Wow! Sansa Fuze- color me impressed- Fuze appreciation thread
Feb 11, 2014 at 9:49 PM Post #736 of 767
call me nostalgic but i just got myself an open boxed "new" fuze
biggrin.gif

fell in love with this baby! this would be my DAP only, no amp to go rig.

Feb 17, 2014 at 3:07 AM Post #737 of 767
I have three Fuzes myself, two black, one blue. Ironically, the best one of the bunch is a refurb that I got for $12 on ebay. A NIB one would pretty much be my holy grail but those are going in the $200 range these days. I still believe there is no better player ever made in terms of price/performance ratio.

I bought my first Fuze in 2009, loved that thing, a couple years later I lost it when my 18-month-old decided to see if it would float in the toilet (it did not). Went through just about every other reasonably priced thing I could find afterwards, Clips, a couple of Sonys, a Cowon, a couple of E200s, an iPod classic, Gigabeats and so on. Never found anything that fit my needs nearly as well.

Mar 6, 2014 at 12:44 AM Post #738 of 767
I've noticed that the replay gain really can change the soundstage when listening to my B&W P7's.   When I turn it down the imaging kind of fades into the background or when I have it up to 12 it sounds to brash.  It seems like a setting of 7.5 is ideal.

Can anyone tell me what they got after having a Sansa Fuze that sounded significantly better (without amp)?  I am looking at the Fiio x3...

thanks for your time,

jhv  

Mar 9, 2014 at 9:29 PM Post #741 of 767
  I've noticed that the replay gain really can change the soundstage when listening to my B&W P7's.   When I turn it down the imaging kind of fades into the background or when I have it up to 12 it sounds to brash.  It seems like a setting of 7.5 is ideal.

Do you mean the gain setting?  Thats just digital volume control.  It sounds harsh at +12 dB because its clipping the hell out of the music
eek.gif

Ideal is 0. If you want to make your music louder, use the volume control.  Thats an analog adjustment, so it won't distort or reduce quality.   The only reason to apply digital gain is if your run out of analog volume, and in that case its still usually not a good idea.

Mar 10, 2014 at 8:33 AM Post #743 of 767
My sansa fuze just broke after about 7 years, and I am heartbroken :frowning2: Why did they stop making them I just don't understand, they were the best ever. I bought a clip zip but its frigging tiny. Does anyone know if there are any decent alternatives that are in production (that I can buy)? I would be ever so greatful if you do! I'm in the uk as well :)

Mar 10, 2014 at 11:10 PM Post #744 of 767
Sandisk just came out with the Clip Sport. It is a bit larger than the Clip Zip, but not quite the size of the Fuze. The firmware is not good now, so I don't recommend buying it until they improve the firmware(some are waiting for Rockbox, however it might be over a year away?) . For now, the Clip Sport keeps the internal memory separate from card memory, so you can't have a playlist with both.
You might need to wait for Rockbox to solve this. Some say it also plays the tracks alphabetically, and not by track number(I imagine updated firmware from Sandisk will fix this). The Sandisk firmware has a song limit of 4,000 internal, and 4,000 on card memory. Rockbox should eliminate these limitations, however Rockbox may take a while to appear, as the Clip Sport hardware is so different from that of the Clip Zip.

I used to have a Fuze. Now I have the Clip Zip and Clip+. The Clip Zip is much more enjoyable to use with Rockbox. Did you Rockbox your Clip Zip?

Mar 11, 2014 at 3:27 PM Post #746 of 767
  Sandisk just came out with the Clip Sport. It is a bit larger than the Clip Zip, but not quite the size of the Fuze. The firmware is not good now, so I don't recommend buying it until they improve the firmware(some are waiting for Rockbox, however it might be over a year away?) . For now, the Clip Sport keeps the internal memory separate from card memory, so you can't have a playlist with both.
You might need to wait for Rockbox to solve this. Some say it also plays the tracks alphabetically, and not by track number(I imagine updated firmware from Sandisk will fix this). The Sandisk firmware has a song limit of 4,000 internal, and 4,000 on card memory. Rockbox should eliminate these limitations, however Rockbox may take a while to appear, as the Clip Sport hardware is so different from that of the Clip Zip.

I used to have a Fuze. Now I have the Clip Zip and Clip+. The Clip Zip is much more enjoyable to use with Rockbox. Did you Rockbox your Clip Zip?

It looks identical to the Clip Zip! I have just got my Clip Zip and loaded it with rock box and I have to say I am very happy with it as the Ekaran theme on is absolutely phenomenal! Works amazingly, listening to 1979 on it, on a pair of ev sx200s, ooooh :wink:

Mar 11, 2014 at 3:38 PM Post #747 of 767
The Clip Sport has a larger screen than the Clip Zip 1.4" vs 1.1". It also has 25 hr battery life vs just 15 for the Clip Zip. I will probably buy a Clip Sport when it goes on sale. In the US, the 4GB Clip Zip is only around $30 now that the Clip Sport is out. I guess the Clip Zip is much higher priced in Europe though.

Mar 11, 2014 at 6:52 PM Post #748 of 767
  The Clip Sport has a larger screen than the Clip Zip 1.4" vs 1.1". It also has 25 hr battery life vs just 15 for the Clip Zip. I will probably buy a Clip Sport when it goes on sale. In the US, the 4GB Clip Zip is only around $30 now that the Clip Sport is out. I guess the Clip Zip is much higher priced in Europe though.

Ooooh sounds good! I bought my zip for £20 refurbished in the uk two days ago! :)

Mar 12, 2014 at 12:40 AM Post #749 of 767
I was excited about the larger screen on the sport but then found out it was non drm and rhapsody would no longer work with it.  Sigh, guess its the trend...

jhv

Mar 12, 2014 at 3:03 PM Post #750 of 767
It does work with audible DRM though. Strange.

I think some said they had issues using some DRM files on card memory on the Clip+ and Clip Zip, but that it played fine from main memory.

I tried using my Clip+ in MTP mode and had issues with music(not even protected) on card memory. The same player worked perfectly
with the same music on card memory transferred in MSC mode.

MTP mode(needed for protected WMA files) seems to cause many issues. I guess that is why Sandisk decided to get rid of it for the Clip Sport.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back