WOW have anyone tried this ??
Jul 6, 2007 at 12:48 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

Claus-DK

1000+ Head-Fier
When I use my Ipod I noramlly use the apple-dock, yesterday i thougth let make some fun, connected the lineout cable to my amp (x1) and from there into my reciever, what a difference, sparkling highs and firm deep bass..

This was a remarkeble change and I urge you to try it out..

Jul 6, 2007 at 3:22 PM Post #4 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by d-cee /img/forum/go_quote.gif
it's called bi-amping

try hooking up 2 headamps one after the other =D

You are confused as to what bi-amping is.

Bi-Amping is using two amps to power different drivers in a speaker. For example one amp to power the woofers, and one to power the tweeters.

Doing what you describe, using two headamps in series, will only serve to increase distortion.

Jul 6, 2007 at 3:52 PM Post #5 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by jbloudg20 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Bi-Amping is using two amps to power different drivers in a speaker. For example one amp to power the woofers, and one to power the tweeters.

Doing what you describe, using two headamps in series, will only serve to increase distortion.

indeed i am.

what's this process called? some others on this forum have done similar things with reportedly successful results

Jul 6, 2007 at 4:16 PM Post #7 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by d-cee /img/forum/go_quote.gif
indeed i am.

what's this process called? some others on this forum have done similar things with reportedly successful results

Well it is essentially using a preamp. That is what the OP is describing, and can be effective to increase SQ. It is generally not needed for headphone amps, as they are already their own preamps.

Jul 6, 2007 at 4:52 PM Post #8 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by jbloudg20 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

And noise.

Jul 6, 2007 at 4:57 PM Post #9 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Claus-DK /img/forum/go_quote.gif
When I use my Ipod I noramlly use the apple-dock, yesterday i thought let make some fun, connected the lineout cable to my amp (x1) and from there into my receiver, what a difference, sparkling highs and firm deep bass..

This was a remarkable change and I urge you to try it out..

Even though you've heard a significant improvement in SQ in what you did, you'll be perhaps surprised to learn that the Apple dock itself obscures the ultimate sound quality that the Ipod is capable of.

Have you ever tried a Line Out Dock? The SQ will blow you away!

Jul 6, 2007 at 6:59 PM Post #11 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Claus-DK /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I really thougth that the "line out" on the backside was a lineout, but I am not so sure anymore..

It is a line level output but the signal path it terrible, leading to a great deal of sonic degradation.

I don't know if you've ever taken one of those docking stations apart, I have, and I can tell you that you would be shocked to see the signal path.

Jul 6, 2007 at 11:59 PM Post #12 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by kwkarth /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't know if you've ever taken one of those docking stations apart, I have, and I can tell you that you would be shocked to see the signal path.

You can bypass it all if you want or you can remove 2 of the caps
and take the line out of the DAC from 2 small holes on the board
but you have to add some caps back in somewhere inline.

The mods, sounds better to me but is super fiddy and theoretically
worse than a straight line out.

The sound quality increase may be from the headphone amp
acting as a better impedance matching device than the dock
to amp alone.

People add tube buffers in-between stages and many amp
designs rely on buffering sections.

Some people have said that audio quality for some ipods improve
using the apple radio/remote thingy.

Bottom line if it sounds good it is good.

Jul 7, 2007 at 3:01 AM Post #13 of 13
Order some high quality lineout TURBO V8 idocks!

Just order some yesterday.

Lots of great reviews, and they are all hand made, fully customized to your spec. so i think they would definitely be better then your bog standard apple idock.

just search for "TURBO" on the memberlist and p.m./email him to send you a pricelist.

smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back