Wow! Sansa Fuze- color me impressed- Fuze appreciation thread
Mar 13, 2014 at 9:36 PM Post #752 of 767
A great thing about the Fuze was its proper LOD. Do any of the more recent models enable this and is the connector the same as the fuze had?:)m

Sandisk gave up on proprietary connectors after the Fuze. If you really want a real line out, then get an ipod.

Mar 14, 2014 at 8:38 AM Post #753 of 767

Sandisk gave up on proprietary connectors after the Fuze. If you really want a real line out, then get an ipod.

Or just keep my Fuze
wink.gif

Apr 14, 2014 at 3:55 AM Post #754 of 767
Has anyone else had problems with the jack? Seems weak I can understand that my old mdr-v6 jack was a little on the heavy side but under a year later every time I move the player the left channel goes in and out.

Apr 14, 2014 at 12:05 PM Post #756 of 767
A great thing about the Fuze was its proper LOD. Do any of the more recent models enable this and is the connector the same as the fuze had?:)m

This an old discussion. 

The signal from the original Fuze line out is exactly the same as the signal from headphone jack out at full volume.  It's all digital.

Another way to say this is that if using an amp, there there would be no audible difference between the signal sent out by the headphone jack at full volume and the signal from the line out when the Fuze is docked.

Apr 14, 2014 at 12:21 PM Post #757 of 767
  This an old discussion. 

The signal from the original Fuze line out is exactly the same as the signal from headphone jack out at full volume.  It's all digital.

Another way to say this is that if using an amp, there there would be no audible difference between the signal sent out by the headphone jack at full volume and the signal from the line out when the Fuze is docked.

Well some folks do hear a difference.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/440251/wanna-audition-the-fuze-lod

With full-size low impedance, high efficiency headphones, the headout -> headphone amp (Neco V4) sounds slightly more grainy when I compare to LOD -> headphone amp.  With the latter, bass is also deeper and the whole sound is fuller and more natural.  With the Fuze's amp in circuit, it becomes tonallly greyer and slightly bleached out.

Apr 14, 2014 at 5:07 PM Post #758 of 767

Well some folks do hear a difference.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/440251/wanna-audition-the-fuze-lod

With full-size low impedance, high efficiency headphones, the headout -> headphone amp (see my sig) sounds slightly more grainy when I compare to LOD -> headphone amp.  With the latter, bass is also deeper and the whole sound is fuller and more natural.  With the Fuze's amp in circuit, it becomes tonallly greyer and slightly bleached out.

Its possible the input impedance on their amp is too low for a proper line out.  The Fuze's actually is high impedance.  But if so, thats just because their equipment isn't great.

Into well designed equipment there will be no difference.  Its exactly the same signal, just through high impedance rather than low.  Trust me, I programmed the volume mixer in the Rockbox driver.  If there was any difference, you'd have noticed when my code broke line out volume :)

Apr 14, 2014 at 5:23 PM Post #759 of 767
Has anyone had both the Fuse and Zip? I would like to know if there is a difference in soundstage.I ordered a Fuze a couple of months ago it still hasn't arrived and got an update it will arrive first week of May.I'm ready to cancel the order.But I got it for $177 Canadian.

Apr 14, 2014 at 6:10 PM Post #760 of 767
Has anyone had both the Fuse and Zip? I would like to know if there is a difference in soundstage.I ordered a Fuze a couple of months ago it still hasn't arrived and got an update it will arrive first week of May.I'm ready to cancel the order.But I got it for $177 Canadian.

$177? Holy crap....cancel it. The Zip has the same chip inside, and even without Rockbox, it actually plays back at the correct speed, unlike the Fuze.

Apr 14, 2014 at 6:15 PM Post #761 of 767
$177? Holy crap....cancel it. The Zip has the same chip inside, and even without Rockbox, it actually plays back at the correct speed, unlike the Fuze.

So the post I read that the Fuze has a superior DAC is BS.

Apr 14, 2014 at 6:22 PM Post #762 of 767
So the post I read that the Fuze has a superior DAC is BS.

Yes, the original Fuze, Clip, Clip+, and Clip Zip (all of which I have owned multiple examples of) all have the same chip inside. 

Apr 14, 2014 at 7:59 PM Post #763 of 767
Thanks Achemedisdead.I cancelled my order.Is stereo width the only way to increase the sound stage?

Apr 14, 2014 at 8:23 PM Post #764 of 767
Thanks Achemedisdead.I cancelled my order.Is stereo width the only way to increase the sound stage?

The stereo width in Rockbox is the only way I know for sure that could do it. I used to set mine to 110% for one particular set of closed headphones and it seemed to help.

I suppose it may be possible to tinker with the crossfeed settings and achieve further results, but I can't be sure, never having really messed around with them. 

Apr 15, 2014 at 8:04 AM Post #765 of 767
  Its possible the input impedance on their amp is too low for a proper line out.  The Fuze's actually is high impedance.  But if so, thats just because their equipment isn't great.

Into well designed equipment there will be no difference.  Its exactly the same signal, just through high impedance rather than low.  Trust me, I programmed the volume mixer in the Rockbox driver.  If there was any difference, you'd have noticed when my code broke line out volume :)

That's interesting
regular_smile .gif

Well, the input impedance of my portable amp (Neco Soundlab V4) is stated as 10Kohms. Is that not well-designed? 

My Denon amp has an input impedance of either 30Kohm or 16Kohm (depending on setting) and I'll give that a swirl later today (probably) with the Fuze and Fuze/LOD.  Let's see if there's any difference compared to the Neco.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back