X-Can v2 Tube tweaks needed..(new user)
May 25, 2002 at 6:04 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

Mel4

New Head-Fier
Hi,

I am new to Headphone amps and this forum and was seeking some advice on
Decent tubes to use to tweak my X-Can v2 that I am about to receive.

Can anyone who has the X-can v2 offer some advice or their experiences
with this amp and various tubes ?

I will be using HD580 Headphones and like Mainly Rock/Indie but I like
a nice detailed and not fatiguing sound.

Thankyou in advance and nice to meet you all !!
biggrin.gif

May 25, 2002 at 10:14 PM Post #2 of 17
There are two important tweaks needed to maximize the X-Can v2.

The first is the power supply, and the second is the tubes. Musical Fidelity used to make an upgraded power supply, the X-PSU, which results in much better performance, but is only available when one appears on the used market. However, someone recently posted that a 12 vac 4.5 amp adapter at Hosfelt.com provides much the same benefits, for under $20 shipped.

The tubes are a matter of taste. The JJ/Tesla 6922 are probably the best current production tubes, and are available at www.triodeelectronics.com. However, if you can find a vintage pair of older 6922's, the sound improves dramatically. I use a pair of RCA 6922's that were made for RCA by Amperex, and IMO the sound is great.

May 25, 2002 at 10:26 PM Post #3 of 17
My setup is just like Hirsch's (except I think the NOS RCA's I have are not Amperex). I agree that this way the X-Cans sound very nice indeed.

Do a search for member "Nick Dangerous". His signature line at the bottom has a link to an excellent step-by-step guide to changing the x-can tubes complete with photos.
smily_headphones1.gif

May 25, 2002 at 10:36 PM Post #4 of 17
Hi Mel4, Welcome to Head-Fi
biggrin.gif

I've got virtually an identical setup to you (Marantz CD63SE, Cambridge Audio S700 DAC and X Can V2) and I'm guessing you'll find the sound a little bright (and laid back) with your HD580s...

Even as pure stock, mine sounds great... try using (beg, borrow or steal) a pair of slightly darker sounding headphones... might bring out the sound of the MF slightly more...

If not, you'll have to keep me posted on your mods... and i might follow suit
smily_headphones1.gif

May 25, 2002 at 10:56 PM Post #5 of 17
Quote:

Originally posted by daycart1
My setup is just like Hirsch's (except I think the NOS RCA's I have are not Amperex). I agree that this way the X-Cans sound very nice indeed.

Daycart1,

According to Joe's tube lore, RCA did not make 6922's at all. ALL RCA 6922's were outsourced somewhere...and most of them were made by Amperex or Siemens. Look for ridges radiating from the top of the tube outwards. That's a good hint. Above the top spacer there may be an "A" shaped frame (if so it's probably an Amperex), or a shield, with raised squares on each side. Then look in the glass at the bottom, and see if a number is engraved there. If it's got the shield, ridges in the glass at the top, and no number in the bottom, it's likely an Amperex. If it's got a number engraved in the glass between the pins, it's a Siemens tube.

NOS RCA 6922's are a good thing. Buy them when you see them, if the price is reasonable. Although word is getting out, and price is going up, this used to be a very economical way to get Amperex and Siemens tubes.

May 26, 2002 at 1:25 AM Post #6 of 17
Right, Hirsch, you actually explained that to me on this forum before. But these tubes have none of the ridges/engraved numbers. They have round (no notches) "splatter shields" below a top halo getter. Two mica spacers and grey plates. The bottle is notably slimmer than the JJs or Sovteks. Finally, they are stamped USA. Might they be GE or Sylvania?

They sound better in the xcanv2/xpsu than the JJ's to my ears....

May 26, 2002 at 3:25 AM Post #8 of 17
Hey, Mel4, that's the Dangerous guy I mentioned! Click on his x-can link for a good time.
smily_headphones1.gif

May 26, 2002 at 6:28 AM Post #9 of 17
Quote:

Originally posted by daycart1
Right, Hirsch, you actually explained that to me on this forum before. But these tubes have none of the ridges/engraved numbers. They have round (no notches) "splatter shields" below a top halo getter. Two mica spacers and grey plates. The bottle is notably slimmer than the JJs or Sovteks. Finally, they are stamped USA. Might they be GE or Sylvania?

The grey plates, two mica, shield below halo getter sounds like an Amperex configuration, however, the Amperex would have two raised squares, one on each side of the shield. If the shield is high up in the tube, and supports come down from the middle of the shield, then widen and go down both sides of the tube, that would be an "A" frame. Are the pins gold? Is there a way you could take a picture of this tube?

May 26, 2002 at 11:16 AM Post #10 of 17
Hi guys,

Wow thanks for all that info, I can see this forum is full of nice
friendly people already !
biggrin.gif

Thanks for the link to Nicks website I found it very interesting..

As for the X-PSU I know a shop in UK that has BRAND NEW STOCK
(not second hand)
so I may purchase one of these...

Thanks again for all your advice and I will post my findings and opinions
as I go.
smily_headphones1.gif

May 26, 2002 at 11:36 AM Post #12 of 17
Quote:

Originally posted by Mel4
BTW Duncan,

The S700 DAC is a steal for £79 new ain't it ?
wink.gif

Sure is
biggrin.gif
a major improvement over my Marantz CDP line out

Jun 1, 2002 at 2:39 PM Post #13 of 17
I omitted what may be the most important tweak of all: time. The manual for the X-Can says that the amp is designed to be left on constantly. They're not kidding. I used to believe that a full 24 hours warmup was needed for this amp to sound its best. I had revised that estimate after I got the X-PSU, and have been thinking that about 30 minutes would do it. I was wrong. I accidentally left the X-Can on overnight a couple of days ago, and listened again the next evening. There was a level of detail that simply isn't present with a short warmup period. So, if you want this amp to sound its best, simply follow the manuals instruction, and leave it on.

Jun 1, 2002 at 5:34 PM Post #14 of 17
Quote:

The S700 DAC is a steal for £79 new

Where's it on offer at that price? Seen it recently at RicherSounds for 99 quid but not any cheaper. With HDCD, isolation, etc etc its a definate bargin...

Jun 1, 2002 at 5:53 PM Post #15 of 17
Quote:

Originally posted by NoDigital

Where's it on offer at that price? Seen it recently at RicherSounds for 99 quid but not any cheaper. With HDCD, isolation, etc etc its a definate bargin...

In Store at Richer Sounds...

Holborn are out of stock (I had the last one) but so far as I know the branch at Liverpool Street still has a couple (although they don't open on Saturdays)

Good luck
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back