Wow! Sennheiser HD 540 Reference are so good.
Aug 19, 2020 at 6:19 PM Post #2,941 of 4,363
Hey guys, does anyone happen to have a extra driver for the 540 reference 2?
Unfortunately, one of the drivers of my reference 2 is starting to sound fuzzy. I don’t know what’s up with it exactly.
Btw, for those wondering, I have both the reference 1 600 ohm version and the reference 2 and between the two, the reference 2 sounds much better!!!
It was a total shock for me but thats the case.
Well I'm totally shocked too! Just kidding :) I've heard both of them with my own cable and although I found similarities in communication and rhythmic abilities, the forward peak with the 300 ohm Ref IIs put me off a bit, not as even as the Ref 1s. Maybe that's what you like about them, and/or suits your hearing better? Both are fine cans though! I can easily imagine that the Ref IIs might suit some more laid back music at times.

Aug 19, 2020 at 6:48 PM Post #2,942 of 4,363
Well I'm totally shocked too! Just kidding :) I've heard both of them with my own cable and although I found similarities in communication and rhythmic abilities, the forward peak with the 300 ohm Ref IIs put me off a bit, not as even as the Ref 1s. Maybe that's what you like about them, and/or suits your hearing better? Both are fine cans though! I can easily imagine that the Ref IIs might suit some more laid back music at times.
so interesting that you perceive it that way. By me, it seems to be the opposite. The reference 2 sounds so balanced and nice!! Just better sounding in general. And the 1 sounds more sharp at times.
Idk 😐 maybe the reference 1 needs more burn-in time (I got it new) bc I read on the chat how the reference 1 600 ohm needs a 3000 (!!!) hour burn-in time. Or I need to get a better cable (which I would love to, if someone can help me do that)

Aug 19, 2020 at 11:53 PM Post #2,943 of 4,363
The cables may be the difference. I used my Mogami cable for both pairs, never the stock steel or the standard thin replacement cables.

Aug 20, 2020 at 1:03 AM Post #2,945 of 4,363
I would love to get such a cable. Do u know how/where I can get such a cable?
It's well worth reading back through this thread, those very questions were answered only a few pages back and several other times back a ways. I bought Mogami #2893 off 'the reel' from an importer and made my own cables. For all of my headphones! It's a far quieter, neutral, extended and natural sounding cable than any of the stock ones I've heard.

Aug 20, 2020 at 1:10 AM Post #2,946 of 4,363
It's well worth reading back through this thread, those very questions were answered only a few pages back and several other times back a ways. I bought Mogami #2893 off 'the reel' from an importer and made my own cables. For all of my headphones! It's a far quieter, neutral, extended and natural sounding cable than any of the stock ones I've heard.
ok.

Aug 20, 2020 at 8:49 AM Post #2,947 of 4,363
Hey guys, does anyone happen to have a extra driver for the 540 reference 2?
Unfortunately, one of the drivers of my reference 2 is starting to sound fuzzy. I don’t know what’s up with it exactly.
Btw, for those wondering, I have both the reference 1 600 ohm version and the reference 2 and between the two, the reference 2 sounds much better!!!
It was a total shock for me but thats the case.
Try to remove the pad and check if some hair Is between the foam and the driver, sometime happens. Hope for you Is only that.

Aug 20, 2020 at 10:44 AM Post #2,948 of 4,363
I would love to get such a cable. Do u know how/where I can get such a cable?

If you are not up to making your own cable Venus_Audio on eBay has reasonable and high quality cables.

Sep 1, 2020 at 5:06 AM Post #2,951 of 4,363
My new 'wang' pleather and velour pads arrived today. I usually buy the velour as well because they come with the thinner inner foams, this time, not only did I receive four foams per pad set, I got some extra thinner ones in there, so I have a spare set plus some thicker ones which I don't use.
My well used 'wangs' have been retired and the new ones restore the superb tonal balance that the Ref1s have with the Mogami cable attached, ie, extremely well balanced from top to bottom, beautiful focus and top end cymbal details that shimmer into space. Bass is very even and extended, a little more focused than with the worn pads. Effortless organic flow.
I used a Technics SL1700 DD turntable with a new Audio Technica VM95SH (Shibata tip) into the Perreaux SP100 pre-amp with it's Class A h/p amp. Superb. Donald Fagan's excellent album, The Nightfly, with it's bouncy fluid rhythms is simply wonderful. That AT VM95SH cartridge has become one of my favourite cartridges from over a 45 year period! Wow what a bargain bit of class it is! I'm not sure that I want to listen to any cart with an 'ordinary' elliptical tip again, such is the stunning detail and tracking ability of the new AT series carts. It sails through any LP with ease.
P9010339.JPG

Sep 1, 2020 at 12:30 PM Post #2,952 of 4,363
My new 'wang' pleather and velour pads arrived today. I usually buy the velour as well because they come with the thinner inner foams, this time, not only did I receive four foams per pad set, I got some extra thinner ones in there, so I have a spare set plus some thicker ones which I don't use.
My well used 'wangs' have been retired and the new ones restore the superb tonal balance that the Ref1s have with the Mogami cable attached, ie, extremely well balanced from top to bottom, beautiful focus and top end cymbal details that shimmer into space. Bass is very even and extended, a little more focused than with the worn pads. Effortless organic flow.
I used a Technics SL1700 DD turntable with a new Audio Technica VM95SH (Shibata tip) into the Perreaux SP100 pre-amp with it's Class A h/p amp. Superb. Donald Fagan's excellent album, The Nightfly, with it's bouncy fluid rhythms is simply wonderful. That AT VM95SH cartridge has become one of my favourite cartridges from over a 45 year period! Wow what a bargain bit of class it is! I'm not sure that I want to listen to any cart with an 'ordinary' elliptical tip again, such is the stunning detail and tracking ability of the new AT series carts. It sails through any LP with ease. P9010339.JPG
These pillows look very comfortable

Sep 1, 2020 at 6:24 PM Post #2,953 of 4,363
These pillows look very comfortable
They are very comfortable! I used the old ones for hundreds of hours. Incredibly light combo with the HD540 Ref 1s.

Sep 4, 2020 at 12:21 PM Post #2,954 of 4,363
Before I decide on an amplifier, how to pair pipes with r2r? Is it better than S / S, or not?
I ordered the MUSICIAN PEGASUS and I want to choose a good match.I would like it to be MICROZOTL MZ2, but ..
I am confident that the HD 540 GR will give me a new level of satisfaction.

Last edited:
Sep 14, 2020 at 4:54 AM Post #2,955 of 4,363
Hi guys, I asked this question a while ago but have had no replies: has anyone here used their HD540 Ref1s with a Project Ember II amplifier, and if so was it a good match? I know someone here has, though it was a while ago when it was mentioned. Thanks if anyone can let me know your thoughts on that amp. Cheers!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back