Wow. Japanese Company Invents Disc with 1 Terabyte of Storage!!!
Aug 26, 2004 at 8:45 AM Post #17 of 24
oooohooo, a 1 tera disc =)

an application directly comes to my mind =)

D6-grade cinema recordings
evil_smiley.gif

imagine... a HDTV movie, all non-compressed, with 12 non-compressed sound layers... should be around a tera per movie.

data rate is 1500mbit/sec
icon10.gif

Aug 26, 2004 at 2:41 PM Post #18 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by GokieKS
Pffft... I remember paying $60 or $70 for some new SNES games back in the day. ¬_¬

~KS

hell yah!

70 bucks for chrono trigger, and that ain't no candy pants penny money either. that was a helluva lotta lawns to mow...but damn was it worth it...delicious triple tech...

mmm delicious terrabyte

Aug 27, 2004 at 12:40 AM Post #21 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by Edwood
Of course, it needs to be adopted as an industry standard.

And that right there is the problem. Remember the +/- wars? Well, actually, they're still going on. And now, with NEC's dual-layer burners (and pretty much no discs to burn them on) for under $100, there's another thing to mess up standards. I'm guessing - will win out eventually, due to it's much higher compatibility with set-top DVD players, if nothing else. Sadly, like Betamax vs. VHS, compatibility usually beats out performance. (no, I'm not saying + has advantages over -. They're practically identical. I'm just pointing out how these things usually turn out)

As for using these things to backup data, yeah, it'd be nice to be able to fit an entire drive image on one disc, but I'm betting it's going to be at least 2 years before these have any sort of foothold in the industry. They *might* be available for insane prices in 1 year, but not very commonly. Give 'em 5 years and they'll be just like DVD burners now. Of course, there's Blu-Ray to watch out for...

(-:Stephonovich:)

Aug 27, 2004 at 1:35 AM Post #22 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by D-EJ915
They do, but yours might be DVD-RAM, MO discs, etc. A lot of discs have come in caddies, even CDs.

They very well could be MO discs, as they're not terribly new and came from an institutional environment.

Aug 27, 2004 at 3:23 PM Post #24 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephonovich
BTW, MD1032, you could achieve a sampling rate of ~200MBps (bytes, not bits) for 80 minutes of audio on a terabyte storage device. Nice, eh?

Now you're talking!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back