WOW! Are these really worth this kind of money?!
Nov 23, 2006 at 8:04 AM Post #16 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by courierdriver /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've heard of these, too...but are they selling for over 1200-bucks, too?!
confused.gif

I agree that new is not always better; however, I'm not so sure that dropping $1200 (and climbing) on a stock, USED, no-longer-in-production headphone, is a wise move. First-off, there's no-warrenty. Second, if you want to keep it stock; where do you find parts? Third; for that kind of money; you could probably find a nice set of newer (still in production) Grado's , and have them modded (with, for example; HeadFile's Woodie and cable combo)...all for far less money.

It may be a stock, used, no-longer-in-production headphone. There may not be warranty, there may not be all that many parts around anymore. And you may be able to get a new Grado's modded for far less money.
But, these in the eBay auction will still be miles ahead in sound compared to the newer ones.
smily_headphones1.gif

If you think these are expensive for a Grado, PS-1's go upward of $1800 if I recall correctly.

Look at it this way, would you rather have a Ferrari 288GTO or a tuned Chevy?

Nov 25, 2006 at 12:02 AM Post #17 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by surfboardz26 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey courierdriver,

To stay on topic with your original question these hp-1000 may be very worth it for some and not at all for others just because as you know prefrence for sound is very subjective.

I have owned sr-60, rs-2, rs-1, gs-1000, & hp-2's and these headphones defiantly have held their own ground since the production has stopped. They differ in the other current produced Grados by the neaturality. Other Grados such as the rs-1 have more color and "warmth" to them which i find is slightly more enjoyable as apposed to the hp-1000's because they sound so damn neautral. Sometimes if find them boring, but other times they just sound soo accurate its amazing, Hence why they were made for recording engeneers. Nothing sounds colored or nothing is added to the sound. The hp-1000 are infamous for their bass. There is lots of it, and has deeper, and better extension than other grado's. I would say the bass is what i always fall for on these headphones. As for the price being worth it... again it comes down to prefrence, but I would say its definantly worth it.

Thanks, surfboardz26! That helps alot. Thanks for the comparisons. I hope I get a chance to hear these HP-1000's someday, with a synergistic front-end/amplifier combo. It sounds like they are very revealing; and would require a good source, high quality amp, and cables, to drive them.

I don't have either at the moment (although I AM upgrading my amp, currently); so IMO, these are way out of my league (not only price-wise, but gear-wise).

Thanks to everyone else who has responded to this thread. I was not aware before, that headphones could sell for so-much. Well, I AM NOW!
eek.gif
Personally, I'm gonna keep my eye out for HF-1, RS-1/2. I think they are a little more within my price-range.

Quote:

It may be a stock, used, no-longer-in-production headphone. There may not be warranty, there may not be all that many parts around anymore. And you may be able to get a new Grado's modded for far less money.
But, these in the eBay auction will still be miles ahead in sound compared to the newer ones.
If you think these are expensive for a Grado, PS-1's go upward of $1800 if I recall correctly.

Look at it this way, would you rather have a Ferrari 288GTO or a tuned Chevy?
Amps: Mapletree Ear+ HD, WXPH-12J
Headphones: Grado RS-1 / Beyer DT770/600
Sold:
Sources: Firestone Audio Fubar II, Nad C521i, Zhaolu 1.3
Amps: Eddie Current EC-01, Firestone Audio Cute Beyond
Headphones: K-340, SR-325i, Shure E4c, HD-595, 11 x Magic Red HD-595's, A700, HD-580
My Feedback

Sure, digitalmind; if I had the financial resources to own a Ferrari (and it's upkeep), I'd probably be happy to own one.

Until I get them though, I'm kinda still going to keep looking for high-performance headphone-gear...on a "CHEVY"-budget
icon10.gif
...just like I used to do with high-end home audio. I was just never aware that there are un-amped headphones out there, that sell for this much money. These comments have been eye-openers.

Nov 28, 2006 at 2:42 AM Post #18 of 27
In case anyone was curious; they sold today, for a cool $1901.01-US. If someone here bought-em...Congrats! Cosmetically, they seem to be in excellent shape. Cheers all!
icon10.gif

Mar 31, 2007 at 2:47 AM Post #21 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by braillediver /img/forum/go_quote.gif
“If someone here bought-em...Congrats!”

If someone here bought-em for $2000 they’re whacked!

Mitch

People spend that much on an amp, or source. Cables can also run you close to that. It's all whacked!
icon10.gif

Mar 31, 2007 at 3:14 AM Post #22 of 27
surely they are. you don't believe your eyes
icon10.gif

Mar 31, 2007 at 5:53 AM Post #25 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by courierdriver /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I was not aware before, that headphones could sell for so-much. Well, I AM NOW!
eek.gif

Thats nothing, the Sony MDR-R10 typically goes for between $4000-5000. The Sennheiser HE90s sell for even more than that.

Mar 31, 2007 at 6:23 AM Post #26 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by PsychoZX /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thats nothing, the Sony MDR-R10 typically goes for between $4000-5000. The Sennheiser HE90s sell for even more than that.

...and the Stax SR-Omega sell for $3,600 (the last two did).
So selling prices like this are certainly not unheard of in the headphone world.
lambda.gif

Mar 31, 2007 at 6:58 AM Post #27 of 27
Since this is a thread that relates specifically to an eBay ad that ended 4+ months ago, I'm going to close it. No sense in beating a dead horse.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back