Wow, I Just Crossed the $1000 Mark
Jul 27, 2007 at 8:50 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

Mr00000

100+ Head-Fier
Here I was, when I first joined Head-Fi, thinking that I would just research the pair of HD-595s I was looking at buying. Oh how innocent my wallet was back then...

How quickly did things change. First, I became obsessed about having a portable rig. I didn't even own a portable MP3 player before Head-Fi. Then, I turned my attention to having a "complete" home rig. In the end, I've spent more than $1000. All things considered, I don't think I've been happier about spending $1000 on anything else. I know that some of you have spent much less; some of you have spent much, much more. I feel that I've gotten pretty good "bang for my buck."

Beyond the money spent, beyond the gear sitting on my desk (at home or work)... I think that this little adventure in Head-Fi land has brought about a true, deep love for music.

I won't say that I'm done spending money on audiophile stuff, but I think that I am done on the big purchases for now (little dreams of tuberolling prancing through my mind). I just wanted to say damn you
very_evil_smiley.gif
/ thank you
580smile.gif
, Head-Fi.

Thanks much,

Mr00000

Jul 27, 2007 at 5:16 PM Post #2 of 12
It certainly don't end there!
Just look at those of us who have spent $10.000, and more...

Have a nice stay!
biggrin.gif

Jul 27, 2007 at 6:48 PM Post #3 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It certainly don't end there!
Just look at those of us who have spent $10.000, and more...

Have a nice stay!
biggrin.gif

Well, you really need a rig comparable to what the 6 moons people test on:

evil_smiley.gif

(you might be able to live without one. I have)

Jul 27, 2007 at 6:52 PM Post #4 of 12
^ Like the sig.
tongue.gif

Jul 27, 2007 at 8:53 PM Post #6 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Computerstud /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You got the senn hd595....are you building a rig around it? Man, I gotta say....the HD595 is one of my favorites....its so versatile. Watching tv, gaming, movies, and music all without the need of an amp....

Yep, I designed my home rig around my HD-595s. Take a look at my sig. Though the DAC is pretty universal, I picked the Darkvoice 336i based on how many people said that the 595s love tubes.

Jul 27, 2007 at 9:20 PM Post #7 of 12
I can't even believe how much I've spent on audio. No wonder I have no money.

Of course, my speaker rig is a bit more pricey than my headphone rig. I think the retail would be like $3,000 vs. $900 for my "portable" listening rig. Buying used of course has made the actual total spent much less. So I'd just like to thank all those people out there, "Thanks for giving me your old crap!"

biggrin.gif

Jul 27, 2007 at 10:33 PM Post #9 of 12
Ah, the $1000 mark is where things in this hobby start getting good =] Can think of so many sweet setups around that price range.

Jul 28, 2007 at 6:25 AM Post #11 of 12
There needs to be a support group for this forum. . . maybe a new section for recovering head-fi'ers, their families and their wallets.

Jul 28, 2007 at 6:52 AM Post #12 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by lostbobby /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, you really need a rig comparable to what the 6 moons people test on:

evil_smiley.gif

Well, the only gear on that list I want is this pair:
* Stefan AudioArt Hard-wired AKG K-1000

Users who are viewing this thread

Back