Wow! Sennheiser HD 540 Reference are so good.
May 18, 2016 at 6:02 PM Post #1,279 of 4,351
Hi for all headfi fans. I found a good condition senn hd 540 ii headphones in my dad's old staffs. It's really good condition except the ear pads, and the sound is fantastic. Looks for me it is genuine, but the model number printed on the opposite side as usual. Maybe just missprinted and pass the German QC and rare like a valuable stamp, or just simply fake?
Thanks
Sorry about my English.

Jun 8, 2016 at 8:32 AM Post #1,280 of 4,351
Hi for all headfi fans. I found a good condition senn hd 540 ii headphones in my dad's old staffs. It's really good condition except the ear pads, and the sound is fantastic. Looks for me it is genuine, but the model number printed on the opposite side as usual. Maybe just missprinted and pass the German QC and rare like a valuable stamp, or just simply fake?
Thanks
Sorry about my English.

Ha! That's funny. Like what the hell? Got yourself a mongrel there ^^  Highly doubt it's fake but then again they're good at faking lots of things.

Actually came in here to ask if anyone is willing to part with a very good condition HD 540.
A 600 ohm model is preferred. Send me a PM please.

Edit: found me a 300 ohm model

Jun 12, 2016 at 6:13 AM Post #1,282 of 4,351
Jun 12, 2016 at 1:00 PM Post #1,284 of 4,351
If I recall correctly, the Hifiman velour pads sound pretty decent on the HD540.

Jun 12, 2016 at 5:40 PM Post #1,285 of 4,351
Ok. So I feel like the T70 pads work EXTREMELY well on the HD540. They are far better than the ebay pads mine came with but I was able to use the retainer ring that came with them and they work PERFECTLY. The ebay pads were very thick and made the sound very dry and unnaturally emphasized highs compared to the T70 pads. FYI the T70 pads are Beyer velours, but they are a lot thinner than the other Beyer pads that would probably cause the highs to be overly pronounced.

Jun 13, 2016 at 12:38 AM Post #1,286 of 4,351
Jun 13, 2016 at 1:16 AM Post #1,287 of 4,351
That's correct. You still need the Retainer rings. My friend has a measuring rig and this is what he got as far as the HD540 frequency response with NOS pads.

And this is with the T70 pads

It's not really close but they sound very good. Unfortunately I don't have and NOS pads here. They actually remind me of the Grado 325e, but comfortable.

Jun 13, 2016 at 4:00 AM Post #1,289 of 4,351
If I recall correctly, the Hifiman velour pads sound pretty decent on the HD540.

They sound very much like the T70 pads but aren't as comfortable to me.

Yes, they're not the most comfy.
I have tried a T70 and those ear pads are just decadent. I wouldn't mind procuring a set of those pads one day 
tongue.gif

Jun 13, 2016 at 4:31 AM Post #1,290 of 4,351
  That's correct. You still need the Retainer rings. My friend has a measuring rig and this is what he got as far as the HD540 frequency response with NOS pads.

And this is with the T70 pads

It's not really close but they sound very good. Unfortunately I don't have and NOS pads here. They actually remind me of the Grado 325e, but comfortable.

I can't really imagine what the sound is like with T70 pads but from my interpretation of the graphs it's going to be quite or even very different. What's your say?
And ''NOS'' means stock I assume? Not like, my friend's uncle has a neighbour who knows a shop in the middle of nowhere who seems to have hoarded brand new 540 pads.

Not that right?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back