Wow, Upgading Your Power Suppy Really Does Improves Audio Quality!!
Dec 3, 2010 at 9:27 PM Post #16 of 50
Quote:
Quote:
Give Me A Tube "Lambda" Regulated Power Supply, Any day!!!   Sorry for the dust!   Also NOTE: I mass Load All Of My Equipment!!! (Brass anyone) This Beast Powers My Phono Stage......Chris Ivan Audio.......

and I bet that velvet sleeve over the power cord really gives it a nice warm tone... 

That My FRIEND is an Original SHUN-MOOK "CABLE JACKET"..........Ask any OLD audiophile about their worth!!!!!
L3000.gif

Dec 3, 2010 at 9:43 PM Post #17 of 50

Quote:
That My FRIEND is an Original SHUN-MOOK "CABLE JACKET"..........Ask any OLD audiophile about their worth!!!!!
L3000.gif

Ahh, audio voodoo...gotta love it!! How much is the velvet wizard sleeve? 300? 400?

I've seen bags of magic audio rocks go for at least 100...
evil_smiley.gif

Dec 3, 2010 at 10:03 PM Post #18 of 50
Quality power plays a HUGE component in sound quality.  Particularly in dedicated audio components (amps, sources).  Even a change in rectifier tubes can make very significant differences.  If I ever purchase another amp or preamp the power supply will certainly be a major factor in my decision.  I think the power supply is as important as the audio circuit itself.  Cables, I'm not so sure...  I need to explore that further.  But the PS, yes definitely.  It's always nice to discover things for yourself (in your case with a computer PSU) so it isn't just doctrine that is informing your knowledge.  Good stuff!

Dec 3, 2010 at 10:34 PM Post #19 of 50

Quote:

Quote:
L3000.gif

Ahh, audio voodoo...gotta love it!! How much is the velvet wizard sleeve? 300? 400?

I've seen bags of magic audio rocks go for at least 100...
evil_smiley.gif

You laugh grasshopper?

Ahh trolling is so passe.

Dec 4, 2010 at 4:06 AM Post #20 of 50

Quote:
You laugh grasshopper?

Ahh trolling is so passe.

Apologies. Perhaps that did come off as a bit trollish. I don't mean to stir up anything. Plus I had been drinking.

It's just that a lot of these products like the "Cable Jacket" sort of remind me of the magnetic bracelets my mom wears that she claims heals her back pains and headaches.

It's all a state of mind, I believe. And that's my opinion. If it works for you, then more power to you. (No pun intended)
rolleyes.gif

Dec 4, 2010 at 11:50 AM Post #21 of 50
600 watts is MORE than enough for your setup, everyone gets so caught up in the kilowatt psu race nowadays that they buy unnecessarily overkill power supplies that do nothing more than add to your electricity bill.

Dec 4, 2010 at 11:55 AM Post #22 of 50
guys, just to put it very simply, the audio you listen to is simply your power supply waveform, which has been modulated to portray audio. you are listening to your power supply. of course it effects audio quality

Dec 4, 2010 at 12:26 PM Post #24 of 50
I'm fine with the sound improvement, because there's analog involved, but this part here:

Quote:
There's also a small improvement in video quality when watching blu-rays.

I'm sorry, but I can't believe this one.

Of course, assuming you're using the same software before and after, the decoding process is purely algorithmic and digital. And unless you're using VGA, your video output is digital as well.

If you're getting different results in two situations, then it would mean your processor was doing something wrong in one of them, and this would cause major system instability.

Dec 4, 2010 at 12:57 PM Post #26 of 50
Quote:
Yes power has a noticeable impact on both player and projector.

I suppose he's talking about a BD drive on his computer, and an LCD display.

Of course, power will have an impact on a projector, because there's analog involved.
Same thing goes for the player if an analog output is being used.

Dec 4, 2010 at 1:04 PM Post #27 of 50

Quote:
Quote:
Yes power has a noticeable impact on both player and projector.

I suppose he's talking about a BD drive on his computer, and an LCD display.

Of course, power will have an impact on a projector, because there's analog involved.
Same thing goes for the player if an analog output is being used.

even digital is effected to a degree, digital signals are clocked out by a crystal (or other type of) oscillator, which is based on an analogue waveform and in turn based on your power supply's waveform. all these systems have varying degrees of PSRR, digital is effected less than pure analogue, but it is not immune and ALL of them analogue or digital must pass through an analogue output stage for us to be able to experience them

Dec 4, 2010 at 1:11 PM Post #28 of 50
Oh gosh, when I saw the thread title all nicely dolled up with every word capitaled my first reaction was 'oh good troll!' and came in here for some laughs. The laughs I still got, but not for the reasons I thought.. Anyway friend there's a difference between fixing and improving. If there was any change at all in the first place, which I understand might not even have occurred. My apologies for not knowing if 600W is sufficient for powering your overcluttered rig. Anyway if your soundcard was underpowered, the change shouldn't be as you described; rather that of "Oh GOSH you mean my music was supposed to sound that loud at 100% vol!? I never knew!! :O :O" Power supplies don't even factor into the audio signal path. My made-in-Singapore electricity is the same as your made-in-the-United-States-of-A electricity and both simply provide juice for your circuit to run. =.=

Dec 4, 2010 at 1:18 PM Post #29 of 50
Quote:
even digital is effected to a degree, digital signals are clocked out by a crystal (or other type of) oscillator, which is based on an analogue waveform and in turn based on your power supply's waveform. all these systems have varying degrees of PSRR, digital is effected less than pure analogue, but it is not immune

Yes, but clock jitter wouldn't influence the image quality, because image quality depends only on the output of a decoder algorithm. That would imply different results from the same decoder algorithm, which makes no sense unless the whole system is completely erratic as well.
An analogous situation with audio files: convert a FLAC file to WAV in one computer with a good PSU, and then do it again using the same software, but on a computer with a bad PSU. Are you going to get different WAV files? No.

Quote:
qusp said:

ALL of them analogue or digital must pass through an analogue output stage for us to be able to experience them

Sure, but this is beyond his computer's PSU scope.

Dec 4, 2010 at 5:31 PM Post #30 of 50
Quote:
600 watts is MORE than enough for your setup, everyone gets so caught up in the kilowatt psu race nowadays that they buy unnecessarily overkill power supplies that do nothing more than add to your electricity bill.

I'll Stick to the OLD Adage of "Give me ONE CLEAN Watt, over 600 Dirty/noisy Watts any day".....
  dxanex, I'm OK with the people who don't believe in the VOOOOODOOO Audio Crap that some of us use.....I'll tell you this much, I sure wouldn't lay down any large amounts of $$$$$$ on most of the stuff out there today or that use to be out there, yrs ago.....I loved your analogy of the  the themagnetic bracelets! So True!!!...This will make you GUYS laugh,  I took apart some "Shun-Mook" Reference Floor Standing speakers that used Dyna-Audio Drivers from the late 90's (about 10K) at the time, and to my surprise, found at least six "Cable Jackets" wrapped around the drivers, wires that ran to the X-overs in each cabinet, PLUS, GET READY, They had the Shun-Mook Pucks glued on the backs (magnets) of all the drivers......with silk wrapped and taped around each one, Crazy!!!! I remember my young son laughing and he asked me "Gee Whiz, Dad, I wonder if that's Shun-Mook Scotch tape........., So that's where I got most of my Shun-Mook "add-ons" or their Magical Music enhancers......   Oh! I still use a TICE Clock under my equipment rack, but only because it belonged to Mr. Ray Andrews (of Cincinnati) the octogenarian audiophile who taught many how to truly listen.........RIP. RAY 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back