Wow! Sennheiser HD 540 Reference are so good.
Jul 10, 2020 at 2:43 AM Post #2,881 of 4,363
Yes indeed!!
Btw, the reason why I got the headphones to begin with is bc of this thread.
And when I first got it, I was a bit disappointed. I was playing it single ended from the 789 and it sounded very thin, barely any bass etc.
it had good timbre but with no ‘meat’. Then I played it balanced and it opened up. A more 3D image of the music, better bass recuento etc. And then this pair...
(P.s i have the 6xx also and I haven’t really heard anything unique with the DV. Could be there is something but Bc I’m listening to the 540’s which is sooo much better, I don’t hear the improvement in the 650’s. Idk. Either way, I barely use them anymore bc the 540’s are just better for almost everything)
Haha! That is my experience with two pairs of HD650s, I sold them off and kept the Ref 1s, despite that fact that there are minor fine details more available with the HD650s, they just don't cut it with soundstage width, depth and height (pinched upwards), not even with the Mogami cable - which made the usual improvements though small, if noticeable. The bass depth I experienced the other night with the Ref 1s was knockout, they've always been good at that, even with the stock steel cable, but far more realistic and palpable now. I would like to hear my Ref 1s (as they are now with better cable and pads) balanced. With some cans it appears balanced operation makes only very small gains and is sometimes more coherent used single ended. With the systems I use here, the Mogami'd Ref 1s are quite stunning.

Last edited:
Jul 10, 2020 at 2:47 AM Post #2,882 of 4,363
Haha! That is my experience with two pairs of HD650s, I sold them off and kept the Ref 1s, despite that fact that there are minor fine details more available with the HD650s, they just don't cut it with soundstage width, depth and height (pinched upwards), not even with the Mogami cable - which made the usual improvements though small, if noticeable. The bass depth I experienced the other night with the Ref 1s was knockout, they've always been good at that, even with the stock steel cable, but far more realistic and palpable now. I would like to hear my Ref 1s, as they are now with better cable and pads, balanced. With some cans it appears balanced operation makes only very small gains and is sometimes more coherent used single ended. With the systems I use here, the Mogami'd Ref 1s are quite stunning.
That’s interesting what you’re saying regarding the cable.
I heard about this mogami cable but I don’t know what it is exactly or where to get it. Can u plz tell me where I can get it?
Thanks!

Jul 10, 2020 at 3:13 AM Post #2,883 of 4,363
That’s interesting what you’re saying regarding the cable.
I heard about this mogami cable but I don’t know what it is exactly or where to get it. Can u plz tell me where I can get it?
Thanks!
I make my own, buying the straight cable from a dealer, then soldering jacks and pins either end. All of my cans use Mogami, all of them were noticeably improved. It allows for an extremely neutral and natural soundscape, extended frequency balance, beautiful detail and expands upon the Ref 1's already gifted abilities with timbre, rhythmic integrity and amazing disappearing act when upon ones noggin. The HifiMAN HE400S may produce finer detailing and focus, but I know they are on my head as a piece of hifi gear even when they sound wonderful, their soundstage vertically is compressed compared to the Ref 1s. I dissolve and become a part of the music with the HD540s.
Mogami cable used to be available from an eBay company called Venus Audio, I don't know if they're still available there. Since you live in NY, you ought to be able to find a dealer there, I know there is a US Mogami dealer: http://www.mogamicable.com/category/bulk/microphone/quad/
You can buy the HD650 capsule jacks from eBay, same for the h/p jack on the other end.

Jul 10, 2020 at 3:21 AM Post #2,884 of 4,363
I make my own, buying the straight cable from a dealer, then soldering jacks and pins either end. All of my cans use Mogami, all of them were noticeably improved. It allows for an extremely neutral and natural soundscape, extended frequency balance, beautiful detail and expands upon the Ref 1's already gifted abilities with timbre, rhythmic integrity and amazing disappearing act when upon ones noggin. The HifiMAN HE400S may produce finer detailing and focus, but I know they are on my head as a piece of hifi gear even when they sound wonderful, their soundstage vertically is compressed compared to the Ref 1s. I dissolve and become a part of the music with the HD540s.
Mogami cable used to be available from an eBay company called Venus Audio, I don't know if they're still available there. Since you live in NY, you ought to be able to find a dealer there, I know there is a US Mogami dealer: http://www.mogamicable.com/category/bulk/microphone/quad/
You can buy the HD650 capsule jacks from eBay, same for the h/p jack on the other end.
Oh wow, that’s really cool!!
So basically I need to get 1.a cable 2. Capsule jacks?
What do i search on eBay?
Hd 650 capsule jack?

Jul 10, 2020 at 4:02 AM Post #2,885 of 4,363
That's what impresses me the most about them, the huge stage. It's not like you're in a concert hall, it's like you're in ... space, and the sounds or the whole sections are placed precisely somewhere in that space. I'm not sure if it's up to source, or headphones (many years ago I listened to HD 540 references, now gold) but earlier that picture was even clearer.
The HD 700 is a good headset, but it doesn’t have that capability.

Jul 10, 2020 at 8:12 AM Post #2,886 of 4,363
Oh wow, that’s really cool!!
So basically I need to get 1.a cable 2. Capsule jacks?
What do i search on eBay?
Hd 650 capsule jack?
I came across these first, these are my preferred pads (my choice after a lot of playing around with others) that give me the soundstage so expansive in height as well as depth: https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Replace...-530-Headphones/261338110308?var=560432574135
I'll be buying another set of the PLEATHER pads next week, NOT the velour versions (they are better on the HD430s). There is a BUT though, the inner foams that come with them are far too thick for best SQ, I used the inner foams that came with the velour versions instead - yes, that meant I had to buy them too, it was a trial and error thing at the time, seeing which pad types I preferred on the Ref 1s. The foams with the velour 'wang' pads are half the thickness of the foams that pair with the pleather pads, weird, but there you go. Fortunately I had both types of pads and once I'd done a swapsy with the inner foams, it was a huge Eureka moment!
You may be quite happy with the pads you've got, no problem, just sharing what I've done to get the sound quality I have now.
As an example of capsule connectors, you'll need at least this quality of plug, you can find even better examples around, but these ones are actually just fine, many of us here have used them: https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/HEADPHONE-UPGRADE-PLUG-PIN-Sennheiser-HD580-HD600-HD650-Headphone-Connector-DIY/201061875466?_trkparms=aid=1110009&algo=SPLICE.COMPLISTINGS&ao=1&asc=20200423103423&meid=d1d88048623042b5943c49f03bb89888&pid=100011&rk=2&rkt=12&mehot=ag&sd=301885272286&itm=201061875466&pmt=1&noa=0&pg=2047675&algv=default&brand=Unbranded&_trksid=p2047675.c100011.m1850
You will need to do the very slightest of trims on the plug when you do the job, just so that the pins go in far enough for the HD540s. There are several examples of how to do that in this thread, a very sharp scalpel is all that is needed.
For the 6.5mm plug on the end, there are any number of good plugs around. I just used a 6.5mm gold plated Neotech one.

As cables go, these look nice too, well made - I couldn't find Venus Audio around ... yet: https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/1-4-inc...280046?hash=item2834c900ee:g:lgUAAOSwhvFZH1J9
You may still have to trim the plugs ever so slightly.

Last edited:
Jul 10, 2020 at 8:14 AM Post #2,887 of 4,363
That's what impresses me the most about them, the huge stage. It's not like you're in a concert hall, it's like you're in ... space, and the sounds or the whole sections are placed precisely somewhere in that space. I'm not sure if it's up to source, or headphones (many years ago I listened to HD 540 references, now gold) but earlier that picture was even clearer.
The HD 700 is a good headset, but it doesn’t have that capability.
Yes, IMMERSIVE is what I call the experience, in with the musicians as opposed to watching them from a distance. Organically immersive.

Jul 10, 2020 at 9:37 AM Post #2,888 of 4,363
Yes, IMMERSIVE is what I call the experience, in with the musicians as opposed to watching them from a distance. Organically immersive.
Good observation
Yes, of course, it can be misunderstood, I was thinking about their ability to listen to EDM. Earlier today, I listened- Symphony No.5-Gustav Mahler , it's like sitting in the middle of a well-acoustic hall (stream with Spotify), and on the performance of Stevie Ray Vaughan - Tin Pan Alley, I hear like I'm a little man sitting on a microphone 10 inches from the guitar.Plus, when they warm up (my experience) they sound very clean with good energy, with great stereo recording and good instrumental texture. Such a presentation is not technically cluttered with details(such as HE 560 in 2D presentation), which is why I always enjoy listening
P.S.HE 560 are technically very good headphones, which I put above the HD 700 for listening pleasure, but compared to the HD 540 gold... is neglected

Last edited:
Jul 10, 2020 at 9:47 AM Post #2,889 of 4,363
I came across these first, these are my preferred pads (my choice after a lot of playing around with others) that give me the soundstage so expansive in height as well as depth: https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Replace...-530-Headphones/261338110308?var=560432574135
I'll be buying another set of the PLEATHER pads next week, NOT the velour versions (they are better on the HD430s). There is a BUT though, the inner foams that come with them are far too thick for best SQ, I used the inner foams that came with the velour versions instead - yes, that meant I had to buy them too, it was a trial and error thing at the time, seeing which pad types I preferred on the Ref 1s. The foams with the velour 'wang' pads are half the thickness of the foams that pair with the pleather pads, weird, but there you go. Fortunately I had both types of pads and once I'd done a swapsy with the inner foams, it was a huge Eureka moment!
You may be quite happy with the pads you've got, no problem, just sharing what I've done to get the sound quality I have now.
As an example of capsule connectors, you'll need at least this quality of plug, you can find even better examples around, but these ones are actually just fine, many of us here have used them: https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/HEADPHONE-UPGRADE-PLUG-PIN-Sennheiser-HD580-HD600-HD650-Headphone-Connector-DIY/201061875466?_trkparms=aid=1110009&algo=SPLICE.COMPLISTINGS&ao=1&asc=20200423103423&meid=d1d88048623042b5943c49f03bb89888&pid=100011&rk=2&rkt=12&mehot=ag&sd=301885272286&itm=201061875466&pmt=1&noa=0&pg=2047675&algv=default&brand=Unbranded&_trksid=p2047675.c100011.m1850
You will need to do the very slightest of trims on the plug when you do the job, just so that the pins go in far enough for the HD540s. There are several examples of how to do that in this thread, a very sharp scalpel is all that is needed.
For the 6.5mm plug on the end, there are any number of good plugs around. I just used a 6.5mm gold plated Neotech one.

As cables go, these look nice too, well made - I couldn't find Venus Audio around ... yet: https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/1-4-inc...280046?hash=item2834c900ee:g:lgUAAOSwhvFZH1J9
You may still have to trim the plugs ever so slightly.
Thanks so much for the time and help!!
Thing is, I don’t think I fully understand The instructions that you’re giving on how to do it. Would u able to post some pics to clarify?
Or if it’s already on the thread, what do I search to see how to do it?
thanks in a advance!!!

Jul 11, 2020 at 12:06 AM Post #2,891 of 4,363
I also like that they are as light as paper.
Does the memory deceive me, are the HD 540 references, the case made of aluminum?
No, they are a particular blend of plastic. The voice coils of the drivers ARE aluminium, they have a tendency to highlight the upper mids/lower treble a little and especially with the stock steel cable, exaggerating any hot recordings. The combination of pleather pads and Mogami cable I use ameliorate that a great degree and only show it up with particularly hot recordings and/or bright electronics and cables. I loved them anyway when I had only stock cables for years, they are far more Reference quality now in balance.
I think it's the lack of metal in some ways that benefits the HD540 Ref 1s, the plastic seems to have little colouration of it's own, but doesn't ring like metal and it certainly does not hinder the expansion of the soundstage.
I've been listening to them this morning via my hot-rodded h/p amp, via a refurbished Sonic Frontiers SFL-1 hybrid pre-amp (my own work) and fed from the QP1R and new Audioquest Big Sur analogue cable. A short warm up and I just went WOW! WAR - Live went to another level of sheer realism at being there at a live funk soul concert in the 70's, top to bottom transparency, big and open soundstage, superb metallic cymbal detail and natural organic though taut bass, fluid. An awesome combination.

Last edited:
Jul 11, 2020 at 12:12 AM Post #2,892 of 4,363
Thanks so much for the time and help!!
Thing is, I don’t think I fully understand The instructions that you’re giving on how to do it. Would u able to post some pics to clarify?
Or if it’s already on the thread, what do I search to see how to do it?
thanks in a advance!!!
You will probably need to go back over the thread and see what you can find, there have been constructional details scattered throughout it. You will need to purchase: cable; capsule plugs/jacks; a 6.5mm headphone jack. If you are poor or unskilled at soldering, you may be far better off buying one of the ready made quality cables from eBay, as I showed you a couple of posts ago. It may save you a lot of grief, then you can try cable construction later. Make sense?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back