Wow! Sennheiser HD 540 Reference are so good.
Jun 24, 2020 at 11:42 PM Post #2,866 of 4,363
Schiit Asgard 3 here.
Yes, that is an option I'm considering too. Good combo for you? It ought to have plenty of drive for 600 ohms. Both are a similar price here in OZ.

Last edited:
Jun 26, 2020 at 9:47 AM Post #2,867 of 4,363
Yes, that is an option I'm considering too. Good combo for you? It ought to have plenty of drive for 600 ohms. Both are a similar price here in OZ.
Yes drive 600 ohm no problem.

Jun 27, 2020 at 6:58 PM Post #2,868 of 4,363
Yes drive 600 ohm no problem.
I also got very lucky when I ordered mine last year. It was in the very small, less than one week window that they offered us a line level card for $20US. I really wanted to continue to use my Mani phono pre. I also bought the closeout Bifrost multibit gen5 USB this early winter.

Jul 2, 2020 at 4:20 AM Post #2,870 of 4,363
Hi, I'm aware this is hijacking the thread a little, but I'm asking here because you guys clearly know how to get beautiful sounding audio for not that much money. Does anyone have any particular recommendations of second hand speakers, in a way like the 540s, that are hidden gems from the past that still sound incredible now. Appreciate the advice! And sorry again that it's off-topic.
TSM Puris 300 or 400 or Tsm puris 82. The exact same thing. Whole spectrum sounds the same as with my 540s. Amazing studio monitors.

Jul 3, 2020 at 2:20 PM Post #2,872 of 4,363
So concerning the gold versions is it right that before serial nr. 10 000 everything had 600 ohm and from 10 000 to 20 000 everything had 300 ohm?

If so then the Gold with 600 ohm should be the best of the 540 line right?

Jul 5, 2020 at 7:43 PM Post #2,874 of 4,363
I own and love my HD540 Ref I 600 ohm. I have a chance to get a pair of HD800S. I've seen discussion here comparing HD540 to HD800, but not too much comparison to HD800S. Has anyone tried both HD540 and HD800S and can you speak to how they compare?

I always dreamed of getting HD800 or HD800S, but then got HD540 and fell in love, but I have a chance to get HD800S at a decent price and I have a fear that even at that decent price (let's just say it would be under $800 USD, used), I may feel that HD800S isn't worth the money in light of my HD540 Ref I 600 Ohm, including a feeling that I'm spending a lot of money to get the same quality sound as HD540 Ref I 600 ohm.

Let's just keep this to using the cans for music purposes. I also use cans for gaming with my Creative G6, and may use 800S for gaming, but my intended primary use would be for music.

Last edited:
Jul 8, 2020 at 12:48 AM Post #2,875 of 4,363
My HD540 Ref 1s have gone to a whole new level of openness last night; I'd recently bought two new Audioquest cables for my systems, a 1M Big Sur analogue cable to use with the QP1R and it's own DAC for simplicity, and an AQ Carbon optical cable to run from the QP1R purely as a source component to an external DAC, in this case it's usually the Schiit Audio Modi Multibit.
So yesterday, I'd just finished making a new rack system for a bedroom set-up, allowing me to run one or two turntables, a couple of pre-amps and headphone amps etc much more easily and with plenty of space. After playing a couple of LPs, I had the Schiit Magni 3 amp well warmed up and the AQ Big Sur cable coming from the QP1R, popped on the soundtrack from The Doors film, specifically Riders On The Storm, The End (the drum dynamics are fantastic!), LA Woman and When The Music's Over. Let's take the latter piece, I spent most of it with my mouth open! The latter track from the Doors literally jaw-dropped me! Talk about one heck of an upgrade in cable! Top end detail, sheer overall transparency and natural midrange was knockout in itself - no matter how loud Jim's voice became - let alone the bass guitar coming from well outside and below my left ear capsule, I think I listened to most of it with my mouth open :) Hypnotic and riveting. The 30 year old Senn HD540 h/phones have always been vanishingly open, but they've gone to a whole new level now.
The AQ Carbon optical cable has the same level of transparency upgrade and in fact both cables now show up some limiting factors in the amplification, especially in sheer bass dynamics and weight, so the search will continue for a more significant amp to drive 600 ohms especially. I'm still liking the idea of the Project Ember II, but the new Schiit Asgard 3 could also be on the cards.
Whether some folks believe that cables can make such a difference is entirely moot to me, after 45+ years of music and hifi training for my ears, I know when something is just different or truly a better performer. These Audioquest cables are a significant upgrade from the lower level AQ Evergreen and Belkin optical cable! They WILL show up the quality of both source and other electronics elsewhere, as I have discovered with various combinations so far. They'll also tell you what is right with a system. Speed, timing, rhythmic integrity, midrange naturalness and high frequency detail are at a new level and boy do I love it!

Jul 9, 2020 at 4:21 PM Post #2,877 of 4,363
Hey guys.
So I had the hd 540 reference 1 600 ohm version for quite some time. I’ve been running them balanced off my thx AAA 789 and topping d70. They sounded great, amazing actually!! (Obviously on good quality recordings)
Recently I got the darkvoice 336se.
I just plugged them in ten minutes ago and I was BLOWN AWAY!!!!!!
The sound that’s coming through these cans is sooo delicious 😋
i was floored!!!
I didn’t expect what was coming but let me tell u, it surprised me big time!!!
Btw I’m using only the stock tubes and they sound Awsome!!!
I can’t Evan imagine how much better it could get with better cables.
Btw I recently bought the HEDDphone and believe it or not, the 540’s sound better when it comes to timbre. Yes, a 2000 dollar headphone doesn’t come close, how crazy is that?!
when it comes to dynamics and bass, the HEDDphone is better no question. But the 540’s have a certain magic that I’ve yet to hear from another headphone.

Jul 10, 2020 at 2:10 AM Post #2,879 of 4,363
Hey guys.
So I had the hd 540 reference 1 600 ohm version for quite some time. I’ve been running them balanced off my thx AAA 789 and topping d70. They sounded great, amazing actually!! (Obviously on good quality recordings)
Recently I got the darkvoice 336se.
I just plugged them in ten minutes ago and I was BLOWN AWAY!!!!!!
The sound that’s coming through these cans is sooo delicious 😋
i was floored!!!
I didn’t expect what was coming but let me tell u, it surprised me big time!!!
Btw I’m using only the stock tubes and they sound Awsome!!!
I can’t Evan imagine how much better it could get with better cables.
Btw I recently bought the HEDDphone and believe it or not, the 540’s sound better when it comes to timbre. Yes, a 2000 dollar headphone doesn’t come close, how crazy is that?!
when it comes to dynamics and bass, the HEDDphone is better no question. But the 540’s have a certain magic that I’ve yet to hear from another headphone.
That's what a number of us fans here have come to hear from them, they are simply 'special'.
Actually, the Darkvoice 336 was often recommended with the 300 ohm HD650s for years and sometimes still is. An electronic match just for starters that can even be improved upon with some upgrades. It's not been in my realm of experience though, so I can't say more than that. Glad you have found a great match though!

Last edited:
Jul 10, 2020 at 2:21 AM Post #2,880 of 4,363
That's what a number of us fans here have come to hear from them, they are simply 'special'.
Actually, the Darkvoice 336 was often recommended with the 300 ohm HD650s for years and sometimes still is. An electronic match just for starters that can even be improved upon with some upgrades. It's not been in my realm of experience though, so I can't say more than that. Glad you have found a great match though!
Yes indeed!!
Btw, the reason why I got the headphones to begin with is bc of this thread.
And when I first got it, I was a bit disappointed. I was playing it single ended from the 789 and it sounded very thin, barely any bass etc.
it had good timbre but with no ‘meat’. Then I played it balanced and it opened up. A more 3D image of the music, better bass recuento etc. And then this pair...
(P.s i have the 6xx also and I haven’t really heard anything unique with the DV. Could be there is something but Bc I’m listening to the 540’s which is sooo much better, I don’t hear the improvement in the 650’s. Idk. Either way, I barely use them anymore bc the 540’s are just better for almost everything)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back