X-Fi Elite Pro w/ EMU 0404 - Questions!
Jan 17, 2008 at 3:18 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

s1rrah

Headphoneus Supremus
Hi ...

Will the X-fi Elite Pro's optical out (flexi-jack) work okay as a digital out to the EMU 0404? I've never used it and thought there may be some questions around the flexi-jack effectivness but can't put my finger on where I read it.

I'm wanting to trash the breakout box that came with the Elite Pro and use the EMU 0404 as a standalone DAC fed by the optical out flexi-jack of the Elite Pro PCI card. I'll then be running out of the 0404 to the analogue in of my headphone amp.

Any problems with that config?

If it's an okay configuration, could somebody give me some info on the types of cables I'd need to pick up from Fry's to make it work?

(BTW ... I'm going with the 0404 because I also have a huge need for it's various XLR inputs and what not for random and regular music recording I do)

Thanks

Jan 17, 2008 at 3:35 PM Post #2 of 9
config seems ok for output

any reason you don't want to use the 0404's through its USB?

if you need XLR in, you're going to have to get another way to input back into the x-fi, which sort of defeats the purpose of this all

in summary, use the 0404 through its USB

edit: but the cables you'd need to hookup the 0404 USB to your headphone amp, assuming the amp uses RCA inputs is 2x mono 1/4" TRS > RCA cables, or use regular RCA > RCA interconnects combined with 2 x mono 1/4 TRS to RCA adaptors

Jan 17, 2008 at 4:19 PM Post #3 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by d-cee /img/forum/go_quote.gif
config seems ok for output

any reason you don't want to use the 0404's through its USB?

if you need XLR in, you're going to have to get another way to input back into the x-fi, which sort of defeats the purpose of this all

in summary, use the 0404 through its USB

edit: but the cables you'd need to hookup the 0404 USB to your headphone amp, assuming the amp uses RCA inputs is 2x mono 1/4" TRS > RCA cables, or use regular RCA > RCA interconnects combined with 2 x mono 1/4 TRS to RCA adaptors

Well I want to use the X-fi for Gaming and Movies and the 0404 for listening to .WAVS/MP3's ...

Seeing as my main goal is getting an unamped line out from my computer to my headphone amp (which has 1/4" miniplug input BTW), and since the X-fi running is bitmatched mode supplies a good quality signal, I figured I'd forgo all the hassle of having to switch sound sources in the various windows interfaces by just keeping everything set to the X-fi and running out of it's optical to the 0404.

When recording, I'd run USB in through the 0404 and update my input sources to point to the 0404 as my recording device.

Jan 17, 2008 at 9:03 PM Post #4 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by s1rrah /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi ...

Will the X-fi Elite Pro's optical out (flexi-jack) work okay as a digital out to the EMU 0404? I've never used it and thought there may be some questions around the flexi-jack effectivness but can't put my finger on where I read it.

It's not optical...it's coax. And as such it works well.

Jan 17, 2008 at 9:12 PM Post #5 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by maarek99 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's not optical...it's coax. And as such it works well.

Thanks for the clarification ...

So if I wanted to run from the COAX flexi jack to the inputs on an EMU 0404, what sort of cable do I need to pick up at Fry's?

Or else, if Fry's wouldn't have it ... what should I order online?

Thanks.

Jan 17, 2008 at 9:20 PM Post #6 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by s1rrah /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for the clarification ...

So if I wanted to run from the COAX flexi jack to the inputs on an EMU 0404, what sort of cable do I need to pick up at Fry's?

Or else, if Fry's wouldn't have it ... what should I order online?

Thanks.

I own a minijack -> RCA coaxial digital IC from RAM Electronics and I've been quite happy with it. Outstanding build quality.

RAM Electronics - Audio Video Home theater and Computer cables

Jan 17, 2008 at 9:35 PM Post #7 of 9
I don't know about you guys, but using the EMU-0404 for games and especially with movies is IMO very pleasing. I even threw my Soundblaster Live! out of my new pc into some random hardware box lying around, since i was only using it for some crappy speakers, and onboard will do speakers just fine. (oh, and my mic is plugged in the onboard)

EAX is more trouble then it is worth, and after more and more hours without EAX I can say, I really do not mis it.

Jan 17, 2008 at 10:48 PM Post #8 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sir Nobax /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't know about you guys, but using the EMU-0404 for games and especially with movies is IMO very pleasing.

Well I disagree. The emu0404 takes too much processing power to be a gaming soundcard. X-fi all the way.

Jan 17, 2008 at 11:26 PM Post #9 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by maarek99 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well I disagree. The emu0404 takes too much processing power to be a gaming soundcard.

Is that a joke?

With current systems this is [size=medium]TOTALLY[/size] irrelevant. If games like Crysis doesn't even use 40% of my Q6600 at the highest peaks, software 3D sound is not a priority at all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back