Wow! Sennheiser HD 540 Reference are so good.
Sep 25, 2020 at 8:03 PM Post #2,960 of 4,363
I may be missing something ... but what is an HD540 GR? I know of the 540 Gold, but GR?
Thanks.

Sep 26, 2020 at 1:58 AM Post #2,962 of 4,363
I may be missing something ... but what is an HD540 GR? I know of the 540 Gold, but GR?
Thanks.
My GR or Reference Gold with your favourite cable. Posting because It is a really bliss.

IMG_20200926_075424.jpg

Sep 26, 2020 at 2:05 AM Post #2,963 of 4,363
My GR or Reference Gold with your favourite cable. Posting because It is a really bliss.

IMG_20200926_075424.jpg
Ah, nice. So, RG then instead of GR. Got it :) Indeed that cable looks familiar.

Sep 26, 2020 at 4:34 PM Post #2,965 of 4,363
Do you like it with stock pads or velour more? I was in love with the velour pads! :] I even put HD250 pads on mine with the dampening. It's fun experimenting with those<333333

The white original ones are the best in my opinion, then the velour original that sound quite similar also if filled with other kind of foam. I know that Is impossibile to find new original since years because of that Is really important when buying these cans to know the conditions of the pads.
I also like the p-leather Wang that are able to make the sound also more punchy and the middle more dark and interesting but at the cost of confort and stage less wide.

Last edited:
Sep 27, 2020 at 3:37 AM Post #2,966 of 4,363
The white original ones are the best in my opinion, then the velour original that sound quite similar also if filled with other kind of foam. I know that Is impossibile to find new original since years because of that Is really important when buying these cans to know the conditions of the pads.
I also like the p-leather Wang that are able to make the sound also more punchy and the middle more dark and interesting but at the cost of confort and stage less wide.
Interesting ... I don't find any lack of stage width whatsoever with my Wang pleathers. Might be a difference of amplifier/DAC etc, the Mogami #2893 is the same, is it not? Or do you have the thicker version? Then again I don't have a set of the white velour pads either. I DO have a much more vertically extended stage height though than any of the velour pads I've used since new in '89. Uncanny the way even the bones of my head seem to vanish.

Sep 28, 2020 at 5:36 AM Post #2,967 of 4,363
Interesting ... I don't find any lack of stage width whatsoever with my Wang pleathers. Might be a difference of amplifier/DAC etc, the Mogami #2893 is the same, is it not? Or do you have the thicker version? Then again I don't have a set of the white velour pads either. I DO have a much more vertically extended stage height though than any of the velour pads I've used since new in '89. Uncanny the way even the bones of my head seem to vanish.

I discovered hd540 thanks to this thread in 2015 and since then I've been a fan. I've owned 2 Reference Il, 2 Reference I and a Gold; all with stock pads in good shape but one that I renewed with new foam.
I still owe 4 of them even though the Gold Is my favourite of the bunch. I tried also different pads from China: velour that I really don't like, Wang that I liked and the stock hd250 that I hated soon and I destroyed to Save the plastic ring to use for Wang p-leather. I also managed to have a Mogami 2893, the thinner, thanks to you that I always use with them.
I really like the timbre of Wang mainly the middle that are really able to give more phisicality to the sound. Low are also improved. When I got the stock pads I spent LOT of time skipping between them because I really didn't want to loose the improved timbre but then I gave up with Wang because of stage representation, openness and comfort because after one and half hour I was tired of listening while with stock velour and white I last hours and hours.
I don't think It depends of amp and dac because I've tried also different of them, this is my opinion and I wanted only to tell you that Is from experience and not a fast opinion.
English Is not my first choice.. sorry
Good listening

Last edited:
Sep 28, 2020 at 6:09 AM Post #2,968 of 4,363
I discovered hd540 thanks to this thread in 2015 and since then I've been a fan. I've owned 2 Reference Il, 2 Reference I and a Gold; all with stock pads in good shape but one that I renewed with new foam.
I still owe 4 of them even though the Gold Is my favourite of the bunch. I tried also different pads from China: velour that I really don't like, Wang that I liked and the stock hd250 that I hated soon and I destroyed to Save the plastic ring to use for Wang p-leather. I also managed to have a Mogami 2893, the thinner, thanks to you that I always use with them.
I really like the timbre of Wang mainly the middle that are really able to give more phisicality to the sound. Low are also improved. When I got the stock pads I spent LOT of time skipping between them because I really didn't want to loose the improved timbre but then I gave up with Wang because of stage representation, openess and confort because after one and half hour I was tired of listening while with stock velour and white I last hours and hours.
I don't think It depends of amp and dac because I've tried also different of them, this is my opinion and I wanted only to tell you that Is from experience and not a fast opinion.
English Is not my first choice.. sorry
Good listening
Good for you. The good velour pads are certainly even more comfy than the pleather pads, but I don't have any .. other than the 'wang' velour pads which sound great on the HD430's but not good for me on the HD540's, they lose too much openness and image height and damage that wonderful linear bass extention of the 'wang' pleathers. I can actually listen with them (pleather) for hours and have done so many times, but I would agree that the cloth original pads were the very best for comfort. Any of the Dekoni pads I tried were horrendous. Glad you like the Mogami cable, it is simply the most neutral/natural/linear and quietest cable I've ever heard with the HD540s. And every other headphone I've made them for. I bought a 1M length of the interconnect too recently and it's as utterly quiet as the #2893. I shall be buying more of it.

Oct 4, 2020 at 7:17 AM Post #2,969 of 4,363
Thanks.
Of course GR means nothing, somehow I mumbled it, of course RG.
I built my entire current system (musician pegasus-bryston-bha1-cardas clear light) around HD 540 RG, and they transmit everything faithfully ... I had no doubt, it might be pretentious to say that up to 2k few headphones can match them .
I am now looking for a quality XLR and USB cable

Oct 4, 2020 at 5:15 PM Post #2,970 of 4,363
HD 540 RG
For sure the sound is so natural, the timbre of instruments really true but never forget that one the main quality of this headphone Is that Is really able to disappear from your head and let the sound arrive from all around you like if really someone is playing next to you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back