Wow Skullcandy CEO looking to "innovate" headphone industry
Dec 23, 2013 at 5:16 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Sonido

1000+ Head-Fier
video.cnbc.com/gallery/?video=3000230520

Warning: Not for those with high blood pressure. The statements will make your blood boil. Heck it makes you almost want to root for Beats.

Best part was when he proclaimed that there hasn't been anything new in technology in the headphone industry the past couple of years. I don't know if this is from sheer ignorance, or he really meant no new innovation in appearance designs of headphones. Sure I guess sparkling headphones are next. He did sound very sincere through it all though, and being high up in management, I doubt he's exposed to brands like Sennheiser or Audeze, being not direct competitors with Skullcandy.

Dec 23, 2013 at 5:56 PM Post #2 of 4
Is he talking about the audiophile market, or the general consumer market?
Because if we limit ourselves to just Skullcandy and Beats, let's face it, he's right.

Dec 23, 2013 at 6:05 PM Post #3 of 4
I mean he speaks of headphone technology as a whole in comparison to other consumer electronics being stagnant. While a lot of the gear on here is not mass consumer market, it's still readily available. For example, in computers, you would group all computers from low end netbooks to high end gaming PCs as the computer market. While I see there is a different goal between audiophile headphones and mass consumer ones, it's odd to me to place them as completely difference products. If you discount the resurgence of planar magnetic and the HD800 ring driver technologies, even audiophile technologies has not changed much.

Dec 23, 2013 at 9:54 PM Post #4 of 4
Do have to give them a thumbs up for the SLYR as the Skullcandy/Astro lovechild. It's a start in the right direction for Skullcandy to be taken more serious.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back