X-Fi Elite Pro Amp Query
Aug 5, 2010 at 4:26 PM Post #16 of 37

Quote:
The weakest point in the chain is always the headphones

yeah right

, dac/amp are generally already transparent.

Have you ever wondered why amps cost so much if they are useless

50 ohm is most definitely NOT high impedance.

I said for this amp, not in general

, what in the world makes you think it's hard to power headphones? 

By trying a variety of headphones in a variety of amps to compare the difference and find out where I need to put my money to get the best effect, so in short, original research. Plug a pair of grado s125 (a very easy to drive headphone) into the Elite, it sounds like crap, put a headphone amp in between it sounds great. I assume you can understand why I came to my conclusion?!

Have you used the elite pro?

Aug 5, 2010 at 4:42 PM Post #17 of 37

Quote:
The weakest point in the chain is always the headphones, dac/amp are generally already transparent. 50 ohm is most definitely NOT high impedance. Most headphones, including high impedance ones, get by with a $25 cmoy, what in the world makes you think it's hard to power headphones? They require tiny voltage and hardly any current.

I'd like to see you properly drive a pair of K701s (62 ohms) with only a CMOY to sound good.

Aug 5, 2010 at 5:56 PM Post #18 of 37
K701's don't require much power, lol. You people and your audio faith.

@Rob: False. DACs/amps are 99.9% accurate. While endpoints tend to have a lot of distortion and weird response curves. Sorry, but no, dacs and amps are pretty irrelevant until some day in the future when endpoints are on the same accuracy level.

Aug 5, 2010 at 7:19 PM Post #20 of 37

Quote:
K701's don't require much power, lol. You people and your audio faith.

@Rob: False. DACs/amps are 99.9% accurate. While endpoints tend to have a lot of distortion and weird response curves. Sorry, but no, dacs and amps are pretty irrelevant until some day in the future when endpoints are on the same accuracy level.

...and that would be based on.... the DAC and amps you have NOT tested?

Aug 5, 2010 at 9:26 PM Post #22 of 37
Really because it sounds like you are speaking for zero experience.
According to you a person can run a garbage onboard like a ALC889 connect up with a $1 cable to a $20 amp and have the best sound out there!
That is utter BS suggested by a person with no experience beyond what they currently have.

You go out and read information possibly misunderstand most of it...consider it gospel truth.  You come here jump on your soapbox and start preaching to everybody.  It seems like you're the person around here with the audio faith and wishful thinking...wouldn't you say?

Aug 5, 2010 at 10:07 PM Post #23 of 37

Quote:
Really because it sounds like you are speaking for zero experience.
According to you a person can run a garbage onboard like a ALC889 connect up with a $1 cable to a $20 amp and have the best sound out there!
That is utter BS suggested by a person with no experience beyond what they currently have.

You go out and read information possibly misunderstand most of it...consider it gospel truth.  You come here jump on your soapbox and start preaching to everybody.  It seems like you're the person around here with the audio faith and wishful thinking...wouldn't you say?

x2, gonna call out this bull.

Aug 5, 2010 at 10:34 PM Post #24 of 37
The cable's cost is irrelevant, because copper is copper and the exotic cable designs are marketing B.S.

Onboard isn't exactly awesome, but there's really not much difference. The difference is relative to improvements seen in RMAA results - quite small. Yes, I think I hear a difference on certain tracks, but it's quite tiny and only noticeable in a direct comparison. And may very well be placebo, I have no way to blind test.

$270 dac sounded exactly the same as Essence. It measured worse, used crappy opamps, and yet was the same.

A cheap $20 amp may add some coloration of the response or distortion, yes, but there is certainly no logical reason in spending $100+ on something that puts out almost no power. Hell, transparent speaker amps cost $200 tops. Why should something that uses such insignificant power cost so much? Why should it cost as much as something that'll actually put a dent in your power meter. It's because you've been brainwashed by audio religion of course!

No experience? Essence STX was highly praised on Stereophile. It measures quite well in RMAA. Comparing it to everything else I've access to is more than enough.
After a $80ish sound card any differences are neglibible, you'd do better worrying about your endpoint.

Now quit trolling me you baddies.

Aug 5, 2010 at 10:50 PM Post #25 of 37

Quote:
Dalamar said:

The cable's cost is irrelevant, because copper is copper and the exotic cable designs are marketing B.S.

Onboard isn't exactly awesome, but there's really not much difference. The difference is relative to improvements seen in RMAA results - quite small. Yes, I think I hear a difference on certain tracks, but it's quite tiny and only noticeable in a direct comparison. And may very well be placebo, I have no way to blind test.

$270 dac sounded exactly the same as Essence. It measured worse, used crappy opamps, and yet was the same.

A cheap $20 amp may add some coloration of the response or distortion, yes, but there is certainly no logical reason in spending $100+ on something that puts out almost no power. Hell, transparent speaker amps cost $200 tops. Why should something that uses such insignificant power cost so much? Why should it cost as much as something that'll actually put a dent in your power meter. It's because you've been brainwashed by audio religion of course!

No experience? Essence STX was highly praised on Stereophile. It measures quite well in RMAA. Comparing it to everything else I've access to is more than enough.
After a $80ish sound card any differences are neglibible, you'd do better worrying about your endpoint.

Now quit trolling me you baddies.

LOL...
So yes,
we can use a cheap onboard  because according to you there is really not much difference connect up a garbage $1 cable  because according to you "copper is copper" and we can use a $20 amp because it is the same as a $100 amp.-amps are amps right? 
You add all this together and according to you this is the best sounding system you are ever going to get?

You cannot be serious. 

Yes you have no experience, meaning you have tested very little.  No different sources, different amps, different cables...etc.
So the STX measured well in stereophile what does that have to do with you? 
Comparing RMAA measurements isn't the same as actually sitting down, testing and listening to different components....give it up.

Aug 6, 2010 at 1:08 AM Post #26 of 37
You just tell yourself that, carry on wasting money etc. You're proof of why audio is a religion.
Measurements are the truth, and like all religious, you're blind to it.

Aug 6, 2010 at 1:36 AM Post #27 of 37

like all religious, you're blind

Are you here to save us Mr Cole?
images

Aug 6, 2010 at 9:18 AM Post #28 of 37

Quote:
You just tell yourself that, carry on wasting money etc. You're proof of why audio is a religion.
Measurements are the truth, and like all religious, you're blind to it.

Actually, You can tell yourself that.  I am just quoting what you said.  Sounds a little weird when said back doesn't it?

Like most here we have done the listening tests.  Most here will trust that over your misinterpreted crap information.
I have no problem with measurements but I also know how to interpret them and use them with other tests.  Which you do not.  There are many DAC chips out there that have amazing measurements yet the chip sounds cold, sterile...and just sounds BAD..etc.  that is a simple example and one of many gleened from actual testing.
You might now that if you had some experience beyond trying to figure out what a device sound like with your eyes....try using your ears.  This is audio audition, NOT art class.

As for audio "religion" It would seem you are the one going around quoting mis-understood audio "scripture" and wagging your finger at people from your pulpit...considering you haven't tested anything beyond what you have..You are working on FAITH and BELIEF.

Father Dalamar, perhaps it is time to revise your sermons before you return to the "unbelievers", wouldn't you say?
Now, go bother somebody else.  I have some listening tests to do...  Enjoy your measurements. -let me know how they sound or look or whatever.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back