x can v8 appreciation thread
Jan 22, 2011 at 1:12 PM Post #407 of 441
@orkney
Just out of curiousity I'd like to know what stock tubes were inside your V8(P)? I think there might be some variety here. Mine had Electro Harmonix 6922EH.

Jan 22, 2011 at 3:36 PM Post #408 of 441

Quote:
@orkney
Just out of curiousity I'd like to know what stock tubes were inside your V8(P)? I think there might be some variety here. Mine had Electro Harmonix 6922EH.

Stock were the JAN-Philips 6922 -- good-sounding and very quiet. I've got Miniwatt SQs in there now, beautiful sound.

o

Jan 25, 2011 at 10:33 AM Post #409 of 441
I have recently switched from AKG K701 to Senn 600 with my V8P.  I think the Senns fit my musical preference better than the 701s and I am enjoying listening.

Wondering what to do next.  Should I try some different tubes or move towards a Little Pinky, or both?

OR should I work on a better DAC?  Much of my source material is 24/96 FLAC files from my MacBook Pro so I have been using a simple line-out as opposed to the USB DAC of the V8 as it only supports up to 48 kHz sample rates.  I do have an old Denon DVD-5000 with quite a nice DAC which I can go optical out from laptop to Denon then analog to V8P.  Only problem is the Denon is huge and weighs a ton.

Thoughts?

Jan 15, 2012 at 10:28 AM Post #410 of 441
Hi guys I've just bought a used V8P and am running a LCD2 off it, early impressions are that it gives an excellent separation of instruments, and a clear and detailed sound. Both airy and involving at the same time. Vocals have a tinge of lushness but is not overly warm. Adele's Someone like You is a particular treat for the ears. The amp came with Gold Lion E88CC tubes, and from what I hear seems to be pretty good; however I have not tried rolling other tubes. Any suggestions on tubes I could try out? 

Jan 23, 2012 at 2:19 AM Post #412 of 441

Quote:
Will someone please tell me where the **** I can purchase the X-Can V8?!

Audiogon, eBay, here on Head-Fi. It's no longer in production so you'll have to wait for used units. There is no direct replacement on MF's product line-up; the V-Can is closer to the price of the first X-Can and the M1 HPA is considerably more expensive than the V8. Also, both of these are solid state. The M1 HPA however has features similar to the V8 - a preamp output and a USB DAC.

Jan 23, 2012 at 10:23 PM Post #413 of 441

Quote:

Audiogon, eBay, here on Head-Fi. It's no longer in production so you'll have to wait for used units. There is no direct replacement on MF's product line-up; the V-Can is closer to the price of the first X-Can and the M1 HPA is considerably more expensive than the V8. Also, both of these are solid state. The M1 HPA however has features similar to the V8 - a preamp output and a USB DAC.

No such luck on any of those websites, including this one. I WANT ONE!!

GRRRRRR

Dec 19, 2012 at 4:14 AM Post #415 of 441
Any experiences with the hifiman he-500 and this amp? I think it might be a good match, going to try some time.

Mar 27, 2013 at 10:54 PM Post #417 of 441
Quote:
I have the chance to buy an X-CAN V8p for a good price and I was wondering if it was worth buying to pair with my HD650's? 

It has been a while since I heard the HD650 but I feel it might not be the best combination because both the amplifier and the headphones have a similar character in some respects. I think the XCan V8 would be more suited to more neutral headphones such as HD600 or even brighter, clearer sounding ones like Grado, etc. That said, maybe a tube like Telefunken might make for a more balanced combination with the HD650, but that would mean acquiring the XCan V8 at a sufficiently cheap price to facilitate tube rolling experimentation. I don't think it needs to be said that tube rolling can get quite expensive.

Apr 9, 2013 at 10:18 AM Post #418 of 441
Quote:
I have the chance to buy an X-CAN V8p for a good price and I was wondering if it was worth buying to pair with my HD650's? 

Excellent! Ilove the HD 650 and the X-Can v8, a match made in heaven. Sold my X-Can v8 and regretting ever day.

Oct 4, 2013 at 1:28 PM Post #419 of 441
Got a V8P too, I bought it as an amp for my Beyerdynamic DT990 250Ω. It really smoothed out the mids on this phone and since there were no other amps around AND it was on sale for about two-thirds of the price well.... :wink: Anyways it's true the dac in this thing can't hold it's own against the majority of dac's I've tried out with it myself. The seller, however, told me that in essence the V8P is a headphone amp, with the dac as a nice added bonus. And keeping this in mind, the DAC in the V8P is pretty enjoyable musically (though it still isn't scoring high on the technicalities though). I use it now together with an HRT Microstreamer and together they really let my DT990 shine. I tried the Sennheisers with this very amp and not only did I not like it, I actually disliked listening to this pairing. Incredibly muffled, devoid of live and dynamics is how I would describe the experience. The thing that really bakes my noodle though, is this: I got an HD580 two weeks ago, and it sounds COMPLETELY different. I don't understand; they're supposed to be pretty much the same as the HD600's and those sounded totally different on this amp... don't know why. I get the hissing/popping sounds as well when warming up the amp and so I just always disconnect my phones before I do so, to connect them only after a while. Don't really know how this amp compares to any other big amps except for the Musical Fidelity M1 and, though I must be mad :wink:, actually prefer the V8P as I think it's warmer and more lively. Also the volume on my unit rarely exceeds the 9 o' clock line with both my HD580 and 250Ω DT990

Users who are viewing this thread

Back