X5 and iPod G5 audio quality comparison
Dec 29, 2005 at 4:53 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 72

immtbiker

The first to organize an (Inter)National Head-Fi Meet (2006)
30 gigs. Still trying to figure it out. It boasts a 35 hour playback time. I am tired of my "12 hour" Ipod lasting 1 1/2 hours and dying after 3 days of non-use. Same thing with my Zen Micro 5G.

The screen is drop dead gorgeous.

Any hints from other owners? The instructions are a little vague for us people with engineering degrees.
confused.gif

Dec 29, 2005 at 5:02 AM Post #2 of 72
Congrats on your new baby! I received my X5 on the 15th, so I can understand what you're talking about. It's really simple to use - drag n drop. If your library is larger than your X5L, there's a sweet and very simple software that was made to make syncing your player super easy. Pictures can be uploaded pretty easily too, and any jpeg you upload can be used as your player's wallpaper. You can also change the video that's played when you start your player too....

For all detailed info, you may want to check out iAudio's X5 forum:

http://iaudiophile.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=28

Dec 29, 2005 at 8:14 AM Post #6 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by GuffMorgan
Longer battery life (by what, 20 hours or so?), the X5L is supposed to get 35 hours.

And it's thicker then the normal 30gig, because it has 2 batteries.

Dec 29, 2005 at 5:56 PM Post #7 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by immtbiker
Any hints from other owners? The instructions are a little vague for us people with engineering degrees.
confused.gif

More than any other DAP I have owned, my X5L just worked out of the box and I never had to tweak a thing, worry about firmwares, or read the manual at all. This thing seems to just work with minimal issue or "tricks" that you pick up off of forums. I changed the startup animation, but that was for fun, I obviously didn't have to.

The only issue I can think of is the lineout. It sounds inferior to me and I am reluctant to move the device while using the subpack anyways. It's too flimsy for any kind of portable use. Therefore, I use the head-out to an amp and I have been pleasantly surprised with the results. If you use lineout, I encourage you to make that comparison and decide for yourself.

The iaudiphile forums seem to be the best iAudio forum on the internet (that I've found). Either way, there's not much to learn...so enjoy.

Dec 30, 2005 at 7:36 PM Post #8 of 72
I have read most of the posts in the forum and followed some advice, but I still can't get the line-in recording feature to work properly.

I am converting vinyl into 320 kbps .mp3 files using a 1 second autosynch and still can't get the DAP to make a separate mp3 for each track.

It just makes one long 18 minute (or whatever the album side is) mp3. One member on the Cowen forum had said it only worked for him if he changed the line-in volume to 2 (default was 8 and clipping at the top of the spectrum), but that still doesn't work for me. I guess he figured that surface noise was causing the unit to think the track was still playing.
It's silly to have to stand by the player and stop and start the X5L for each track.

Anyone else have this problem?

Also, putting the DAP in my laptop bag makes the joystick vulnerable and all the available cases don't seem to have a remedy for this problem.

Dec 30, 2005 at 8:17 PM Post #9 of 72
Quote:

I have read most of the posts in the forum and followed some advice, but I still can't get the line-in recording feature to work properly.

I am converting vinyl into 320 kbps .mp3 files using a 1 second autosynch and still can't get the DAP to make a separate mp3 for each track.

It just makes one long 18 minute (or whatever the album side is) mp3. One member on the Cowen forum had said it only worked for him if he changed the line-in volume to 2 (default was 8 and clipping at the top of the spectrum), but that still doesn't work for me. I guess he figured that surface noise was causing the unit to think the track was still playing.
It's silly to have to stand by the player and stop and start the X5L for each track.

Also, putting the DAP in my laptop bag makes the joystick vulnerable and all the available cases don't seem to have a remedy for this problem.

The vinyl "priblem" doesn't surprise me since there is surface noise. Best thing you can do is record in wav, split up the tracks in cd wav and then mp3 them. I had the same "issue" with my njb3, there's no way around it.

Dec 30, 2005 at 9:01 PM Post #10 of 72
The subpack is a little of an issue for me too with the line-out as well.

There's a guy on the iaudio forums who's making some cables that allow you to completely bypass the subpack and cradle. He's making some for me and I'm hoping to get them in the next two weeks. He was waiting for Cowon to ship the AC adaptors.

The headphone out is very decent but I also use the line-out for my amps. I was using my Porta Corda Mk I for awhile and while I was happy with the quality, I wanted to see how my SuperMacro 1.0 would compare. The soundstage was much better and the music seemed warmer to me personally so that's what I'm using until my 3.0 comes in. I've been pretty exclusive with my super.fi 5 pros on the X5 and I'm pretty happy with the combo, however it works well with my HD580s and SR225's. I haven't tried them with my DT770/80's yet; maybe today. Anyway, this should last me for a few months. On a tangent, I don't know what I want to get next. I'm thinking of the K701's (but I'll need a home amp for those, and a new deck, and a new wallet, etc etc etc), but I'd like to upgrade the super.fi's - I can really see myself getting some e5c's or maybe some ue-10's too). Anyway, I'm getting off track.

I'm also very frustrated with the limited number of cases for the X5/X5L too. Noreve has some decent ones, and zCover too, but that's about it. Misticaudio was supposed to have had some, but their webpage is down so I don't know. Then there's cowon's own case, and that surprisingly substandard. I'd love to get a type of MicroStrap for my SM/X5 rig, or a Vaja case (i know they're a little pricey, but i think they look so slick), or anything else that's exclusive for the X5. I think I'll just resort to a camera bag and one of those livestrong bracelets for my $1000 rig
rolleyes.gif

Dec 30, 2005 at 9:47 PM Post #11 of 72
Sant, do you know if that custom cable will fix the bass roll-off issues with the line out? If you dont, it would be great if you could let me know when you receive it. I would be very interested in that cable myself!

Dec 30, 2005 at 10:09 PM Post #12 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by gloco
Best thing you can do is record in wav, split up the tracks in cd wav and then mp3 them.

How do I record in wav? Or are you talking about using a sound card and skipping the IAudio in the process?

sant430 - The Zcover looks like the nicest, but it doesn't seem to protect the joystick. The Misticaudio case seems boring and uninspired. The guy uses his own username (misticaudio) on the forum, and if you really wanted one, he leaves his personal info in one of his posts, in the Cases/Covers forum.

Dec 31, 2005 at 2:36 AM Post #14 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bobs
Sant, do you know if that custom cable will fix the bass roll-off issues with the line out? If you dont, it would be great if you could let me know when you receive it. I would be very interested in that cable myself!

If you think about it...the line out is a line level signal with a small amount of voltage output (something like 1.5 volts). On a small unit such as a portable, the headphone out is probably pretty close, created by an RC circuit. If you put the volume at, let's say 75%, it's probably the equivalent to the line out. On a home CDP, the line out (RCA's)would be something more like 4.5 volts single ended and up to 6 volts balanced, so it would make a considerable difference.

People are reporting that the headphone out of the X5, into a headphone amp, sounds better than the line out (to which I agree). So if that's the case then a new subpack or dock isn't really necessary. You could just use the headphone out. IMO

Dec 31, 2005 at 2:46 AM Post #15 of 72
Quote:

I'd suggest recording on the PC. The autosynch on the X5 is none too reliable. Also, I'm not sure if you've noticed it but the line in seems to have similar issues to the line out via the subpack. I've never been able to get anywhere near satisfactory recordings (in comparison to Hi-MD or even the iRivers) with the X5.

I used* the Noreve Tradition leather case, the front panel for which floats above the joystick.

norevex5-2.jpg

*Now officially in the past as I've sold it, woohoo. I might replace it in my 'UMS HDD player slot' with an H320 again seeing as there seem to be no other alternatives...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back