Wow! Sennheiser HD 540 Reference are so good.
Jul 15, 2020 at 11:26 AM Post #2,899 of 4,363
No, they are a particular blend of plastic. The voice coils of the drivers ARE aluminium, they have a tendency to highlight the upper mids/lower treble a little and especially with the stock steel cable, exaggerating any hot recordings. The combination of pleather pads and Mogami cable I use ameliorate that a great degree and only show it up with particularly hot recordings and/or bright electronics and cables. I loved them anyway when I had only stock cables for years, they are far more Reference quality now in balance.
I think it's the lack of metal in some ways that benefits the HD540 Ref 1s, the plastic seems to have little colouration of it's own, but doesn't ring like metal and it certainly does not hinder the expansion of the soundstage.
I've been listening to them this morning via my hot-rodded h/p amp, via a refurbished Sonic Frontiers SFL-1 hybrid pre-amp (my own work) and fed from the QP1R and new Audioquest Big Sur analogue cable. A short warm up and I just went WOW! WAR - Live went to another level of sheer realism at being there at a live funk soul concert in the 70's, top to bottom transparency, big and open soundstage, superb metallic cymbal detail and natural organic though taut bass, fluid. An awesome combination.
[/QUO

Last edited:
Jul 17, 2020 at 3:35 PM Post #2,901 of 4,363
I make my own, buying the straight cable from a dealer, then soldering jacks and pins either end. All of my cans use Mogami, all of them were noticeably improved. It allows for an extremely neutral and natural soundscape, extended frequency balance, beautiful detail and expands upon the Ref 1's already gifted abilities with timbre, rhythmic integrity and amazing disappearing act when upon ones noggin. The HifiMAN HE400S may produce finer detailing and focus, but I know they are on my head as a piece of hifi gear even when they sound wonderful, their soundstage vertically is compressed compared to the Ref 1s. I dissolve and become a part of the music with the HD540s.
Mogami cable used to be available from an eBay company called Venus Audio, I don't know if they're still available there. Since you live in NY, you ought to be able to find a dealer there, I know there is a US Mogami dealer: http://www.mogamicable.com/category/bulk/microphone/quad/
You can buy the HD650 capsule jacks from eBay, same for the h/p jack on the other end.
I’m looking at the website right now.
Where on the website can I get the cable?

Jul 17, 2020 at 7:51 PM Post #2,902 of 4,363
I’m looking at the website right now.
Where on the website can I get the cable?
The link above takes you directly to the correct page, choose the #2893(W2893), not the larger #2534. It's worth reading the "Why Mogami?" section for information, if you haven't already. You will likely have to go to the "Dealers" section to find one near you and order from there, as I did here in OZ.
It looks like the link I sent you is the main importer's site, not where you can actually buy the cable from.

Last edited:
Jul 17, 2020 at 8:02 PM Post #2,903 of 4,363
@ sennsay
What is your opinion about the CARDAS CLEAR LIGHT cable, for HD 540?
I don't have one, T 1000, no experience with that cable and HD540's. I know of their reputation among the hifi community and it's generally pretty high. Whether the HD540's are worth spending that much on a cable may depend a great deal on the quality of signal and electronics ahead of them. There is a possibility that some cables may exacerbate the upper mid/lower treble highlighting that the HD540s can give with some cables and hot recordings, the stock steel cable being a good example.
The Mogami cable I use is extremely neutral and will present only what is on the recording, hot, dull, grainy or magnificent. I cannot tell you what the Cardas Clear would be like with the Ref 1s, though there may be others here that have experienced that combination.

Jul 18, 2020 at 3:42 AM Post #2,904 of 4,363
Just bought a HD 540 Gold <10k serial number and a HD600. Looking forward to compare them.
My HD540 just arrived. It's the Gold version with serial no. 9918 so i guess it's 600 ohm. It needs also a little bit more power than the hd600.

First impression:
wew. Just sounds completely different to all new headphones. It's extremely natural, even more than the HD600, with even smaller soundstage. I'd say it's the smallest soundstage i've ever heard. Sound just starts right next to your ears. Maybe because your ears lay direct on the driver whereas in most modern headphones there's more distance. It gives you a bit of that feeling when you had your first pair of 10 € in ears and your smartphone and didn't care about sound quality so there was nothing missing.

However i read some people are substitung their HD800 with the HD540 and i can't see how that works because i would describe both as the exact opposite. I prefer the sound of the HD600 and the HD540 over the HD800 but they are clearly so different in their presentation that i can't imagine someone who likes the HD800 would sell it after buying the HD540.

Jul 18, 2020 at 4:16 AM Post #2,905 of 4,363
My HD540 just arrived. It's the Gold version with serial no. 9918 so i guess it's 600 ohm. It needs also a little bit more power than the hd600.

First impression:
wew. Just sounds completely different to all new headphones. It's extremely natural, even more than the HD600, with even smaller soundstage. I'd say it's the smallest soundstage i've ever heard. Sound just starts right next to your ears. Maybe because your ears lay direct on the driver whereas in most modern headphones there's more distance. It gives you a bit of that feeling when you had your first pair of 10 € in ears and your smartphone and didn't care about sound quality so there was nothing missing.

However i read some people are substitung their HD800 with the HD540 and i can't see how that works because i would describe both as the exact opposite. I prefer the sound of the HD600 and the HD540 over the HD800 but they are clearly so different in their presentation that i can't imagine someone who likes the HD800 would sell it after buying the HD540.
Glad you're enjoying the HD540 Refs. The 'small' soundstage may be a result of cable or electronics, or the pads with them. They are capable of so MUCH more! Mind you, some music has almost no soundstage either, and other pieces are extraordinary. They will be 600 ohms and there will be a slight increase in power needed over the HD600s. The Ref 1s are capable of a big stage in vertical height as well! Way better than many new cans I've heard for years, including my HE400S, despite them have deeper pads and angled drivers.

Jul 18, 2020 at 11:10 AM Post #2,906 of 4,363
I don't have one, T 1000, no experience with that cable and HD540's. I know of their reputation among the hifi community and it's generally pretty high. Whether the HD540's are worth spending that much on a cable may depend a great deal on the quality of signal and electronics ahead of them. There is a possibility that some cables may exacerbate the upper mid/lower treble highlighting that the HD540s can give with some cables and hot recordings, the stock steel cable being a good example.
The Mogami cable I use is extremely neutral and will present only what is on the recording, hot, dull, grainy or magnificent. I cannot tell you what the Cardas Clear would be like with the Ref 1s, though there may be others here that have experienced that combination.
I have no experience with hi-end headphones, but in order as I was in possession are: AKG k240, HD 540 ref., HD598, Philips fidelio x1, x2, HD700, HE 560. Most of all capable and enjoy listening more with the HD 540.
Of course they deserve such cables.
On my HD DAC 1 the amp section is great but the dac is bad so I will have to get some decent dac

Last edited:
Jul 18, 2020 at 11:18 AM Post #2,907 of 4,363

First impression:

I don't believe you bought a broken unit, I think it's up to the song you listened to. Of all the headphones I wrote, the HD540 gold has the biggest scene, bigger than the Solaris SE

Jul 18, 2020 at 3:43 PM Post #2,909 of 4,363
You guys really say that the HD540 has a big soundstage? Then something must be wrong. My unit sounds too good to be broken but it has litterally no soundstage. The cable and the pads are the original ones i think. The cable feels very cheap.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back