Wow. Japanese Company Invents Disc with 1 Terabyte of Storage!!!
Aug 25, 2004 at 10:56 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

xtreme4099

Headphoneus Supremus
Aug 25, 2004 at 12:58 PM Post #3 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by Reck45
Of course no one really would need that much space...

My irony detector is malfunctioning today...

Add to...

The Internet is not strategic

Nobody will ever need more than 640K

biggrin.gif

The Idea of being able to back up my whole Hard disk in 60 seconds is extremely attractive - but I guess these things will be very expensive to start with...

Aug 25, 2004 at 1:19 PM Post #5 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by Reck45
Of course no one really would need that much space...

IMO, the only thing holding back a whole host of technologies is non-adequate storage. I could easily use up a terabyte without thinking about it too much. I haven't read this article yet, but access time is crucial too and shouldn't be traded off for storage size.

This really sounds like an interesting technology. I'm looking forward to reading more about it. As for speed, I think 1GB/sec more than does it.

Aug 25, 2004 at 1:55 PM Post #7 of 24
Interesting, and the thought of newer generation gaming using those discs is frightning. I remember when I still played sega, how it was only a few bucks for a game. Then came cd's which bumped the prices up to 20-30 dollars on playstation. Then DVD games which costs as much as 59 dollar sometime! DUDE! THATS MY HEADPHONES TRADED FOR 4 ps2 games?!?!?!?!?!? WHICH SOUNDS BETTER? 4 videogames or HD-600's? If they do use those new discs for next generation gaming, we would probably be blowing up to a hundred on a game. But life goes on.

Aug 25, 2004 at 2:48 PM Post #8 of 24
Now imagine making an 80-minute audio disk out of that! Talk about detail!! The rate would be like hundreds of MB's per second!

Aug 26, 2004 at 2:42 AM Post #10 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by hciman77
My irony detector is malfunctioning today...

Nobody will ever need more than 640K

Bill gates said that if i remember correctly..back in 1987 or so...

640k RAM..lol..

Aug 26, 2004 at 6:14 AM Post #12 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by D-EJ915
I remember those, they were 100GB before and the discs were 100 bucks each or something (probably more) OW! The "drive" was 70,000 USD
eek.gif

Did those disks come in caddies? I think I have two hanging on the wall of my workshop. They look pretty!
biggrin.gif

Aug 26, 2004 at 6:17 AM Post #13 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by enzoferrari650
Interesting, and the thought of newer generation gaming using those discs is frightning. I remember when I still played sega, how it was only a few bucks for a game. Then came cd's which bumped the prices up to 20-30 dollars on playstation. Then DVD games which costs as much as 59 dollar sometime! DUDE! THATS MY HEADPHONES TRADED FOR 4 ps2 games?!?!?!?!?!? WHICH SOUNDS BETTER? 4 videogames or HD-600's? If they do use those new discs for next generation gaming, we would probably be blowing up to a hundred on a game. But life goes on.

Pffft... I remember paying $60 or $70 for some new SNES games back in the day. ¬_¬

~KS

Aug 26, 2004 at 6:47 AM Post #15 of 24
Meh, this really isn't any different than when CDs or DVDs were announced. Think about it. They jumped from 1.44MB floppies (not counting ZIP disks, as those were never really used for commercial distribution) to 650MB (700MB isn't Yellow Book standard, you know, and wasn't standard for quite a few years). With DVDs, they jumped from 700MB (based on the fact that 99% of manufacturers were making CDs with this capacity) to 4.7GB, or 9.4GB for a double sided disc. (dual layer was to come later) DVDs haven't even yet caught on for commercial distribution of programs, though, and are still mainly relegated to use as movie media. There's a few games (and I think it an excellent idea, myself... 6 CDs for UT2K4 vs. 1 DVD) that offer it optionally, but it's still a few years off from widespread acceptance.

That being said, imagine what one could do with 1TB of storage on a 12cm disc. Insanely high-rez audio comes to mind, but I'm not sure if human ears could pick up the subtleties that would be introduced on that level of quality, nor if recording processes could produce a product worthy of that. You could fit about 200 DVD-quality movies (assuming 5GB per movie if all the extras were cut out; very liberal estimates), or about 1429 CDs (assuming worse-case scenario of 700MB per CD). That's something I've always thought about doing; putting a bunch of CD albums on one DVD for ease of use. You could fit about 6-8, depending on length. I'm not sure if a DVD can hold Redbook audio, nor if there's any DVD player that will read that, but if nothing else, burning them as data tracks and using a computer would always work.

BTW, MD1032, you could achieve a sampling rate of ~200MBps (bytes, not bits) for 80 minutes of audio on a terabyte storage device. Nice, eh?

(-:Stephonovich:)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back