Wow ! What if I praised the ER-4P's bass ?
Dec 22, 2008 at 11:49 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 41

antk

New Head-Fier
I am a big fan of J.S. Bach, jazz and the ER-4P. And I just had the combination explode over me while listening to Jacques Loussier's 'The Bach Book - The 40th Anniversary album'. It is the kind of music (and recording) that make the ER-4P really shine. The interesting thing though, is that throughout the listening session I was most impressed with the reproduction of the bass ( in this case coming primarily from the kick drum and the upright bass). It was deep, vibrant, complete and full. At the same time, it was beautifully controlled (not a hint of bloating) and incredibly textured (so lifelike that I could almost envision the bassist swinging with his big instrument and plucking those massive strings) and punchy when needed ( for the kick drum). And over all this, a splendid layer of delightful mids and airy highs. It really was a wow!!! session.
I just thought I'd share it with you and see what I get. I know that the er-4p's bass is not well regarded here. Maybe it was the beautiful music (it really is a very good album), maybe I just was in the mood for this, maybe it is not even bass what I am talking about ( does anyone know how low the upright bass can go ?). But I was really impressed (once again) with these phones.

So would you care to comment ?

I wish you and your family a stress free and merry Christmas/Hanukkah/Eid al-Adha/Kwanzaa and a happy new year. And may every listening session be as enjoyable and fascinating as my most recent one was (isn't that why we are all here ?)

Dec 22, 2008 at 12:38 PM Post #2 of 41
totally agree with your assessment. Etys are indeed one of the best reproducers of sound over many years, despite all the newer IEMs brought to market.

Now spend another 200 or so and get Apuresound to recable them. THEN you will hear increased SQ even more than you'renow hearing. And I too love classical and jazz, which is where these Etys truly shine.

Now I gotta go find that album you're listeining to

Dec 22, 2008 at 4:43 PM Post #3 of 41
Yes that is a great album (not that I have that version but the original Telarc cd issue as well as the original lp's and several of the other classical interpretations this group has issued on Telarc cd's). And I also totally agree with you about the ER4 hence my extreme experiment with balancing them. They have the most accurat and deep bass I think I have heard with headphones it is just not so physical impactfull as with some full size headphones. I'm actually so impressed with the balanced ER4 that it is a distinct possibility that I will sell my GS-1000 and use the ER4 as my main classical and jazz phone.

Dec 22, 2008 at 10:09 PM Post #4 of 41
it is funny how everyone of us enjoys music differently. I do like the ety er4s very much but not for classical nor for jazz. i find it too harsh for both genre. however, for trance and fast electronic or any electronic actually i find it very good. the bass is tight and well displayed: however i wish it was a bit more strong.

for classical i prefer just about any other phone that is detailed and warmer.

but ety er4s are a mainstay of mine for favourite sound if not for comfort.

Dec 22, 2008 at 10:13 PM Post #5 of 41
I use ER-4P for mainly rock and metal. If it is a well-recorded album and has bass in it, the Ety's shine. They reproduce it deep and thick, not boomy as some other phones.

Dec 22, 2008 at 10:37 PM Post #6 of 41
most phones that are of high quality will not boom if you have them properly driven. with an amp taking load from the headphone out, most players will not boom. you need otherwise, a dap that can drive iems which still, after all these years, is a hard search.

Dec 22, 2008 at 10:39 PM Post #7 of 41
Indeed, the ER4P/S bass is great, but once the main instruments (esp. in rock-based genres) kick in, the bass is immediately thrown into the back row.

Dec 22, 2008 at 10:42 PM Post #8 of 41
The Mule is right. The bass is wonderful, but there's too much treble which needs to be adjusted.

Dec 23, 2008 at 1:07 AM Post #9 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheMarchingMule /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Indeed, the ER4P/S bass is great, but once the main instruments (esp. in rock-based genres) kick in, the bass is immediately thrown into the back row.

X2 - exactly. But superb with slower acoustic music.

Dec 23, 2008 at 5:40 AM Post #11 of 41
And I will praise your user avatar! Yahtzee!

Dec 23, 2008 at 5:42 AM Post #12 of 41
4p not so much but the 4s has the cleanest bass out of anything i've heard. when there is good recorded bass in a song, it comes right through and each note is articulated crisply and transients are really fast. what it lacks is weight/body which makes people look the other way... if there was anything that i had a complain with the ety sound is that the mids aren't forward enough, treble takes front row which gets in the way of the music.

Dec 23, 2008 at 5:49 AM Post #13 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheMarchingMule /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Could it be that someone ( the artist, the sound engineer) decided what should be main and what should be in the back row long before the signal reaches your drivers ?

Dec 23, 2008 at 6:46 AM Post #14 of 41
doubtful. i have never heard speakers or other headphones that sound quite like the er4s. if the engineer really wanted the music to sound like that, then not only would everyone need to have the er4s but there must be no other options on market. as much as i like it for trance, i found it to be a very dishonest phone.

Dec 23, 2008 at 7:13 AM Post #15 of 41
and if you praise it treble and bass, I will even go so far as to praise its, er, insulation. and yes, its bass. indeed for Bach or for Jazz. I am seriously thinking of getting a third pair of ER4Ps... sick, just sick. in a good way.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back