Wow! Sennheiser HD 540 Reference are so good.
Jun 25, 2021 at 12:05 PM Post #3,301 of 4,363
The 480 has one, even the 430 has one, the ref 1 is a 430.5 because has the same structure but the center dome resonator is not there. They implemented another shape resonator for ref 2 and gold.
Btw they did the same thing again for 800 and 800s, no resonator, more picky highs, and then again resonator added.

Attachments

• Sennheiser-HD480classic_IMG_04b.jpg
    Sennheiser-HD480classic_IMG_04b.jpg
    290.1 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20210625_180442.jpg
    IMG_20210625_180442.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Jun 27, 2021 at 1:52 PM Post #3,302 of 4,363
I've had my 600 ohm 540 Reference Golds for about a year now, and have been loving every minute of ownership. I bought them spontaneously, before I knew of the cult following they have. I'm glad I did because the prices are still rising. I sent mine out to DMS about a month ago for review, which I am eagerly waiting for.

Couple things I noticed about my pair is that the stock cable measures around 12 ohms by itself... Not exactly great!

I also was able to fix the loose L/R headband adjustment mechanisms by removing them from each side, carefully heating them with a heat gun, and slightly forming the tabs outward, back to where they should be. The detents are much snappier and hold firmly into place now.

5401.jpg

The foam discs were deteriorating on mine, so I sourced new ones directly from Sennheiser:
https://en-us.sennheiser.com/accessories-hd-425-hd-430-hd-540-ear-cushion

5403.jpg5402.jpg5404.jpg

Jun 27, 2021 at 6:15 PM Post #3,303 of 4,363
Looking forward to seeing the review video! Perhaps you could ask him to request that sennheiser starts making earpads for them again? Never know, one recogniseable public voice could be the push we need for better support, especially considering the comments in his interview video with sennheiser in which they said they were still planning support older models

Jul 14, 2021 at 10:45 AM Post #3,305 of 4,363
I owned an HD-540 Reference Gold last year. It was 300 ohm and I let go of it earlier than I should have to finance another purchase. It was a very enjoyable headphone, such a natural timbre. Now I am again part of the club, having found an HD 540 Reference in pristine condition - sent in by the original owner for clean-up and care job by Sennheiser some years ago. These are the 600 ohm, non-gold edition. Can't wait to give them a proper run with classical music on my Bottlehead Crack.

Last edited:
Jul 14, 2021 at 12:07 PM Post #3,306 of 4,363
Last edited:
Jul 14, 2021 at 12:12 PM Post #3,307 of 4,363
I owned an HD-540 Reference Gold last year. It was 300 ohm and I let go of it earlier than I should have to finance another purchase. It was a very enjoyable headphone, such a natural timbre. Now I am again part of the club, having found an HD 540 Reference in pristine condition - sent it by the original owner for clean-up and care job by Sennheiser some years ago. These are the 600 ohm, non-gold edition. Can't wait to give them a proper run with classical music on my Bottlehead Crack.
You sold them to me, and for me it's the best investment in any of my audio purchases. They're fantastic, and they give me more listening fascination than my Arya (also a very good headphone). What's even more fascinating about them is that they showed me every cable upgrade, and when I thought I had reached their maximum, on the next upgrade they became even more fascinating.
The HD 540 was the first headset I experienced as a premium audio, and so far sound unsurpassed.
I am very glad that you have the right couple for you

Jul 14, 2021 at 3:01 PM Post #3,309 of 4,363
You sold them to me, and for me it's the best investment in any of my audio purchases. They're fantastic, and they give me more listening fascination than my Arya (also a very good headphone). What's even more fascinating about them is that they showed me every cable upgrade, and when I thought I had reached their maximum, on the next upgrade they became even more fascinating.
The HD 540 was the first headset I experienced as a premium audio, and so far sound unsurpassed.
I am very glad that you have the right couple for you

Good to hear! So what cable upgrade do you recommend? For now I am just using my HD-650 cable since my 650 has a custom Forza AudioWorks cable. But I don't want to use a FAW cable on the 540 because their adapter pins are slightly thicker and the 540 has the thinnest ports of the series.

Jul 14, 2021 at 3:37 PM Post #3,310 of 4,363
Good to hear! So what cable upgrade do you recommend? For now I am just using my HD-650 cable since my 650 has a custom Forza AudioWorks cable. But I don't want to use a FAW cable on the 540 because their adapter pins are slightly thicker and the 540 has the thinnest ports of the series.
Headphone cable - Cardas Clear Light - four pins, I also have it on Arya, the sound is airy, uncolored with excellent insight.
You have other praised and more affordable cables that are recommended on this thread
To increase the resolution, transparency, details, Inakustik Referentz USB did the most, and to a lesser extent WireWorld Eclipse 8 XLR.
Adding power cords to my system, the sound got full, extra clarity, the stage got bigger, the sound with more texture.
For me, it was a way to upgrade with constant benefit

Jul 14, 2021 at 3:45 PM Post #3,311 of 4,363
HD 600, HD650 cables are used for HD 540, on this thread you have instructions on how to thin plastic with pins to enter the HD540 port

Jul 16, 2021 at 11:50 PM Post #3,312 of 4,363
Jul 19, 2021 at 3:32 AM Post #3,313 of 4,363
I've had my 600 ohm 540 Reference Golds for about a year now, and have been loving every minute of ownership. I bought them spontaneously, before I knew of the cult following they have. I'm glad I did because the prices are still rising. I sent mine out to DMS about a month ago for review, which I am eagerly waiting for.

Couple things I noticed about my pair is that the stock cable measures around 12 ohms by itself... Not exactly great!

I also was able to fix the loose L/R headband adjustment mechanisms by removing them from each side, carefully heating them with a heat gun, and slightly forming the tabs outward, back to where they should be. The detents are much snappier and hold firmly into place now.

The foam discs were deteriorating on mine, so I sourced new ones directly from Sennheiser:
https://en-us.sennheiser.com/accessories-hd-425-hd-430-hd-540-ear-cushion

U know where I can buy a used 540 gold 600 ohm version?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back