Wow! Sennheiser HD 540 Reference are so good.
Jun 23, 2016 at 5:04 PM Post #1,308 of 4,363
I'm used to the HD580/HD600 which have more 'grunt' in the bass area and also have higher sensitivity.

The pads are velour (for sure not originals but in good shape), don't know which kind, I just bought the headphones yesterday for a good price. The soundstage and detail continue to impress me as I listened to them all day long.

Something like this https://www.amazon.co.uk/Generic-Replacement-Cushions-Sennheiser-HD560II/dp/B00XBO3RJS/ .

Aug 19, 2016 at 4:36 AM Post #1,309 of 4,363
Guys, did you find any good, alternative earpads for HD540 ref.? Preferably a velour ones. I've tried a hm5, but round shape would be better. Maybe someone found some kind of "gem" on ebay or somewhere else. I would like the alternative earpads to sound as near as possible to stock hd540 earpads.

Aug 19, 2016 at 2:56 PM Post #1,310 of 4,363
  Guys, did you find any good, alternative earpads for HD540 ref.? Preferably a velour ones. I've tried a hm5, but round shape would be better. Maybe someone found some kind of "gem" on ebay or somewhere else. I would like the alternative earpads to sound as near as possible to stock hd540 earpads.

Original Hifiman velours come pretty close to stock pads in sound.
I havn't tried out the Focus pads though. 

Aug 20, 2016 at 10:31 AM Post #1,311 of 4,363

some particular hifiman pads, or any of them?

#tapatalknięte

Aug 20, 2016 at 10:42 AM Post #1,312 of 4,363
Aug 27, 2016 at 1:49 PM Post #1,314 of 4,363
Got a pair of HD540 today. Was expecting the airy sound of my old plastic hd 495 and the wireless sennheiser I used to have, but in flagship style.
It is plastici but the cups have this industrial beauty. Original ear pads are in good shape.
Plugged them in my Erzedich Tilla because of the synergy it has with Sennheiser cans and was blown away.
Great separation , natural bass , dept , great musicallity. And this with Can't Slow Down on airplay.
Sibelius this time.
sounded even better with my Lyr.
now try the ultralineair. The fat plug doesn't seem to fit! Don't want to force it.
Lets try the toxic cable of my Hd650 and see what happens. Sound opens even more but the highs become somewhat hot, still ........rather beautifull. Can't push the modern plugs as far in as the old and they keep falling out so back to the original cable. Slightly more distance less prominent highs. Return of the veil? Not really.
So far for today.
Great experience , lot of fun.

Aug 31, 2016 at 3:25 AM Post #1,316 of 4,363

i bought the hifiman velour pads and indeed they are really good. both when it comes to sound and comfort. thanks a lot for suggestion 

Awesome, glad you like the combination :)

Sep 2, 2016 at 3:16 AM Post #1,320 of 4,363
  Maybe a little bit, but I don't mind it. I think I prefer hifiman velours to beyerdynamic velours, when it comes to sound. Beyerdynamic velour is more comfortable though.

Between hifiman and beyer being used on the HD540, there's no competition.

The beyer sounds NOTHING like the original HD540 pad, making the bass boomy and treble VERY harsh.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back