Wow, Upgading Your Power Suppy Really Does Improves Audio Quality!!
Nov 30, 2010 at 12:24 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 50

moodyrn

Headphoneus Supremus
I remember reading a post some time ago about someone saying the power supply affects audio quality. At the time I didn't put too much stock into that since the power supply has to power so many things other than the audio out. I didn't think that it would really affect audio quality. But I now see I was wrong. I've been using a raidmax infinity 600 watt power supply that has served my well for the last four years. Recently it has become noisy, and I knew it was now time to upgrade. I just upgraded to a seasonic 750x power supply. I chose this because of the efficiency and the low ripple ratings. I really wasn't looking for an improvement in audio quality, so it was a pleasant surprise to hear that I got a very noticeable improvement in that area. The term I would use to describe the improvements are the same most people would use to describe an improvement upgrading their dac. It sounds like a veil has been lifted. Everything is clearer. The highs are more extended and detailed. The bass it punchier, and the sound as a whole is much smoother. Other non audio improvements are the access times with my other hard drives. It use to be about a 3 to 5 second delay whenever I access files on any hard drive other than my main C drive. Of course it's much quieter as well. There's also a small improvement in video quality when watching blu-rays. Well this is a lesson learned. I will never dismiss anyone else claims without trying it myself.

Nov 30, 2010 at 2:03 PM Post #3 of 50

Quote:
It use to be about a 3 to 5 second delay whenever I access files on any hard drive other than my main C

What do you use Floppy discs??
eek.gif

Probably you had a defective PSU, there isn`t that much gain from a good psu to another..

Nov 30, 2010 at 3:06 PM Post #4 of 50

Quote:
Quote:
It use to be about a 3 to 5 second delay whenever I access files on any hard drive other than my main C

What do you use Floppy discs??
eek.gif

Probably you had a defective PSU, there isn`t that much gain from a good psu to another..

Do you use 8 track tapes? Ask a stupid question you'll get a stupid question in return. I have confirmed this with trying other power supplies from my numerous other computers I've built. The sound is the same as my previous power supply. I used to think this, but now I can admit I was wrong. I will tell you what I told myself in my first post. Don't dismiss someone else claims if you haven't tried it first. Now go and continue listening to your 8 tracks.

Nov 30, 2010 at 3:24 PM Post #5 of 50
No, sometimes I use cassete tapes on my vintage Nakamichi, and I`m searching for some good  Reel to Reel,
believe they sound way better than some compressed mp3 on my hard drive.

It`s not that I don`t believe you,(read my post)  I just think that your old PSU had gone bad, 3-5 s delay is too much..

Nov 30, 2010 at 3:27 PM Post #6 of 50

Quote:
I remember reading a post some time ago about someone saying the power supply affects audio quality. At the time I didn't put too much stock into that since the power supply has to power so many things other than the audio out. I didn't think that it would really affect audio quality. But I now see I was wrong. I've been using a raidmax infinity 600 watt power supply that has served my well for the last four years. Recently it has become noisy, and I knew it was now time to upgrade. I just upgraded to a seasonic 750x power supply. I chose this because of the efficiency and the low ripple ratings. I really wasn't looking for an improvement in audio quality, so it was a pleasant surprise to hear that I got a very noticeable improvement in that area. The term I would use to describe the improvements are the same most people would use to describe an improvement upgrading their dac. It sounds like a veil has been lifted. Everything is clearer. The highs are more extended and detailed. The bass it punchier, and the sound as a whole is much smoother. Other non audio improvements are the access times with my other hard drives. It use to be about a 3 to 5 second delay whenever I access files on any hard drive other than my main C drive. Of course it's much quieter as well. There's also a small improvement in video quality when watching blu-rays. Well this is a lesson learned. I will never dismiss anyone else claims without trying it myself.

From what you said, I'm pretty sure your previous PSU was a very defective one because there is really no such big difference in HDD access time from a good psu to another normal one. I've had some PSUs in the past, from $40 psu to highest end ones like PC Power & cooling TurboCool, Seasonic s12s, OCZ PowerStream etc and they are really the same as of hdd performance. About audio signal, if there is any improvement, it should be small enough to make me doubt if it is from the psu or it is just me who wanna hear something new from new toys.

Nov 30, 2010 at 3:35 PM Post #7 of 50

Quote:

Quote:

From what you said, I'm pretty sure your previous PSU was a very defective one because there is really no such big difference in HDD access time from a good psu to another normal one. I've had some PSUs in the past, from $40 psu to highest end ones like PC Power & cooling TurboCool, Seasonic s12s, OCZ PowerStream etc and they are really the same as of hdd performance. About audio signal, if there is any improvement, it should be small enough to make me doubt if it is from the psu or it is just me who wanna hear something new from new toys.

The power supply wasn't bad. I think it was my system being under powered. I have a couple of hard drives in my studio pc and trying it in that one acesses those immediately. My main computer rig consists of 5 hard drives(two 1.5 terabytes, two 500gb, and a 2tb), three dvd drives with on being blu-ray, quad core processor, 4 memory stick, and of course a video card. I'm also using about ten usb devices. So 600 watts probably wasn't enough. As far as the sound goes, please read my first post. I wasn't looking for or expecting an increase in audio quality. I was a believer that upgrading a power supply didn't and couldn't result in a sound quality increase. I don't care if anyone believes me. I created this thread to display my own, surprising findings. And to say I was wrong. Whether you think I'm right or wrong, I don't care. It's my ears and not yours. So that what matters to me. I'm just glad I got more than I was expecting out of my purchase.

Dec 1, 2010 at 7:11 PM Post #12 of 50
My, (very)  limited,  experience with audio, taught me that you better get an onboard sound in a noiseless rig, than a top offboard card in a noisy one.
 It´s cheaper, but not necessarily easer, too.

Dec 1, 2010 at 7:21 PM Post #13 of 50

Quote:
I read somewhere that audio is 80% power supply. There is a lot of truth in that statement.

Pull the plug and tell me its not 100 % .... :)

Seriously, anything that you can do to ensure that your music reaches your ears in the cleanest, most efficient means possible has to be a good thing, right ? The audiophile obsession with every minute detail is often humourous, but in the case of a computer I am prepared to take a lot of the suggestions onboard:

1. Run from battery power where possible
2. Quiesce (yes, its a word..) the system when listening to music - did your CDP have to run a spreadsheet, email and Facebook while delivering music to your ears ?
3. If you have a USB DAC, dont have *anything* else plugged into the machine
4. Run a SSD over a spinning HDD where possible
5. Minimise the number of fans in your machine where possible

And so it goes - it only gets expensive when you start looking at linear power supplies, mains power conditioners and aftermarket power cables. I accept that the hardcore will always spend the extra money to get the best possible result, but there are so many common-sense steps that anyone with a laptop/netbook can try before resorting to a new PSU. I agree that the OPs original PSU was almost certainly faulty, but the reality is that most desktop PSUs are bargain basement parts built for consumer PCs.  My advice is to try the simple stuff first.

Dec 1, 2010 at 8:01 PM Post #14 of 50
Give Me A Tube "Lambda" Regulated Power Supply, Any day!!!   Sorry for the dust!   Also NOTE: I mass Load All Of My Equipment!!! (Brass anyone) This Beast Powers My Phono Stage......Chris Ivan Audio.......

Dec 3, 2010 at 9:21 PM Post #15 of 50

Quote:
Give Me A Tube "Lambda" Regulated Power Supply, Any day!!!   Sorry for the dust!   Also NOTE: I mass Load All Of My Equipment!!! (Brass anyone) This Beast Powers My Phono Stage......Chris Ivan Audio.......

and I bet that velvet sleeve over the power cord really gives it a nice warm tone... 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back