Wow! Sennheiser HD 540 Reference are so good.
Nov 4, 2020 at 1:41 PM Post #2,987 of 4,363
I think ... which headphones would be an upgrade to the Hd 540 RG, with the same qualities but raised to a higher level? - I'm not sure, they faithfully follow every upgrade of my system (unlike the other two headphones that I currently have HE 560, Fidelio X 2), the quality of their sound image is raised to a higher level with each upgrade!
Would it be headphones from a sennheiser workshop or some other?

Nov 4, 2020 at 3:18 PM Post #2,988 of 4,363
I think ... which headphones would be an upgrade to the Hd 540 RG, with the same qualities but raised to a higher level? - I'm not sure, they faithfully follow every upgrade of my system (unlike the other two headphones that I currently have HE 560, Fidelio X 2), the quality of their sound image is raised to a higher level with each upgrade!
Depends on what your looking for? Your HE560 for sure has more sub bass and impact. Id say a Focal Clear would be a good upgrade. HD540 Gold is not 100% all arounder like clears...

Last edited:
Nov 4, 2020 at 3:38 PM Post #2,989 of 4,363
Depend on what your looking for? Your HE560 for sure has more sub bass and impact. Id say a Focal Clear would be a good upgrade... HD540 Gold is 100% all arounder like clears...
The Fidelio X 2 is a headset with a good sound stage size and accentuated low frequencies (but everything is well matched), but in my current system the lows are just strangely separated from other tones (like a hump on a man).
And by switching from Marantz HD DAC 1 to the current system, I didn't notice any sound improvement in the HE 560 (they were never bashead, although they have quality lows when it's on the record)

Nov 4, 2020 at 9:19 PM Post #2,992 of 4,363
I've tried EQ-ing them a bit and def bass starts distorting around +4 db low shelf at moderate volumes. Was really trying to see how it took to it. I just keep +2 to +3 max db low shelf

Last edited:
Nov 4, 2020 at 9:28 PM Post #2,993 of 4,363
540_6xx.jpg

I measured them against the 6xx on my Darkvoice 336se matched at +84db @300 hz with HPN compensation. They're def brighter but I don't find that 8.5k peak to be that bothersome generally and of course with the E.A.R.S you can basically ignore that 4.5k measurement. That roll off at 300hz is pretty good though lol :)

Last edited:
Nov 4, 2020 at 9:32 PM Post #2,994 of 4,363
I'm going to measure the 600 ohm version also and do a comparison writeup probably in the near future too. I wish I had the ref 1s non gold to compare also.

Nov 5, 2020 at 12:26 AM Post #2,995 of 4,363

HD800 ... Add SDR mod to mimic the 540G's balance.

Nov 5, 2020 at 3:44 AM Post #2,996 of 4,363
Hi there, do you have access to a small digital multimeter? If so, it's very easy to find the impedance of your headphones, just by connecting the black wire from the meter to the ground pin on the main headphone jack (the one you plug in to your amp) and the red wire from the meter to either the left to right channel part of the jack - it doesn't matter, they should both read very similar. Just make sure the meter is set to OHMS and the 2K or 2000 ohms setting, whichever yours has. Easy done in seconds. Happy testing.
sorry, I obtain zero as the only answer on my meter. It is set to ohms, as explained, but I couldnt find how to set it on 2k, even if pressing on the range button. My meter is a dvm1500 velleman. to answer about the serial numbers, the 300 ohms is 18266, the 600, 10572and for the half way is 003299

Last edited:
Nov 5, 2020 at 3:54 AM Post #2,997 of 4,363
HD540G has punchy bass, but it does not have the extension like a more modern headphone. :)
personnally, I don't feel the same about it. I had the hd 800, and I find it tiring to listen to after a while, because it is like watching life thru a magnifier all the time. it doesn't sound as real as the 540 G in my mind and the extension and scene of the 540 are perfect to me, great realism. I never get tired listening to the 540g and as a self made sound engineer I am using it nearly all day long.

Last edited:
Nov 5, 2020 at 8:53 AM Post #2,998 of 4,363
personnally, I don't feel the same about it. I had the hd 800, and I find it tiring to listen to after a while, because it is like watching life thru a magnifier all the time. it doesn't sound as real as the 540 G in my mind and the extension and scene of the 540 are perfect to me, great realism. I never get tired listening to the 540g and as a self made sound engineer I am using it nearly all day long.
HD800 plus tubes might be more enjoyable :smirk:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back