X-Fi Titanium vs X-Fi Forte (For optical)
Jul 21, 2010 at 7:57 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Aynjell

Headphoneus Supremus
Hello everybody. Right now I'm considering an audio system upgrade. What I'm trying to figure  out is: is there any point in upgrading to the Forte if my intention is to plug it into a little dot dac I? I realize that by moving to the forte I gain the extra digital output, but that may result in the same issue I experience now, a ground loop (since there is a ground channel).

Jul 21, 2010 at 8:01 PM Post #2 of 5
IIRC, the Forte has transformer coupling which is considered the a prefer ed way to go for S/pdif outputs.  I don't think the CL X-fi has one...

If you are worried about having a ground loop issue, can you move to optical?  Have you tried putting all devices on the same power strip?

Jul 21, 2010 at 8:20 PM Post #3 of 5
It doesn't help. Only thing that fixes it is a ground lift. What I'm curious about is just whether or not the Forte has a better implementation of the optical output or not. So you're saying it does?

Jul 21, 2010 at 8:27 PM Post #4 of 5
Based on what I have seen...  The Forte has transformer coupling on the S/Pdif output.  That is the preferred design method and I am pretty sure the CL X-fi does not.  Might be wrong about that.

Jul 21, 2010 at 8:38 PM Post #5 of 5
I'm curious if anybody has listened between the two and heard a difference. I have no doubt that the analog output is better, but would like to know if there's any difference that can be heard between the two using optical output. I appreciate your input robscix since I know you've reviewed some of this gear. You wouldn't by chance have an optical dac and both cards handy, would you?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back