 128 files(.dsf, .dff, .iso) can be played only when headphones are plugged into X3II/X5II's headphone out port OR the audio cable is connected with the Lineout.

If there are not headphones plugged in, or a coaxial cable is plugged into, even or both the headphones and coaxial cable are connected with the players(the coaixal output has the priority comparing to the headphone output ), then yes, it will  show "File not supported".
 Actually, we also tried to fix it, but it is not easy to be solved. 

Thanks, Shadow! Yes, they were all DSD128 – I don't own DSD64 files for testing. Have you noticed the broken link to the user manual?

Maybe the DSD files would play digitally in D2P mode instead of DoP mode?

Hi Joe. No, that doesn't work either. Still «File not supported».

Jul 20, 2016 at 8:34 AM Post #6 of 7
That link opens fine from here though...

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Jul 20, 2016 at 3:19 PM Post #7 of 7
That link opens fine from here though...

Not for me...

The circle keeps rotating forever. – But that's with Firefox. It does work with IE11, though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back