WOW! Are these really worth this kind of money?!
Nov 23, 2006 at 12:30 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 27

courierdriver

Headphoneus Supremus
Don't start too many threads, but this caught my curiousity:

http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?...4745&rd=1&rd=1

As much as I love my 225's, I gotta wonder if these heavy looking, no-longer in production HP 1000's, are worth this kind of scratch. I know they are collectable, but jeez...that's alot of cash!
eek.gif
Especially when there are so many other, newer Grado cans out there. I've never heard this model, so I'm asking if there are any HeadFier's who have owned, and/or compared these, to other higher end Grado's, such as HF-1's, RS 1 and 2, or GS 1000. Please share your opinions, or a brief commentary on your preference.

Most importantly, please state in your opinion, if you think they are worth north of a G-note in sound quality (and at this point, there are still 5-days left in the auction). I'm sure I'm not the only one here, who thinks this is a bit overpriced. For this kind of money, there are so many other options, some of which even include an amp.

For (at this moment), at over $1200; these things better give me eargasms...for that matter, they should be doing my laundry!
tongue.gif
Just my opinion...
rolleyes.gif

Nov 23, 2006 at 1:56 AM Post #5 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by Walie /img/forum/go_quote.gif
(nobody tell him about the hp-1,2 or 3, or the ps-1, it may blow his mind)

I've heard of these, too...but are they selling for over 1200-bucks, too?!
confused.gif

Quote:

The newest model is not allways better.
Sometimes older is better.
Sometimes they even do your laundry.

Whatever. Never mind.

No, these won't do your laundry.

In a concert hall I hear no instrument separation, serious lack of detail and in most seats a rather poor soundstage. I can’t even hear the musicians shuffle their feet or turn their pages. The acoustics of the hall add colour to the sound of the orchestra. I guess an orchestra just can’t compete with high-end audio equipment…..

On electrostats music sounds so delicate and airy that even a very small breeze threatens to blow the musicians away.

Scotty757 definately plans to stay on HeadFi for a rediculous long time

REALITY is PERCEPTION

My feedback on Head-Fi

I agree that new is not always better; however, I'm not so sure that dropping $1200 (and climbing) on a stock, USED, no-longer-in-production headphone, is a wise move. First-off, there's no-warrenty. Second, if you want to keep it stock; where do you find parts? Third; for that kind of money; you could probably find a nice set of newer (still in production) Grado's , and have them modded (with, for example; HeadFile's Woodie and cable combo)...all for far less money.

These HP 1000's look like they are in really nice shape: they don't appear to have much wear on them. Still, I'd hate to spend that kind of money on a set of un-amped cans, and have to worry about actually using them.

For me, it's all about the level of enjoyment I get from my Grado's. I listen to my 225's exclusively now, and they are great with all the types of music I listen to. Yes, I'm looking to upgrade at some point; but this is the most expensive Grado headphone I've ever seen. I'm just curious to find out if people really think that this thing is worth (sound-quality-wise), this huge amount of money.

Nov 23, 2006 at 2:57 AM Post #6 of 27
It's kinda like looking at an old Ferrari, or Lambo. Sure, for that money you could get yourself a more modern car - say a Porsche, or a Maserati. But the old car beckons to you because of classic design and performance, and though it may not be as fast/good-handling, you love it still!

Honestly? The HP-series + the PS-series are worth that kind of money. The HP-1000 is a very unique collectible headphone that sounds heavenly.

Nov 23, 2006 at 3:05 AM Post #7 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kees /img/forum/go_quote.gif

No, these won't do your laundry.

But they will make you care a lot less about your laundry.

Nov 23, 2006 at 3:39 AM Post #9 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by JLai /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm just curious...how does changing the polarity change the sound? I always wondered why those switches were on there.

Difference in sound can vary from "what, did you change the switch yet?" to, "whoa, that sounds much better/worse."

Depends on upstream equipment, but mostly on the recording engineer's choice of polarity (not all are the same). The switch just reverses polarity (often called "phase"). Since the HP1000 series was aimed squarely at recording engineers and other professionals, it was a useful option.

Nov 23, 2006 at 4:14 AM Post #11 of 27
Nov 23, 2006 at 5:32 AM Post #12 of 27
with a places like head-fi they will always retain value.

you plop down 30k on that new ford explorer...5 years later its worth 5k. plop down 30k on that 80's 930 turbo....5 years from now its worth 30k, possibly more.

generally when something goes out of production, price drops initially, then once people realize that the item is still great (possibly better than the new ones) the price rises. sometimes back to original value, sometimes to ridiculous value (see american muscle cars) and sometimes to a respectable amt.

Nov 23, 2006 at 5:53 AM Post #13 of 27
Hey courierdriver,

To stay on topic with your original question these hp-1000 may be very worth it for some and not at all for others just because as you know prefrence for sound is very subjective.

I have owned sr-60, rs-2, rs-1, gs-1000, & hp-2's and these headphones defiantly have held their own ground since the production has stopped. They differ in the other current produced Grados by the neaturality. Other Grados such as the rs-1 have more color and "warmth" to them which i find is slightly more enjoyable as apposed to the hp-1000's because they sound so damn neautral. Sometimes if find them boring, but other times they just sound soo accurate its amazing, Hence why they were made for recording engeneers. Nothing sounds colored or nothing is added to the sound. The hp-1000 are infamous for their bass. There is lots of it, and has deeper, and better extension than other grado's. I would say the bass is what i always fall for on these headphones. As for the price being worth it... again it comes down to prefrence, but I would say its definantly worth it.

Nov 23, 2006 at 6:32 AM Post #15 of 27
This one on ebay seems to be in very good condition; the letters are all intact. I have not seen one such good condition for a long time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back