Wow, Grados are pure bliss!
Feb 23, 2007 at 3:52 PM Post #31 of 60
Because only by auditioning them by your own ears, you will know for sure
wink.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by silverrain /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I gotta ask -- if you were really expecting all that, why on earth did you buy them?

Feb 23, 2007 at 3:58 PM Post #32 of 60
Quote:

Originally Posted by silverrain /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I gotta ask -- if you were really expecting all that, why on earth did you buy them?

Because you can never know for sure until you try them. I was expecting a slow, dark, exceptionally bassy and trebleless headphone when I ordered my Senns, but luckily, that turned out to not be the case.

Edit: Damn, beaten to it.

Feb 23, 2007 at 4:10 PM Post #33 of 60
Quote:

Because only by auditioning them by your own ears, you will know for sure

True. Based on everything I read about Grados, I never even considered them -- I really dislike any equipment with bright or tipped-up sound. Couple of days ago I listened to the SR125. I wasn't even in the market for headphones, but I'm placing my order for a pair today. Point is, reviews are helpful but don't discount youir actual experience.

Feb 23, 2007 at 4:59 PM Post #34 of 60
I've had my SR225s for about three weeks now and I never ceased to be amazed at their sound. They are a bit brighter than I normally like, but they also have enough bass to balance it out nicely. BB King and Eric Clapton never sounded sooooo good!!!
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 23, 2007 at 5:15 PM Post #35 of 60
I agree with Devildog for pure energy the 225 actually surpases the RS-1 IMO. The RS-1 does many things better, but the 225 is a true value for that Grado in your face excitement ... thinking of adding liberators.... sorry wallet.

Feb 23, 2007 at 10:18 PM Post #36 of 60
You guys are bringing tears to my eyes . . . . I miss my sr225
frown.gif

It is on it's way back to Grado Labs for repair
(killed a driver doing a recable . . . had no problem the first 3 times, oh well.)

Odd thing, whenever I would go from my sr225 to my k701 I'd always feel the shortcommings of the sr225 were very apparent. Now, in the Grado's absense, I crave it!

Thankfully there is no audio store near here that has RS1 on display or my purse would be on the endangered species list.
Hopefully my sr225 will not be away long.

There is indeed something magical about Grado's!

Feb 23, 2007 at 10:35 PM Post #38 of 60
Quote:

Originally Posted by lmilhan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No, not at all.

This hobby is the epitome subjectivity.

As an example, I prefer even the SR-60s to the HD650s. I think Sennheisers are the most overrated phones on the planet. I'm not being bold with that statement, I am just voicing my own personal opinion based on real world experience. I'm sure there are plenty of people who would beg to differ and are obviously free to voice their own opinions as well.

Well even though I'm a HD650 fan and can't agree on them being the most overrated, I'll agree with you on the subjectivity part
biggrin.gif
The most overrated are probably Bose Triports or Sony MDR-V700DJs
icon10.gif
Seems that stats, AKGs, and Senns are all lumped together for classical cans. Of those three, I take Senns in a heartbeat. For rock, certain genres I still like the HD650. For really fast paced stuff, it's the SR325i.

When I first came on this site, most Grado fans told me I should try an Alessandro because coming from Senn, I wouldn't be used to brightness. Well I tried the SR60, and didn't see what all the fuss was about. My HD595 trounced it for everything. But seeing that I didn't find it harsh or anything, I thought I'd try seeing what Grado's brightest was going to be like. The SR325i is about the best compliment to the HD650 IMO. So I follow the Senn and Grado camps, and not so much the AKG and Beyer camps. That's just the way I roll
icon10.gif

Feb 23, 2007 at 11:18 PM Post #42 of 60
Just to keep the Grado love going...

I just got my babies back into my collection.

My 2nd pair of RS-1s arrived today. One of the biggest mistakes I ever made in this hobby was selling my first pair of beloved RS-1s. I will not be making that mistake again.

Listening to them with tube amplification with bowls right now, and I couldn't be happier.

These are the only headphones I have ever purchased twice, which is really saying something about how I feel about them (check my profile for other phones I have owned).

They will never be able to dethrone the K1000s (but c'mon, what ever will?). But they are a great compliment to the K1000s, and they come pretty close to bringing me the same amount of listening joy (just minus the soundstage).

My SR-225s (which served as a surrogate to the RS-1s while they were gone) will graduate to my portable rig.

And so the circle of life continues...

Happy days indeed.

Me =
rs1smile.gif

Grado RS-1 = pure expression of musical emotion. No other dynamic phone that I have heard to date gives me the emotional connection to my music quite the way a pair of Grados does.

Feb 23, 2007 at 11:31 PM Post #44 of 60
everyone needs to stop saying how Grado's are soo good for Rock... since that's what I listen to most of the time it makes me wonder if my HD580 will be worse than Grados. It also makes me want to try some Grado's

Feb 23, 2007 at 11:37 PM Post #45 of 60
Quote:

Originally Posted by RasmusseN /img/forum/go_quote.gif
everyone needs to stop saying how Grado's are soo good for Rock... since that's what I listen to most of the time it makes me wonder if my HD580 will be worse than Grados. It also makes me want to try some Grado's

With a post count of 200+ here at Head-Fi, you are doing yourself a GREAT disservice to not experience (at the very least) both the Sennheiser house sound as well as the Grado house sound.

Since you already have the Sennheiser house sound covered, you know what to do next.

I wouldn't be the least bit surprised to see you making a post in the near future going on and on about how amazing Grado headphones make your music sound, and how you can't believe how much you have been missing.

Time will tell.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back