Wow! Sennheiser HD 540 Reference are so good.
Jun 22, 2021 at 2:24 PM Post #3,286 of 4,363
Funny you should say that, when I unplugged the cables from the headphone, there was oil around the connectors (plastic parts, not the pins). Maybe those plugs getting stiff or stuck is a common issue?
Yes, that's interesting. I haven't seen anyone mentioned this before though, that I remember. Maybe o0CosmoMemory0o can shed light with his vast amount of statistical data on the subject. :relaxed:

Jun 22, 2021 at 2:30 PM Post #3,287 of 4,363
There was a video interview recently on youtube, out out by DMS, where he had a spokesperson from sennheiser and senova discussing the changes, in which they said that they will be continuing to not only make headphones, but also continue to support spare parts. I'll leave a link for sake of ease

I watched the video, it is reassuring, thank you. Recently I placed a web order with Sennheiser and they didn't send one of the items (a replacement HD540 cable). I waited for a few days, and finally they cancelled that part of the order and gave me a refund. Maybe it was just a temporary hiccups, hopefully they didn't just discontinue it. That cable is compatible with a lot of legacy headphones including the HD250 and HD560.

Jun 22, 2021 at 2:45 PM Post #3,288 of 4,363
Yes, that's interesting. I haven't seen anyone mentioned this before though, that I remember. Maybe o0CosmoMemory0o can shed light with his vast amount of statistical data on the subject. :relaxed:
Never seen something like this with any of the headphones i Had in the years, for sure the previous owner did it, because i did just the same with mine, a bit of wd40 to preserve contacts.

Jun 22, 2021 at 3:28 PM Post #3,289 of 4,363
Never seen something like this with any of the headphones i Had in the years, for sure the previous owner did it, because i did just the same with mine, a bit of wd40 to preserve contacts.
As long as the plastic parts are not Polycarbonate that sounds like a good idea. I think WD40 and Polycarbonate don't mix well, but otherwise it doesn't affect plastics.

BTW, what is your opinion of the K240M vs the HD540 Ref II? I think you had the K240 Monitor, didn't you? I've been listening to both of them lately and I was wondering what your thoughts are.

Jun 22, 2021 at 3:50 PM Post #3,290 of 4,363
As long as the plastic parts are not Polycarbonate that sounds like a good idea. I think WD40 and Polycarbonate don't mix well, but otherwise it doesn't affect plastics.

BTW, what is your opinion of the K240M vs the HD540 Ref II? I think you had the K240 Monitor, didn't you? I've been listening to both of them lately and I was wondering what your thoughts are.
I never had or heard a K240M but i have an MP sextett

mp sextett ( tested with: original pads, back driver foam reconstructed )

they need volume to have mids leveled with bass and highs
warm and relaxed sound but not in any way congested ( totally not fatiguing )
mid bass, clearly elevated, that goes into mids, not overpowering but preeminent, this is the main character of the headphone
soundstage is intimate, distant instruments in the stage are like "veiled"
speed/attack is not bad for a so old headphone and magnet/coil tech, helped by the small driver dimension
overall, it clear that this is mostly a voice monitor headphone, with voices and mids they are spot on and accurate, they just don't have the details for classical or orchestral ( they sound analog with them )

540 ref 2 ( tested with: 430 pads, 430 front driver foam, back driver original cloth + foam reconstructed )

they need half the volume to sound the same as sextetts
leaner in sound signature, more agile, more resolving in details/separation, but still "musical" and enjoyable
instruments sounds A LOT better and life like
voices are clearer and nearer to the listener
soundstage is bigger, not big, but is like comparing a modest living room to an intimate kitchen
mid bass weaker but more coherent and faster

Conclusions:

As much i love sextetts ( they're an icon ), they get truced by the 540 ref 2 (by the ref 1 too obviously), it's a much more "modern" and advanced headphone

BTW...lately i've found one that (IMHO) is better than the 540 and it a Sony ( one that i bought as a joke and ended up laughing for how this thing sound, sound signature is a lot like the 540 but revised 10 years after )

Last edited:
Jun 22, 2021 at 6:27 PM Post #3,291 of 4,363

mid bass, clearly elevated, that goes into mids, not overpowering but preeminent, this is the main character of the headphone
speed/attack is not bad for a so old headphone and magnet/coil tech, helped by the small driver dimension
overall, it clear that this is mostly a voice monitor headphone, with voices and mids they are spot on and accurate, they just don't have the details for classical or orchestral ( they sound analog with them )

540 ref 2 ( tested with: 430 pads, 430 front driver foam, back driver original cloth + foam reconstructed )

leaner in sound signature, more agile, more resolving in details/separation, but still "musical" and enjoyable
soundstage is bigger, not big, but is like comparing a modest living room to an intimate kitchen

Conclusions:

As much i love sextetts ( they're an icon ), they get truced by the 540 ref 2 (by the ref 1 too obviously), it's a much more "modern" and advanced headphone

BTW...lately i've found one that (IMHO) is better than the 540 and it a Sony ( one that i bought as a joke and ended up laughing for how this thing sound, sound signature is like the 540 but revised 10 years after and bested )...maybe one day i'll reveal the one
Thank you for your comparison between the Sextett and the 540 Ref II, it is very illustrative. Many of the things you say are what I feel about the K240 Monitor and the HD540. In general the HD540 is both more resolving and natural. The soundstage is more involving and airy, and it has better extension above and below. It also seems more nimble (faster driver), the K240M isn't as dynamic.

Based on that comparison you would think the K240M is crap, but it really isn't. It is also pretty laid back like you said your Sextetts are, though I don't think the K240M has that mid bass bump you mention. The overall impression is that the K240M is a little blurred compared with the HD540, which is more lifelike. Neither of them are fatiguing to me though, which says tons about the HD540, since it really is more detailed and has a more open and airy treble.

The Sony sound intriguing. Maybe you will share in the future once you have bought enough and are not afraid of inflating auction prices. :relaxed:

I know it can't be the MDR-7506 though, because I own that one and it is not even in the same league.

Jun 23, 2021 at 8:09 AM Post #3,292 of 4,363
Thank you for your comparison between the Sextett and the 540 Ref II, it is very illustrative. Many of the things you say are what I feel about the K240 Monitor and the HD540. In general the HD540 is both more resolving and natural. The soundstage is more involving and airy, and it has better extension above and below. It also seems more nimble (faster driver), the K240M isn't as dynamic.

Based on that comparison you would think the K240M is crap, but it really isn't. It is also pretty laid back like you said your Sextetts are, though I don't think the K240M has that mid bass bump you mention. The overall impression is that the K240M is a little blurred compared with the HD540, which is more lifelike. Neither of them are fatiguing to me though, which says tons about the HD540, since it really is more detailed and has a more open and airy treble.

The Sony sound intriguing. Maybe you will share in the future once you have bought enough and are not afraid of inflating auction prices. :relaxed:

I know it can't be the MDR-7506 though, because I own that one and it is not even in the same league.
I did try the 7506 and 7510, found them boring to the core.
I read that the 240m is supposed to be leaner, so yeah, a bit more accurate in that term compared to sextetts ( can't speak for the lp one that many say are bass shy) that are more "musical".

Jun 23, 2021 at 6:20 PM Post #3,293 of 4,363
I did try the 7506 and 7510, found them boring to the core.
I read that the 240m is supposed to be leaner, so yeah, a bit more accurate in that term compared to sextetts ( can't speak for the lp one that many say are bass shy) that are more "musical".
The 7506 is part boring and part annoying. The treble can be grating and the bass is boomy and distorted. Once you have heard better cans it is impossible to like it. Orchestral violin sections never sounded right in them either.

I'm enjoying my K240M, it is a little darker than the HD540 and less detailed, but it is still quite enjoyable and reasonably realistic. Without the earcup foam I think the soundstage is pretty good too, but not as amazing as the HD540 either.

Jun 24, 2021 at 1:19 AM Post #3,294 of 4,363
T
Today i received my 540 reference, didnt' know what version would've came.
It is 300ohm with fabric pads, px1 cable with steel flat plugs, there is just a piece of cloth instead of foams under pads.
I'm eager to compare them with the ref 2.
And btw, it's True that first reference doesn't have the resonator (only gold and ref 2), and has paper (like 430) instead of plastic mesh above the driver.
He resonator at least in golds is silk. At least that is what the manual says.

Jun 24, 2021 at 7:59 AM Post #3,295 of 4,363

Conclusions:

BTW...lately i've found one that (IMHO) is better than the 540 and it a Sony ( one that i bought as a joke and ended up laughing for how this thing sound, sound signature is like the 540 but revised 10 years after and bested )...maybe one day i'll reveal the one
Having both the Sextett MP and 540 ref.1 (600 Ohm). I have the exact same feeling. But the 540 Gold (300 ohm) is even more better. Same as 540 ref. but with more (relaxing) bass.

Jun 24, 2021 at 10:46 AM Post #3,297 of 4,363
Having both the Sextett MP and 540 ref.1 (600 Ohm). I have the exact same feeling. But the 540 Gold (300 ohm) is even more better. Same as 540 ref. but with more (relaxing) bass.
Yeah, the ref 1 is more like a 430.5 (if You have seen one, under the hood). The real mature 540 is ref 2 and gold ( 300ohm versions are the Best, as 300vs600 means faster transient/ tighter bass response)

Last edited:
Jun 25, 2021 at 12:58 AM Post #3,298 of 4,363
Can You take a screen of this particular?
Will do once I get home. Have a destroyed pair of golds that I can take a picture of. But reading the manuals all top ones that is HD 540hd 250 and HD 540rg use silk resonators. There is no plastic ones.

Jun 25, 2021 at 10:04 AM Post #3,299 of 4,363
Will do once I get home. Have a destroyed pair of golds that I can take a picture of. But reading the manuals all top ones that is HD 540hd 250 and HD 540rg use silk resonators. There is no plastic ones.
Sad to hear one gold destroyed, I'm 100% sure the resonator is plastic as i've glued back the plastic net again on top of it after cleaning the drivers. The silk part ( and the only one mentioning it is 2leftears in one post) would be in the center dome of the drivers.

Attachments

• IMG_20210625_172444.jpg
    IMG_20210625_172444.jpg
    266.8 KB · Views: 0
Jun 25, 2021 at 11:38 AM Post #3,300 of 4,363
Sad to hear one gold destroyed, I'm 100% sure the resonator is plastic as i've glued back the plastic net again on top of it after cleaning the drivers. The silk part ( and the only one mentioning it is 2leftears in one post) would be in the center dome of the drivers.
My mistake. The sennheiser documentation only mentions the silk resonator nothing about the plastic parts on top. Pretty sure those are not part of the sound tuning as there is barely any plastic in them no like the hd480s which had a massive disc resonatorthere blocking almost all of the driver. The way I saw it the plastic part just protects the driver and gives a surface for gluing the protective mesh in place since there is just barely any there. But can be totally wrong here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back